How it all started (found my childhood collection)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scott J, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

I was visiting my dad and found my collection from when I was kid like 10-12 years old.
    Funny thing I remember really diggin' old coins, but I haven't bought another coin till recently, 40 years later. I went through that big bag of pennies and found some nice high MS reds, but not sure if any would hit that magic MS 67+ score. Check out those homemade flips. 20210606_120335.jpg 20210606_120700.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Amazing sone of the things we did as kids isn’t it?

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Very, very cool. I bet finding those brought back some memories.

5. Scott J

I still remember buying that Barber quarter and it was a big purchase for me at the time ( we weren't exactly rich)

6. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,
    Welcome to our 'sand box'.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy this hobby and you couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable
    group of hobbit.
    J.T.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I totally get it. I grew up poor too. I threw newspapers every morning to fund my bicycle and worn slick V-nickels and Indian head cents. But I sure did enjoy them as I am sure you did too.

8. Scott J

Thanks!! I'm sure glad I found this place, been here for a couple months mostly spending time in the US Coins section. I definitely learned a lot in that little bit of time.

9. Scott J

Exactly. I had a paper route also for the Pittsburgh Press.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Always fun to be taken back to fond childhood memories. Enjoy it once again.

11. Collecting Nut

I lived one block from Memorial Stadium in Baltimore and as a kid I parked cars on public streets for $2.00 each, then got in to see the games free by selling The Baltimore Sun newspapers for $.02 each. I made money and got to see the ball games. What kid wouldn’t like that?

12. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, Scott. Brings back good memories for many of us. Yes, and like you, most of us grew up poor. While most of my coins were found in circulation, I also pestered my larger family if I could go through their piggy banks, as these often held older coins. And very occasionally, I would venture into some inexpensive purchases from the want ads in the back of Boys Life.

And I really enjoyed your coin holders. I too made my own.

13. Scott J

That's great!! Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer was parking cars.
    Kids did love baseball back then, hih?
    I used to buy $1.00 general admission outfield seats for the pirates, then move down to the good seats after about the 4th inning.

14. Rob9874

Rob9874 Member

Wish I still had my childhood collection. My grandparents got me into coin collecting around 7 years old, and I really took to it. By the time I was a teenager, I was over it and sold my collection. Nothing great, mainly Whitman albums of cents, nickels, and dimes with barely readable dates. But still would be fun to have today.

OldSilverDollar, sel w and Scott J like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

My sister was the executive secretary got the VP of the Orioles for years. Over 400 people attended her funeral. The vast majority of them were associated with the O’s in some way. I saw many a player that I knew. They are a wonderful club.

16. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Nice collection. I started collecting when I was nine. Unfortunately my resources were very limited and any coins I got were either from circulation or were gifted to me. Didn't buy my first coin until I was 17 and that was a JFK silver half.

17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Scott J thanks for the walk down memory lane. So many of the anecdotes posted here could easily have my name on them too.

Definitely on the poorer end of the financial spectrum growing up. But that didn't stop me and my one coin collecting buddy from searching roll after roll of cents. Occasionally we would be able to scrounge up $2 to hunt a roll of nickels. After the holidays we'd pool our money and get a roll of dimes. Those days we felt like high rollers.

Those days were over 50 years ago. That buddy I mentioned, he's my son's godfather and we're still as tight now as we were then.

18. Scott J

Sorry for your loss
    It's always good when a company is there for It's people, sounds like your sister was much loved by many.

kountryken and Collecting Nut like this.
  19. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

I second the motion on Baltimore being a class organization. When I was about 7 years old back in the early 70's, I went thru a phase for about a year, where each week I would scribble a little note to each and every MLB team, telling them how much I loved their team and if they could possibly find it in their hearts to send a nice little kid some free stuff. After a couple of months my mailing list shortened, due to some teams like the Reds, cubs and Dodgers being cheap skates by not even sending me a reply. Why waste the nickel postage or whatever it was costing my parents if they weren't going to pony up a little team decal or something? Anyway, what a thrill it was to race home after school every day to check that mailbox. Some days the mailbox was bursting at the seams with letters and large envelopes from professional baseball teams and other days you'd walk back to the house with your head hanging low, asking yourself where you went wrong when writing your letters. Looking back, it's amazing how generous many of these teams were.....on multiple occasions. Some teams like the Cardinals, Padres and Phillies would sporadically send me a nice little batch of goodies. But one team stood head and heels above all others with their consistent and unwavering generosity........the Baltimore Orioles. Every week I could expect a large manilla envelope from the Orioles, stuffed with team decals, a team photo(all photos were black & white), photos(some were even signed by the players) of Paul Blair, Boog Powell, Brooks Robinson, Dave McNally and many others, and various other team knick knacks. I started liking the St. Louis Cardinals the year prior to my mailing spree, so to this day, they remain my favorite team. But, due to the Orioles being such a wonderfully nice ballclub, they have always been my second favorite team and whenever I see or hear their name, a warm feeling envelopes me. Go Orioles!

20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

They sure did today!!!

21. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Nice assortment n welcome back to the gang

OldSilverDollar, sel w and Scott J like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted