How it can be with the end of collectig just a moment before war

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by I_v_a_n, Apr 8, 2022.

1. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

This year will be 30 years since I collect coins. During this time, I thought many times about how it could be - to finish the collection, and quit collecting altogether.
    Never thought it could happen the way it did.
    I bought my last coin on February 21, 2022. Looking at it, I thought that I had finally almost realize the idea of the collection, named "Coins of 100 generations".
    And on the night of February 24-25, a downed russian rocket fell not far from my house... It is symbolic that the last purchased coin was the napoleondor (20 francs) of 1812... Today I no longer have any plans about collecting and etc., but I want to finish what I started - a personal site dedicated to it. Finally I made a translation to English. I appologize in advance about quality of language, I do it by myself + Google last days.

I think it's beautiful, interesting and useful. And beauty and knowledge conquer evil. This is what I can do - be on the side of beauty and creation.

www.goldencollection.club

Золотая Коллекция_small.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Awesome coins Ivan.

I_v_a_n and Paddy54 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins and stunning collection @I_v_a_n .
    Thank you for sharing. Stay safe.
    Slava Ukraini!

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Quality collection and great website.

6. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

Very impressive collection and beautiful website. I think you explain a rationale for collecting coins in a very effective and attractive fashion. If someone were to ask me why I spend money on old coins, your presentation encapsulates my answer.

I_v_a_n and benhur767 like this.
  7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I hope you remain safe during this conflict. In the meantime, your collection offers a very aesthetic window into human history - well done realizing your vision of a powerful and important theme and displaying it in such an attractive manner.

Our coins offer us tangible connections to the hundreds of wars across time, showing yet again that history does indeed repeat itself in many unfortunate ways.

I_v_a_n, Stevearino, Shea19 and 5 others like this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...fantastic collection Ivan, and great website too!..i hope the warpigs are done soon

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing ! I stand with the people of Ukraine.... long live the brave,.....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    I_v_a_n, Stevearino, sand and 3 others like this.
  10. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Stunning coins ! just exquisite.

God bless and protect your country and all the courageous Ukrainians. Barbarians will be defeated - Glory to Ukraine!

I_v_a_n, Stevearino, sand and 3 others like this.
  11. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

That is a great collection, Ivan!

In these dark days, I too find myself turning away from the horrid scenes of reality and turning to the Ancients to look for consolation and beauty. (And your collection succeeds beautifully at that!). All the best to you and yours, and all the best to your country! With the courage and spirit of the Ukrainians, I am certain you will prevail in the end!

I_v_a_n, furryfrog02, sand and 3 others like this.
  12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

What a stunning collection!

Stay safe and hope better times are coming.

John

I_v_a_n, furryfrog02 and Meander like this.
  13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ivan, I regret to read you are ending your collecting & have to deal with the brutal Russian invasion not far from your doorstep :(. Sometimes we are victims of circumstances beyond our control. Your collection is impressive & your website is beautifully constructed :happy:! My best wishes go to you & your family.

14. CoinTalkJim

CoinTalkJim Active Member

Slava Ukraini! My daughter-in-law is Ukrainian, from 2 miles to the Slovakian border. Many refugees are there, with no bombs yet. Her family run a trampoline center, and it give the refugees children something nice to do. I hope you are safe.

I_v_a_n, Stevearino, Egry and 5 others like this.
  15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful collection. In this world of ours, beset with so many years of mind-numbing cruelty and murdering of people in so many places, now focused in Ukraine, with the forces of authoritarianism seeking to dominate and crush the existence of democracy and the quest for truth, justice and knowledge, your collection represents, to me, the natural human need to learn from history and to celebrate artistic achievements in the field of ancient numismatics.

I cannot divorce the events now unfolding in your country with everyday activities, for like a pall of fog it envelopes everything, always there in the background leaving feelings of profound depression on my part over the prospects of human civilization's future.

I do hope that you and your family remain safe and well in the midst of this act of wanton aggression.

16. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Just glorious!!!
    I will pray for you and your family and all the brave people and fighters in your homeland.

17. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Ivan, I sincerely hope for your continued safety, so you can cheer with the rest of the world when this atrocity in your country has been crushed - and it will be.

I_v_a_n and furryfrog02 like this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great collection and thoughts are with you and the strong people of Ukraine

I_v_a_n likes this.
  19. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins - thank you for sharing them @I_v_a_n - I agree with you about being on the side of beauty and creation - or as John Keats put it, contemplating a Grecian urn:

"When old age shall this generation waste,
    Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
    Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
    Beauty is truth, truth beauty,"—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

It is a beautiful sentiment, but it is probably difficult to hold when under attack; I am glad you are managing to do so. And a Grecian coin would serve as well as a Grecian urn (of course!).

Please stay safe.

20. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Well said, Ivan.

Bruce

I_v_a_n likes this.
  21. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I believe you've done a great job in completing your collection goal, and establishing a succinct/beautiful grasp of the English language.

You've completed/done a stellar accomplishment!!

Many Kudos to you!

JMHO

-jeffB and I_v_a_n like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted