How many Ancient collectors are on CT?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Harfoush

Harfoush Junior Member

1 here !!!!! :)

Cheers,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Hmm... quite a few more collectors of ancient coinage in the forum than I thought.

I thought we were a band of 10 or so. A pleasant surprise.

Talking about appreciating ancient coinage: I could not resist the charms of this little lady. I picked her up at the annual Frankfurt "Numismata" coin show today. She has a nice, appealing portrait.

Sallustia Orbiana, wife of the emperor Severus Alexander:

Attached Files:

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a great addition to the collection. The portrait is lovely. The question I'd like to see addressed is the use of AVGG and AVGVSTORVM on her coins suggesting there were two emperors. Other coins of the period (Alexander and Mamaea) do not share the plural. It was not common practice to use a plural on coins of other women except for a few issues of Domna when both her husband and son were Augusti. So, who was the other Augustus? Counting Orbiana would really be odd and consistant with the friction between her and Mamaea that ended up with her dismissal. There is rumor that her father might have been named as Caesar but there are no coins and a Caesar should not bump up the number (although this question did come up again much later when there are coins of Numerian Caesar using AVGGG. Orbiana coins were not made for very long and really show interesting questions of history that don't answer too easily. Congratulations.

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I love ancients. Anything before 1,000 AD gets my attention.
    [​IMG] Traci :bigeyes:

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Well, if you're looking for "ancient collectors", I guess I qualify.

But, if you're looking for "collectors of ancient coins", that doesn't include me.

7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

LOL good one.... Traci

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

will give you an honorary induction then :D

9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Still my favorite ancient coin is this Byzantine Justinian follis:

[​IMG]

:)

10. pete1970

pete1970 Coin Collector

I have an Arcadius, that was an impulse buy.They are very interesting and I would like to obtain more in the future.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree these are both neat and big. Shortly after yours, they started putting year dates on them as well as the mint city and workshop numbers so collectors into filling penny books can collect the series. Technically, I'd call Justinian 'medieval' rather than 'ancient' but there is no doubt that these are very interesting coins.

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Here are a couple of coins from ancient Carthage... Traci :kewl:

Attached Files:

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Draft saved Draft deleted