How is this Possible? Polished Morgans and all great reviews?!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MAKECENTS, Jan 18, 2019.

1. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

could someone explain what I just cannot wrap my head around? This person is selling thousands of polished morgan dollars, at a huge premium for that matter. The kicker is that people are loving it. Seller name is morgandealer

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

He generates a lot of profit for eBay ?

I've never known eBay to be in a hurry to clean up it's own website.

4. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Most people do not know how to grade. He's getting the uneducated who think they're getting a great deal buying "prooflike" dollars for 20 to 25 bucks.

John Johnson likes this.
  5. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

If he is selling polished morgans for $25 each Id say thats good profit

6. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

He is obviously destroying these himself. I wish there was a way to stop this. It seems so wrong

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

He's buying junk dollars from the bullion dealers that woulda been sold by the bag to hoarders or gone in the melting pot. There's millions of them. He won't even make a dent.

8. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I didn’t look around his page very much, but it doesn’t appear he’s doing anything wrong. He’s selling cleaned coins, if people don’t know they are cleaned, that’s on them. He notes that they are cleaned in the description and states it’s a Details coin in the title.

9. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

He is selling cleaned coins with uncirculated gradings or au, also mirror-like is a bit misleading

10. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

That all aside, I think he is polishing all these himself to get premiums. Ive been collecting these coins for a while, and yes you do see polishing a bunch, but not on that level.

11. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Collectors and investors who know better aren't buying. The only people who post feedback are those who bought the coins, and if they bought them, they don't know any better. I guess if they're happy with their purchase...

MAKECENTS likes this.
  12. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

eBay buyers love shiny coins - they sell much better than dull, tarnished ones - apparently the seller mentioned by the OP knows this and advertises accordingly - one man's whizzed coin is some other eBay buyer's 'mirrorlike' shiny one - advertising polished coins as 'whizzed' would be bad for business :cool:
    8553305_1m.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    John Johnson, MAKECENTS and Hookman like this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

If polishing coins was illegal they would have put me in jail in kindergarten for all the cents I polished with my pencil eraser...... It is a hard thing to witness though. Heck, if there were a market for broken glass some Ebay scoundrel would seize upon it.

Dynoking and Hookman like this.
  14. juris klavins

Here are the only four negative feedbacks from the previous year - four people complained about cleaned coins, the rest were apparently satisfied - makes you wonder what 'collectors' are collecting and why.

[​IMG] cons were cleaned and polished Buyer:
    e***n ( 1165[​IMG])
    During past year [​IMG]
    1880-O Uncirculated Details Morgan Silver Dollar Mirror Like Key Date #R88 (#401516378272) US $38.55
    [​IMG] Coin has been cleaned and polished, rejected by third party grading company. Buyer:
    w***h ( 109[​IMG])
    During past year [​IMG]
    • Reply by morgandealer (Apr-14-18 00:48):
      Sorry the coin did not work for you. We offer 30 days hassle return!
    1897-O Mirror Like Morgan Silver Dollar High Grade Key Date #A108 (#192490061864) US $39.98
    [​IMG] Very Badly Cleaned Morgan and not sure it’s real as it failed magnet test Buyer:
    n***s ( 686[​IMG])
    During past year [​IMG]
    • Reply by morgandealer (Mar-23-18 18:36):
      Offered full refund. Coin is not fake.
    1902-P Morgan Silver Dollar High Grade #N6 (#401506266836) US $27.48
    [​IMG] coin has been cleaned and i think its fake Buyer:
    l***8 ( 101[​IMG])
    During past year [​IMG]
    • Reply by morgandealer (Mar-22-18 13:37):
      full refund, and we do not sell fake coins.
    1880 Morgan Silver Dollar High Grade #H29 (#192479196290) US $25.49

MAKECENTS likes this.
  15. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I was answering the question of why the reviews were all good.

16. juris klavins

As was I - should have amended my comment to 'uninformed eBay buyers' ;)

17. Paul Runtich

Paul Runtich New Member

I purchased 7 of them, my fault for not reading the description. I return them for a full refund. Ebay should stop sellers for using misleading ads, but like everything else its all about the MONEY. Sellers like this will destroy coin collecting. I have found on Ebay there is some great deals BUT- READ THE DESCRIPTION FIRST.

18. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

fireplace glass
    https://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Glass-Rocks-AMBER-4-3/dp/B003Y5PUTE
    slag rock (left over from old time furnace )
    https://www.ebay.com/cln/bassmastermichael/slag-glass-rock/242846689014
    and of course, my kids bought bits of broken soda bottles in a tube at the rock show at the local county fair.

19. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I guess some people really just buy the shine and silver content, hope this guy doesn't ruin any CC coins .Like mentioned before probably just shines up junk, and makes some extra bucks because they look better.

20. Ctleslie5

Ctleslie5 New Member

Show us these coins your talking about

21. juris klavins

[This is the exact coin you will receive. To ensure customer satisfaction, we offer a 30 day unconditional return policy. ALL Coins are 100% authentic. The coin is in raw uncertified condition and is a very nice coin. Please look at the pictures as this is the actual coin you will receive. Coin is cleaned or polished and please grade the coin on your own, we do not offer grade on raw coins as grading is very subjective. We want to give you the best buying experience on eBay. Give us a try and we guarantee you will like the coins we sell.] - that is the disclaimer on the seller's site, so he's being honest about his coins - the link to a sample coin is below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1886-O-MIR...b:g:CooAAOSwmMNcQXT-:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Draft saved Draft deleted