How many copper 1982 cents are out there Vs. zinc 1982 zinc cents?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Drago the Wolf, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Sure hate to drag this one out but to Quote a Dr. Sol TAylor of The Signal, and who knows if he really knows anything, he stated:

The mints requested that spent military shell casings, mostly naval ordnance, be recycled and used for coinage, since the shell casings were also made of a brass alloy like the cent. In 1944 and 1945, the mints produced billions of the shell-case cents which, at a glance, looked just like the pre-war bronze cents. However, many had colorful greenish and yellowish streaks, or even thin black lines.
    Later analysis showed that the ingredients in the explosives, such as phosphorus and manganese — even in minuscule traces — can discolor the alloy. Even today, most "brilliant uncirculated" specimens of 1944 and 1945 cents show these colors. By 1946, the mints returned to commercial bronze strips for coining cents.
    Had to edit this since I just found this from the Coin Resource Web Site:
    Quote:
    "All of the materials used for producing our coins are purchased from commercial manufacturers. The United States Mint obtains one-cent coin blanks already made, but produces the blanks for five-cent coins and the cupronickel clad coins from strip. Coin strip is fed into high-speed automatic presses which cut the coin blanks, known as planchets. "Unquote I guess.
    This would further indicate that the Mint really has no idea of what our Cents are made of exactly. Although as with any organization, someone gives them statistics of what they require. HOWEVER, even in the production of steel beams and columns for buildings, there is what is called a tolerance in production materials and the exact statistics. Further indicating no one on Earth really knows what is in our coins. HMMMM.

Sure is lots of contradicory information about out PENNIES. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

But Lange contradicts at least some of that;

That is a lot of "augmentation. Translating, it means that at most only 1/6 (18%) of the metal came from shellcases. Lange them goes on;

4. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

I could see the return of naval ordnance, but I highly doubt that battlefield soldiers and marines were policing their rounds and returning them.

5. Kirk Chatelain

Kirk Chatelain New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted