how long for me to fill up a coin album?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by midtncoin, Jun 4, 2018.

1. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

Switching back to the cents this week after having worked on nickels last week. Am now 40 rolls in and have got it down to 8 remaining hold-outs: 61, 62, 63, 68s and 69 as well as 3 of the 09 varieties. I'm surprised at how hard the 3 early 60's have been since it seems like every roll so far has had a 59. I'm hoping that the three 09's won't be the impossible ones to find.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midtncoin

Been a week since my last update but not much change. Still focusing on cents. I've now gone through 57 rolls and my 8 remaining has now dropped to just 5:

1968S
    1999 Formative Years
    1999D Professional Life

No update on nickels as I'm slowly working my way through a new box of 18-D looking for goodies such as blank planchets, improperly annealed, rotations, etc.

4. midtncoin

I've now made it through an entire box of cents and my initial estimate of taking 2 boxes seems to be on track. After the first box, I'm still missing 3 coins: the 1961 (this one has surprised me), the 1968S, and the 2009D Professional Life.

5. midtncoin

I've switched back over to nickels for a while. I've now gone through 50 rolls of nickels and the only thing I'm missing is the pair of 09's. I'm actually amazed at how hard it has been to find these. I started this project wanting to do the 1962-present run but as I've been looking for the 09's, I've also been backfilling the earlier dates back into the 50's and I've now got a complete run of 1952 to present (all from roll hunting) with the exception of the 09's.

To put that in perspective, it was easier for me to find:

52D (30 million)
    52S (20 million)
    53S (19 million)
    55 (8 million)
    and 58 (18 million)

than it was to find:

09P (40 million)
    09D (46 million)

...even taking into account attrition over the past 6 decades! I wish I had been paying closer attention back in 2009 and set aside a few rolls!

6. midtncoin

One month since my last update and I'm still searching for the elusive 2009P nickel! I have now been through 115 rolls and the 09P is the single holdout. I found the 09D at roll #48. (Cent searching is on hold as the last two boxes I've gotten were all 18P rolls).

7. Ikw

Ikw Wild penny hunter

What about the 1960 small and large date, and 1960-d small and large date cents?

8. midtncoin

The album I'm using (Harris) only has holes for the 82 varieties. It doesn't differentiate between the 60 varieties or the 70-s varieties.

9. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

I just found a 2009p in a box last week. It's dirty on front and probably grades XF at best.

10. midtncoin

Still looking! I'm down to just the three coins to complete this project: the 68-S and 09-P Professional Life in cents and the 09-P in Nickels. In fact, since I've started this project, I've also been keeping an eye out for 09 Dimes and Quarters and don't see them in change either! I think once I finish this, I'm going to try to put a clad dime set from pocket change only -- no CRH.

11. midtncoin

Been about a month since my last update and I'm still looking! I have now gone through 200 rolls of nickels (8000 coins!) and I still haven't found a 2009P. I did find a second 2009D at around roll #190. To put this in perspective, the 09P has a mintage of nearly 40 million. Yet the 40S, which has virtually the same mintage, coupled with over 70 years of attrition, I have found 5 in the same time span! Mathmatically, the numbers don't add up. Even with the low mintage, simply as a percentage of coins out there, the 09 should be easier to find. I don't understand where they all went.

Likewise with the cents, I'm still looking for the 68S (that one surprises me) and the 09D "professional life". I've only been through 135 rolls of cents and, overall, the various 09's are not as "rare" as their counterparts in the nickels. Just can't seem to track down the last one.

12. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

The 68S cent is difficult because it was hoarded by the bag. In 1968 I had a friend who bought a bag. He died and his kids have it. Speculation of cents in the 60s as rampant. All those nearly UNC coins from that period of time which are showing up in CRH now are from dealers and family heirs dumping them. To this day the dealers do not want to buy them unless they are original unopened so that the dealer can play the 'certified MS slabbing' pyramid scheme.

The same thing happened in 2009. Speculators are hoarding them, hoping for a run up in price for a quick profit from nearly no actual work. Lazy Americans doing what lazy Americans like to do.

13. Vince11229

Vince11229 Well-Known Member

Keep going regarding the Jeffersons. I believe it was over 100 rolls before I found 2009p and then I found 4 more in say the next 40 rolls. The 2009d did not show up until I passed the 200 roll mark. For popular issues or low mintages the Denver issues are tough for those on the east coast. That’s my belief at least.

Good luck

14. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Concerning the 2009 nickels and dimes, over the years I've
    heard some speculation as to their rarity in circulation.
    1: Low mintage due to the economic slowdown
    2: Hoarders
    3: A portion of the mintage went to Puerto Rico
    4: 2-3 Central American countries use U.S. coins for their
    everyday use.
    5: A large portion of the mintage may be sitting in the
    Feds. warehouse.

#5 seems reasonable. The Fed. produced billions of Sac.
    dollars and Pres. dollars and you don't see those either.
    Thankfully the Pres. dollars were reined in with production
    in latter years.

15. midtncoin

Been over a month since my last update and not much has changed. In nickels, still looking for the 09P. Interestingly, in one roll about a week ago, I found TWO! 09D's.

As for cents, same old same old. The 68S and the 09D Professional Life are still the hold outs. Also interestingly, the 09D PL's are about the only 09 cents I'm finding.

At the coin show last weekend, I picked up Harris folders for dimes and quarters and I'm now going to start trying to fill them from circulation. It may take several years as I don't normally roll hunt with those two denominations.

16. midtncoin

I FINALLY found the 09D PL cent last night! It only took 5 months and 1 day! So that leaves just the 68-S to complete my "fill the entire whitman folder through CRH'ing" experiment with cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted