how long for me to fill up a coin album?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by midtncoin, Jun 4, 2018.

1. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

I was at my LCS today and my eye caught the shelf full of cardboard albums. I haven't filled up one of those since I was a teenager (I keep my coins in 2x2's or tubes today). So since I'm avidly roll searching these days, I decided to try something.

I picked up the Lincoln Memorial/Shield cents folders (two of them) and the Jefferson Nickel 1962-date (two of them) and, just using coins I find while roll-hunting, I'm going to see how many rolls I have to search to complete the folder. I'm not worried about time, just the number of rolls. I'm anticipating that the nickels should be fairly easy as even the 68-S through 70-S are fairly easy to find. For cents, the S-mints might take a little while longer.

My one rule is that I can't back-fill with existing stuff. I must start from scratch. So I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict 1 box of rolls for nickels but 2 boxes for cents. I'll update this thread either upon completion or when I reach my predictions and have failed! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Let us know your progress

4. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

On your Cent folder what is the start date? Sorry, I’m away from my house.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best wishes but I think your estimates are low.

Jscraton likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sounds like a fun project

7. midtncoin

Before I get started, just some quick math...

Cents will be 1959 to 2013 (I didn't spring for the 2014-date folder for just 10 coins). Will include all circulation issues including the 7 varieties of 1982 and 8 varieties of 2009. No proof-only issues. Total number of coins to find: 126

Nickels will be 1960 to 2018. All circulation issues including the 8 varieties of 2004/2005. No proof-only issues. Total number of coins to find: 119

I'll get started tonight!

nickelsorter2017 likes this.
  8. nickelsorter2017

nickelsorter2017 Active Member

Nickels I'll predict you are short 3 from this list:
    1960p
    1961p
    1962p
    1968d
    1971p
    2009p
    2009d
    And if you count all the 1964pd, I'll predict there are 68 of them in your box.

9. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Confused as to the meaning of this post? You mean tough to find?

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's what he's saying as I understand it. As time goes by even high mintage coins get tougher to find. In Jefferson's, this list is the case.

Jscraton likes this.
  11. midtncoin

I haven't started on nickels yet and I've only gone through 5 rolls of cents but I've already filled about a third of the lincoln's. I'm taking my time because, even while I'm performing this little test, I'm still searching for close/wide AM's and DD's.

nickelsorter2017 and Jscraton like this.
  12. Jscraton

Jscraton Member

I cant rememer how many boxes it took me to complete my nickel, dime, and washington quarter books, but i know i started and finished them this year. There was a few nickels i reallly had to search for though, forget the specific dates but i know the mint was marked in the back, making it a little difficult at times. There were only a couple quarters that were tough also.

Been thinking about getting some recent date coin albums, just for the fact that theyre easy to get right now and i dont wanna scramble for them 10+ years down the road.

13. nickelsorter2017

Bought a box Wednesday. Just to see what I'd get. Ended up missing 4 of them: no 1960p, 1968d, 2009p, and 2009d. I did find a 1937 buffalo in about xf condition. Sadly, no silver war nickels.
    Also counted 72 coins dated 1964p and 1964d.

14. midtncoin

Sunday afternoon update. Been working on the cents exclusively. I've gone through 15 rolls and I've filled 103 of the 126 holes for 81%.
    Surprisingly, it took till the very last roll to find all the shield cents. The 2011 was hard to find. I've got the full set from 77 onward with the exception of the 86-d and I'm still missing 4 of the 8 '09 cent varieties. I've also found 2 of the 7 possible s-mints. So most of the remaining holes are, not surprising, pre-75.

15. nickelsorter2017

Still waiting to hear about the nickel box results. I have updated my totals since starting a year and a half ago in my signature. I am still missing the 1938s, 1943d silver and the 1950d. And surprised at how few 2009 dated nickels I've found.

16. midtncoin

I'm mixing in this "experiment" with my regular roll-hunting as well as other coin-related pursuits. So I'm focusing on the cents initially. I hope to get started on the nickels in a few days.

17. midtncoin

I've now been through 25 rolls of cents and I'm down to only 13 slots left:
    68s
    70s
    72s
    73s
    74s
    and 4 of the '09/09d varieties

I'll get started on nickels tonight or tomorrow.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Thinking 59

19. midtncoin

59 would be the correct answer :)

I've got the folder for wheats but its not part of the expirement

TexAg likes this.
  20. midtncoin

Here's my first nickel progress report. I'm 15 rolls in and am making much better progress that I was with cents at this same point. I'm only missing 13 pieces which means I've gotten 106/119 or 89%. You guys nailed fairly accurately the ones I'd be missing towards the end:

68D
    68S
    69S
    70S
    75D
    81P
    86P
    09P/D
    18P/D (although this pair might not be quite fair as I have a feeling this box was possibly put together prior to January).

The 09p/d seem to be a general consensus "toughie" (of course, the fact they are the lowest mintage circulation strike since 59 might have something to do with it). Will do more tomorrow.....

21. midtncoin

Sunday night and I've now gone through 33 rolls of nickels and I'm still 5 coins short. I still haven't found the 65, the 68d, the 68s, and the pair of 09's. I must be honest that the 09's scarcity has surprised me a bit. Prior to starting roll hunting, other than purchasing the annual mint sets, I never paid much attention to modern stuff. I knew the 09's (across all circulating denominations) had lower mintages and, as I mentioned earlier, the nickel mintage was the lowest since 1959. But I still figured they would show up occasionally. But with 33 rolls, I've gone through 1320 nickels and not a single 09 in sight. This project may come down -- both in cents and nickels -- to "how long will it take for me to find an 09?" rather than "how long to fill up an album?"!

Draft saved Draft deleted