How many members do you follow?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Insider, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

None. I always felt a bit odd to not be following anyone, but after reading many of the responses from people I respect and admire, I now feel pretty normal. Thanks guys! :shy:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No problem, I've compiled a list of ways to make sure that doesn't happen. I'll let you know when the document's finished uploading. It'll take a while. ;)

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You miss Hobo Too? I know he was an tremendous asset to these boards.

5. green18

eddiespin likes this.
  6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Hobo followed me. I do miss him. But I was talking about RickieB.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  7. green18

I loved that guy.......I miss him too. It's sad when we lose a loved one........but his legacy endures (here) in what he has written and commented on. He'll always be with us........

8. CamaroDMD

It's true. He had a profound impact on me. I learned a lot from him and I really value that knowledge. He was a very nice person too.

mikenoodle and green18 like this.
  9. green18

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have one in that category. I wish he had eternal life. His mind held more information than I could ever possess. I'm sure he was more serious about collecting than I am. He was a true gentleman as well. No sarcasm, no belittling, when a question answered, it came from truthful knowledge. I have him still in my following catagory. Like you, I don't know his status, but he always helped.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    green18 likes this.
  11. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Green! You are alive! (Sorry, I just coundn't resist.) :>)

green18 likes this.
  12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lol! You got it down to a science. :)

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

RickieB was the one I was commenting on. He should have been honored in some special way. These are the people who have given themselves unselfishly to our hobby. Even the fools and the jerks dare not question what he offered.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just made you the first and only person I'm following. You are in group 1 in my book. Took me a while to see that but it's true.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

RickieB was the one person on the forum that I did have the pleasure of talking to via phone conversation. We had a shared interest outside of numismatics that was our topic of conversation. Shortly thereafter was when he became ill.

I have Gene Hessler's book "The Engraver's Line" because of RickieB, that with a obsolete banknote from Rickie's collection are treasures.

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. CamaroDMD

Although I never spoke to him directly, just here via posts and PMs and via e-mails...he is the person that sparked my interest in paper currency. I have one piece in my collection that was part of his. It's a 1934A $10 FRN from the Cleveland District. I think I won it in a contest that he was hosting here and it's a very special piece of my collection. It's a wonder example of an early FRN and holds a special place in my collection because of where it came from.

I learned a ton from him and developed a deep love for the vignettes featured on classic large sized currency.

Probably the defining memory of his kindness for me came after he had gotten ill and for the most part stopped posting here. It was shortly after I had finished graduate school and since I was now working I was wanting to grow my currency collection. I sent him an e-mail because I had a couple currency questions and figured he would be a good person to ask. My questions pertained to National Currency and he was more than happy to chat with me and answer my questions. He then asked me for my mailing address he had some reference materials he thought would be useful to me that he didn't need anymore. I figured it was some small pamphlets or printed out paperwork he had collected over the years. A short time later I received a rather large package in the mail and inside was a lovely copy of Don C. Kelly's National Bank Note reference book. Included was a nice note from Rickie. I still regularly use that book and that note is paper-clipped inside the front cover.

I don't know what his current status is. I know he was having some health issues and I saw that he made a somewhat "good bye" post a couple years ago and that he had sold off most of his legendary collection. I hope that he is still out there...enjoying his family and living a full life.

Catbert and saltysam-1 like this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I also had the pleasure of talking one on one with RickieB on the phone. We talked about him attending the Baltimore show one Spring while he was in town on business....truly a pleasure !
    I also miss Dave Mac My Irish brother from a different mother who's wit and kindness was always a pleasure. Maine Bill is another member missed his finds in this hobby were top of the mark.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Wow, TYVM. That's some way :jawdrop::joyful: to start the day! One day I hope to actually deserve your compliment. I think there are several members here that most should follow. As I wrote earlier, you can find all their activity quickly.

I have a BS! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Funny story, shortened due to time. I like to organize. when I joined a dating site, they sent me hundreds of photos from a forty-mile radius. I spent the first few days DELETING anyone who was not attractive - it's like our "Ignore" feature. Each day, I would remove any new photos. After a few days, I was having trouble deleting folks and called the company. I had "blown" their software program as apparently, no member had ever deleted over a thousand images. They got it fixed for me and after a week I had about 50 -60 real interesting prospects. I met about ten (who were interested in me also) and after a few months met my wife! She lived several miles away right off the road I took to work every day! She collected coins too. :)

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

31, but a few haven't been active in awhile.

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I just "unfollowed" a few :yack::yack::vomit: who have not been posting that I can do without.

Draft saved Draft deleted