How Important Is the Tactile Feel of Your Coins To You?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by longshot, Feb 15, 2020.

?

Please Vote!

1. I love to touch my coins.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. I occasionally remove my coins from their holder and handle them.

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. I would if I could but worry about damaging them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm great with my coins in a protective holder.

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

A lot of my better coins are slabbed but I sure like the feel of a big raw silver coin. How about you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The more you handle raw coins, the more likely you are to damage them.

Any raw coin I have is only raw long enough to rinse in acetone, dry, and then immediately placed in a protective holder.

The need to fondle my coins has never been important to me.

longshot likes this.
  4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Me too. I often handle only the smoothed out ones just to get a coin feel fix. Then I'm good for a while.

Not that one should handle valuable coins at all, but I totally understand the impulse to hold a coin in the way it was originally used.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    longshot likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I don't have any slabbed coins. I handle them carefully and protect them in 2X2's.

DonnaML and longshot like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The only raw coins I really touch are any junk silver coins that I come into contact with.

longshot and baseball21 like this.
  7. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Worn Morgan Peace.jpg I recently picked these up b/c one of the stores weighs and sells by weight, so I didn't have to worry about paying the $20+ dealers charge for Morgans. I know some people collect P01, but I don't want all my coins to look like this. Extreme example, I know, but if I get the urge, I would fondle these.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Inspector43 and longshot like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Definitely a fondler.

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in how coins look, rather than how they feel, so the tactile aspect isn't an issue for me.

longshot likes this.
  10. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

When I completed my set of 50 Peso Mexican gold pieces I insisted on those prior to
    1947 be TPG (All ended up being NGC MS-63 to 65). The 1947 which was a re-strike I specifically purchased raw from a reputable dealer, simply so this large gold piece could be handled/fondled.
    I attended the Houston Money show at that time and the dealer had a new roll of '47 re-strikes and gave me the choice of any piece for $1100! (Wish now I had picked up several)
    J.T.

longshot likes this.
  11. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Feeling the coins has never been important to me. Actually, it actively stresses me out thinking about it. :nailbiting: I like my coins in TPG plastic.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I was trained the same way -- but they're COINS. It seems somehow perverse to lock them away from physical contact, since their whole purpose is to serve as a physical token of value.

I feel the same way, only more strongly, about new-in-box collectible toys. It's great to see them, but somewhere in the past there's a kid who would really like to have played with that toy...

longshot and ewomack like this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I too am a fondler. Not to worry. My finer coins are protected in TPG plastic. But I am very much like @longshot. An old coin in my hands is better than a good book in my hands. They speak to me..... My doctor is working the problem.....

longshot and Collecting Nut like this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wow, great question. Repeat it in the Ancient Coins Forum. People there hate slabs and there are even how-to posts about cracking them out.
    You should buy an Alexander Tetradrachm. The feel of this coin is marvelous. I wouldn't handle most other coinage this way but...

DonnaML and longshot like this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Since my fingerprints provide no added value — along with the fact that I have real klutzy days — mine are best off in a protected holder.

longshot likes this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, I own one.

It was out of a holder long enough to apply acetone and take a picture, and then it went into a holder.

And, the ancient guys hate holders so much it feels extreme.

JPAN2 obverse.JPG JPAN2 reverse.JPG

longshot and Kentucky like this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

:(:(:(

longshot likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

May your doctor never find a cure.

longshot and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  19. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

I too like to "feel" my coins. But alas, I relegate that to a few very smooth (almost awesome) pocket pieces. Currently common Morgan, Ike, and Kennedy half! Most others (except 90% silver collecting) are in some type of holder.

longshot likes this.
  20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Holding the coin is necessary to learn to detect counterfeit pieces. If you are afraid of mishandling them, you need more practice. Watch video of TPGers - they don't wear gloves for a reason.

Heavymetal likes this.
  21. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I have a counterfeit 1889 CC morgan that I like to fondle.

longshot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted