How long will this "fad" last?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimefreak, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

This question is geared toward the folks that say toning is "just a fad".. I was wondering how long do you folks see Full bands, Full torch, Full Steps, Full Bell Lines, Full head etc lasting for?
    :eating:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I think the things you are referring to are inherent in a superb and rare strike. I don't think these will go away. Superb strikes have always proven to be of value; toning has proven itself to be a fad as it was once frowned upon when everyone wanted white or brilliant red. Blast white will be the new red again someday. Just wait.

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I wouldn't call toners, or all the full designations a fad (so call me a neutral party).

One thing I'll point out. Just because a coin has been certified as full step, full head, full bell lines, ect... doesn't mean it has a superior (or strong) strike, it just means that particular section of the coin meets the requirements for the designation. For instance, a Jefferson could have full steps, but other parts of the design could be weak, the same is true with other coin series.

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

+1

6. jallengomez

I never knew that about a Jefferson could have full steps but still be weak in other parts of the design. Of course, I don't collect Jeffersons or any of the other special designation coins. To me, the thing about it though is this: you can't produce a coin with full steps by storing it in a Wayte Raymond album, or a dirty underwear drawer or whatever. I would bet you that given we achieved nuclear fission way back in the 40's, there is someone(probably plenty of them) that have figured out how to produce "NT" coins on a relatively low budget and minimal time.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I agree, and Q. David Bowers loves the idea of full details rather than a strike designation that applies to only a small area of the coin. Here are some photographic examples of full step Jefferson Nickels with both strong strikes and weak strikes.

This coin is one of the best struck Jefferson Nickels I have ever seen but it only has 5FS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now compare the overall strike on that coin to this poorly struck 1941-D with 6FS. Windows, doors, and hair!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a problem calling toned coins a fad, always have. The reason why nobody collected toned coins was because they didn't know about them. Once they started to discover them with the growth of the internet and advances in digital photography, the toned coin market has taken off and not looked back. I don't foresee the internet or eye appeal going away anytime in the near future.

8. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I struggle with paying a large premium for a toned coin because in most cases the toning will continue to increase. Not all toning looks nice and it is my opinion that if you wait long enough the best looking toners will lose what makes them appealing. If collectors start to realize that their coins are looking less attractive (could take decades) it could cool down the toning market. Other than that I don't see any reason why it would slow.

9. Lehigh96

With proper storage, there is no reason why a toned coin should look any different than it does in it's current state even many decades later.

10. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Gee whiz....thanks for all of the visuals Lehigh.....PS I hope you sensed the sarcasm when I call it a fad!

11. jallengomez

But with proper storage any coin can become toned; it can't however develop full steps.

12. Lehigh96

I certainly did and have no worries, the Full Band designation on the Mercury Dime series is very strong and will never die. In order for me to purchase a non full band Mercury Dime, the toning needs to absolutely monstrous. Now the Full Torch designation on Roosevelts is another story all together. Other than the Roosevelt registry kings fighting with each other over every point, I doubt if anybody cares about Full Torch.

13. Lehigh96

True, but I don't think it is a contest to which aspect is more important. Some collectors hold strike paramount, others are all about eye appeal, and some collectors don't sacrifice at all and demand the best from every aspect of grading. The last group needs deep pockets though. Personally, I will sacrifice strike before eye appeal almost always. The only time I won't is when a strong strike is common for the date/mm. Take a look at my 1940 Jefferson Nickels to see what I mean.

14. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Something that those of us who collect large cents and other old copper do daily, as there are no "perfect" examples no matter how deep your pockets are.
    Guy

15. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Awesome replies folks......I would love to here what Nostradamus, I mean Doug thinks!

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Nobody has a crystal ball.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm coming around on the attractiveness/desirability of toning, but deep down inside, I still can't help thinking of it as damage. As lots of people have shown, it's not hard to tone a coin. I think the current distinction between "natural" and "artificial" toning is unsustainable -- I don't think there'll ever be a consensus on where to draw the line, and if there ever were, those derided as "coin doctors" would find a way to skate that line for profit.

I've heard some people say that they like the look of worn coins, and I see that "lowball registry" coins can sometimes actually command a premium over better-grade examples. I don't really expect a burgeoning market in "artfully worn" coins to lead coin doctors to widespread "artificial wearing". But if that did happen, I'd view it the same way as I view the current toning controversies.

18. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I think he's referring to Doug as Nostradamus because he was born in the 1500's. :D

:p

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

BC (before coins)
    Guy

20. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

I am with you on your comments. I like many of the tone coins posted on this forum for their eye appeal but I am concern about paying a premium for a coin just because it has nice toning. IMHO, it appears younger individuals are the buyers of these coins and perhaps the market will be around for a while because of this.

21. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

If the fad ever ends I will have a better collection and fewer Ebay coin customers...I am so torn lol

Draft saved Draft deleted