How is 1570 Coin worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ice_t, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

I am trying to figure this out....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any comments?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Quite sure it's not a coin but a medal of some sort

Q

4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

its a nice medallion.. i suggest sending it to anacs.. or if your in newyork city take it to stacks they can tell you everything.. about it..

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And it was definitely not made in 1570. That is merely the appropriate date for the subject of the medal.

6. FrankPlantagenet

FrankPlantagenet New Member

This looks like a fake or something...

I don't think its that old tbh.

7. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

How can this be fake where my aunt picked this up on her backyard. I have also got a collection of some 1776's and 1773's 1866's coins where I got it on my grandfather.

8. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

It's all here...

[​IMG]

It's up to you to decide.

9. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Unless your aunt is more than 440 years old, she couldn't have picked it up the year it is dated. In any event, age alone is no indicia of genuineness for anything.

By the same token, the term "fake" is not really appropriate here. That term is only proper regarding an item that pretends to be something it isn't, such as a base metal copy of a genuine precious metal coin.

Instead, your item is most likely a medal commemorating something having to do with St. Joseph and some Roman event of 1570. (I doubt that it has anything to do with one of the most famous and dramatic Papal acts of that year - the Bull published by Pope Pius V excommunicating Queen Elizabeth I of England as a heretic.)

It does have something to do with "7 keys" (translation of the Spanish legend "Siete Llaves" above the artwork showing seven keys), but the only "seven" I'm familiar with as being associated with Rome are the Seven Hills of the old city. I've found no connection between 7 keys and St. Joseph, except an obscure Philippine medallion with those legends.

BTW, use of the denomination "Un Peso" is absolute proof that the item was created long after its date. It is generally believed that an 1817 silver coin minted in Chile was the first to bear that legend.

10. Simms

Simms Tactile History

As you and I know Ice, the spaniards were in our country ever since ferdinand magellan came and was killed on our islands. The Spanish came for the spices and for an alternate trade route for galleons to mexico and south america for the gold and silver. My best guess is that they are spanish coins minted while they were staying in the Philippines for local currency. That is until the Spanish American war where America kicked the Spanish out and kept the islands under its dominance, soon creating their own US coins for the Philippines to use, for instance the One Peso Filipinas with the hammer and anvil. If that coin is 1903-1906 its has a different worth than a 1907-1912 I believe. There are still many old Spanish relics in the nation. My mothers home town of Dumaguete the oldest standing structure is a Spanish Church built in 1730 something. edited

11. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

This coin is somehow related to this link:

http://mindanaobatorgroup.blogspot....igtas-sa-kapahamakan.html?zx=3f31dab42d9d636d

12. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

13. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

This link basically shows oracion on "siete llaves" which is being identified by the blogger as an amulet(seven eyes protecting from harm).

14. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I think this pretty much says it all :thumb:

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice collection :)

16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Your aunt found some nice things, but that token was not made in 1570. Sorry.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since this is marked ROMA and shows 7 keys, we should expect that the language is latin and refers to the Vatican and the Catholic church. The other side shows Saint Joseph and Jesus. Un Peso sagrado senior does not refer to the monetary term in my opinion, but to the term weight. A sacred weight (of the) elder perhaps. 1570 I believe is when St. Joseph's feast was added to the Catholic calendar. St. Joseph according to the Catholic church and others was the stepfather of Jesus.

IMO. I am not a catholic nor a latin scholar. I suspect it is a honorarium for the event.

Jim

18. CheetahCats

Well, I suppose if the specimen was minted in 1570, people have been burying coins in the Aunt's back yard for nearly 400 years!

19. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

Things are getting more interesting! I appreciate all you guys are saying. Keep 'em coming! :bow:

New story, we found a tunnel not far from the location where we found the coin. We will take a closer look on what's inside by the weekend.

:thumb:

20. CheetahCats

Tunnel? Perhaps the Holy Grail is buried in Auntie's backyard too!

Just kidding ;)

I'd be interested in hearing the update about the tunnel :)

21. ice_t

ice_t Junior Member

Hehehe...

Here is it:

here is the shot taken inside. Shot pointing to the entrance.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the shot taken inside pointing to the passage going to somewhere else(we haven't reached that yet, since we are not experts on this.) Still figuring out.
    [​IMG]

I think I'm on the right track:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted