How many graded coins did you actually get graded yourself?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Half Dime, Feb 11, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Let's face it, we've all likely owned a graded coin at some point or another. Whether it be graded by PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, or others like SEGS, PCI, and UGS, you've likely owned one of these. For example, I own many graded coins, including an ANACS MS68 2013-S quarter, but the question is: how many graded coins do you own that you actually got graded yourself?

I am a collector that sells graded coins after buying them from individuals, which makes me sort of a middle man. I know all about the values of the coins I sell, and I know how much to buy them for to sell them at low prices. However, to be honest, I have truly never gotten a coin graded myself! This is mainly due to lack of knowledge of fees and shipping costs through companies.

Places on eBay like M. Barr Coins, Sirius Sports Cards, and many others sell these graded coins mostly from PCGS and NGC. M. Barr has free shipping on their stuff, and I have gotten a graded proof coin as low as $6. On Sirius Sports Cards, I recently got some proof coins, with one being about $4. The question is: could there be a way to sell PCGS coins so cheap and make money?

I am a firm believer that UGS can rise to the occasion in coin grading as I own a 1968-S PR-65 half dollar from them. It appears undergraded after inspection, but sadly, they would likely have to be the company to sell a MS 1893-S Morgan or a 1964 SMS half dollar before anyone found out about them.

It all comes back to this question: how many graded coins do you have that you actually graded yourself?

Disclaimer: I have only bought a UGS-graded coin; I am not an owner of this company nor am I a stockholder.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Thanks! I've been looking to stir up some long-needed questions, and I felt this was one of them. :)

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

0.......I'm of the mind set, want it graded? Buy it graded.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I'm with you on that one. In my opinion, those fees have been getting way too high especially with PCGS. It's no wonder people are turning to ANACS, ICG, and maybe even SEGS for grading common coins.

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I've never gotten a coin graded. I have un-graded a bunch of them over the years, though.

RonSanderson likes this.
  8. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I've never sent anything in to be graded. I currently only have 1 slabbed coin in my collection (a cleaned 40% silver half dollar for teaching purposes) because most of what I collect is stuff I don't need someone else to authenticate or grade for me.

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

How is it possible to un-grade a coin? Sounds like it would only be done if you bought it from a company like SGS or INB.

10. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I'm usually the same way. Most of mine came from lowball prices on them, as many of my MS68 S ANACS ATB quarters were just $6 (they're real, trust me on that one). I buy those proof coins s for reselling them at a local coin club meeting.

Other than that, I'll buy them if I find a good deal on it.

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  11. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I’d have to look at my inventory spreadsheet for accurate numbers but just off the cuff I’d say I have probably 150 PCGS and NGC graded coins, split half and half between the two. Of the NGC coins, probably a third of those I had graded myself.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Coins only one but I do have a number of CSA Notes that I submitted. I also submitted one Continental Dollar. All received better grades than I thought.
    44CC15F5-A7F1-4053-8ED1-EB54037B1A47.jpeg 9C9BB48B-BD90-43BF-BE85-0E264D204DD9.jpeg

13. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

If you thought they were worth less than they are, it's good that you did get them certified! Hopefully you can get a great resell price out of it.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I have no interest in selling them. I’m a collector. Lol

15. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

All I can say is don't hide it in something that you have ten others of. LOL

Overall it's great that you collect them, as you likely know their value.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have had several hundred coins graded over the years. Most of the time I just wanted a nice holder to protect the coin. It was also fun to test my grading skills. It's nice to have them ready to sell when the day comes.

17. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

That couldn't be truer. Your advantage is that the certified coins will bring in more money, which makes it a return on your investment over many years. As long as you can avoid sky high fees, I say keep doing what you're doing.

18. numist

numist Member Supporter

I sent in a batch to ANACS to take advantage of the show special. Most of those coins I've been sitting on for quite some time with a couple of exceptions. The last time I sent some in was to PCI. I've purchased from M.Barr as well and pleased with the results. There are some great deals out there if you know where and when to look.

19. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

0-haven't found any treasure yet,still every time i go for a swim i always look down for a sign,nothing yet but some have gotten lucky after a hurricane.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Like 30.
    15 or 20 to PCGS and currently have 12 at ANACS, should get them back mid-March.

Never heard of UGS but sounds like a basement slabber. Perhaps that PF-65 was cleaned.

21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

5. I sent them to ANACS in 2014 before I really knew better.

A 1964 Washington I thought was MS63 came back MS65, out of a mint set that the plastic case cracked apart.

A Peace Dollar I thought was proof-like came back Details-Polished.

A 1932 Washington with a raised linear bar in front of George’s nose came back as counterfeit. Body bagged.

The other 2 were really well preserved wheat cents that came back lower grade than thought, both brown but with sharp details.

All in all, it taught me that I didn’t know enough, and shortly thereafter I joined Coin Talk to learn. Within 3 months all my preconceived notion bubbles had been popped with Crocodile Dundee’s massive knife and I began to cobble together the proper, accurate reasons why, or why not, to send to a TPG. It only cost me approximately $130 to learn this very important lesson…imo…Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted