How many Full Steps do you see?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Apr 14, 2021.

?

How many of these Jefferson Nickels have PCGS FS (Full Steps)?

1. 0

2. 1

3. 2

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8

10. 9

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Depends how much I drink . :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

7 of them are 5FS.

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Sorry, I was trying to relate full to sharper. I looked at some BU and see your point.

6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

7. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Amen...agree...and I'm not particularly picky about them. They're either FULL, end-to-end across, or they're not. I have the feeling this may be what's called a trick question of some sort/purpose. Will add this...not sure for how long the "edit" is good for: There appears to be a shadow in many of the photos, across the bottom of the step sets, partially if not totally obscuring the bottom step or steps, if there are any...so hard to tell. Also, I don't know how PCGS interprets...one grader to another on any given day/coin...what is/isn't "shallow marks"...or is/isn't "not too deep"...etc. What's "shallow" or "deep" from one opinion/assessment/interpretation to another...?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  8. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'm no good at this, but IMO, 4,5,8, & 9 would make the cut, but I'm being pretty lenient on 5 & 8

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I’ve got 6: 1,5,6,7,8,9

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Then only steps in this entire exercise that have large sections missing are the 6th and final step, which isn't required to be full by either NGC or PCGS to qualify for the full steps designation.

Everyone of these coins is either full steps or close enough to full steps to warrant submission to PCGS. The premise that these coins are not full step because "large sections (33%-60%) or more blotted out" is patently false. Shown below is an example of a coin with six full steps followed by a coin with only 5 full steps.

Jefferson Nickel with 6 Full Steps:

[​IMG]

Jefferson Nickel with 5 Full Steps:

[​IMG]

In the second photo, almost the entire 6th step is missing, but the coin still qualifies for FS by PCGS and 5FS by NGC, it doesn't matter that the final step is "blotted out." I am not trying to pick on you, but I felt the need to respond because your comment is extremely misleading and is going to confuse the heck out of other people.

PS: Which one did you give Full Steps?

GoldFinger1969 and Beefer518 like this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I went for 3.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  12. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

While I picked 4, I do think they're almost all on the fence and could go either way when submitted.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

skip

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I guess I'm old school, but I see two I'd call 5 steppers, but none I would consider Six Full Steps, though I vaguely recall a modification to the steps at some point. So it's possible those are older and never had six steps. Of course after RK in the 80s, I often see 96 steps... (2 eyes x 8 incisions x 6 steps)

15. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Hey Lehigh.....I am not at all a collector of this coin but I wanted to GTG....so I hope I didn't screw up your thread. :D

I actually see only 5 steps on your 6 FS nickel....I guess I am not counting/seeing the top 6th step. On the 5 step nickel....I'm seeing 4 full ones and that 1st step seems mostly "blacked out" so I may not have counted it. But did you count this as 5 steps because of that step or the "6th step" at the top which I also didn't count on the 6 step nickel ?

That 6th top step in both nickels is confusing me....it's much "thicker" than the others so I wasn't sure it was a step or part of the building or landing.

I believe it was Nickel #5 that I saw 5 full steps.....I just got home, I'm double-checking.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  16. Lehigh96

No biggie, and you didn't mess up the thread, but I knew you were referring to the 6th step with your comment and just wanted to clarify that the 6th step doesn't mean anything in relation to the PCGS FS designation.

When you count steps, you count the complete lines that you can see and then add one to that total to get the number of steps. So in the first example I showed, there are 5 complete lines which would equal 6 full steps. The second photo only shows 4 complete lines equaling 5 full steps. The counting of the steps starts from the top and works downwards, so the 4th line separates the 4th and 5th steps, with the 4th step being above the line and the 5th below it.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

upload_2021-4-16_3-9-11.jpeg This is looking through packaging at a 1958 Proof. This is borderline to me.

ps Not having the same standards as a TPG is nothing new for me. So if your question is how a TPG will grade the steps, then my opinion is worthless. It's the difference between whether they WILL grade something FS and whether they SHOULD grade something FS.

TPGs are first and foremost businesses designed to make money. If the market says you aren't giving out enough FS designations, you lower your standards. If the market says you give out too many, you raise your standards. This is are business decisions, not numismatic decisions.

I'm beginning to think there are far more businessmen than numismatists in the hobby.

End rant.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Dynoking and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  18. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Why add 1 ??

19. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

20. Lehigh96

The line represents the riser, and if the riser is complete, then the step above & below must be complete.

21. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

How can we agree on FS when the TPG's don't??

Mac McDonald likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted