= How good is the silver quality, thanks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ro1974, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

hey all,

I needs some advice about this coin before i buy this.
    The price is high, i needs some advice.
    is the silver is quality oke!!
    the reality looks good for me .
    [​IMG]

Thanks

Good weekend

stevex6, rzage, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Do you have the coin's weight & description? (that usually helps the gang make a coin-ruling)

:rolleyes:

4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

THE REPUBLIC (280 BC to 27 BC ) Denier
    Kwaliteit : VF | Afkortingen
    Katalogus : B.139 (Julia ) BMC / RR.33 (Africa) BMC / RR.33 (Africa) CRR.1338 (3) RRC.540 / / 2 RSC.90

Gewicht: 3.81 g
    OCTAVIAN Denier c . 36 AC . Or R2 silver Rome Italy
    Obverse: IMP. CAESAR DIVI . F. III . VIR . ITER. [R. PC] bare head of Octave right, slightly bearded (O ° )
    Reverse : COS ITER AND TER DESIG / DIVO IVL Temple of the Divine Julius tetrastyle with triangular pediment decorated with a star ( Iulium residues ) and inscription in the architrave

Vendor information

Mikey Zee and Gil-galad like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

A bit of graffito on the obverse, but looks like a good coin to me. I find CGB's photos to be over-brightened or saturated sometimes, but this coin looks like it will have some nice toning with golden highlights.

ro1974 likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Agree with Z. Depending on what "The price is high" means, I would most definitely be interested. These do not come to market that often.

ro1974 likes this.
  7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Thanks all, i have it in mine collection, now waiting for the post:happy:

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's a nice coin all around. The graffito isn't bothersome to me.

ro1974 likes this.
  9. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Someone tell me the difference in price if it was actually (say) 40% versus 80% silver. I have no idea what the standard fineness should be. And I continue to think that the ancients collectors are the real numismatists on CT.

ro1974 likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I doubt silver content plays much of a role in value.

ro1974 likes this.
  11. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Nice coin even with the mark.

ro1974 likes this.
  12. Bing

Silver content varied with political and economic circumstances. From a purity of greater than 90% silver in the first century A.D., the denarius fell to under 60% purity by the end of the second century A.D., and to 5% purity by the end of the third century A.D. By the reign of Gallienus, the antoninianus was a copper coin with a thin silver wash.

ro1974 and bear32211 like this.
  13. bear32211

and have I missed something, what was the price of the coin ?

ro1974 likes this.
  14. Bing

I don't know what ro paid, but from what I can find, this coin in lesser quality sells for more than $600. In this quality I can only imagine.

ro1974 and bear32211 like this.
  15. bear32211

I've wondered about pieces like these. I went to a little shop one day and saw two coins in a case. I could not get a good answer about the coins but the owner sold them to me for one dollar each. Not in the best condition but an interesting buy. Here is one of them. If correct it is Constanine II 332-333 AD.

Attached Files:

Pishpash and ro1974 like this.
  16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I like your coin a lot , even with the graffiti .

ro1974 likes this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Beautiful coin 'ro', I'd love to buy it myself---but I think that one usually exceeds my MAXIMUM monthly budget, even when I streeeetch it a bit LOL....maybe later in the year.

From what I see, that ID seems to be correct.....

ro1974 likes this.
  18. Bing

You are right. Not in the best of condition, but well worth the $1 price tag.

The coin ro displayed is a fine example of an Octavian coin. Denarii of other rulers in this condition can go much less or even higher. It all depends on many things. My point is that you can find nice denarii in much more affordable prices if you look.

bear32211 and ro1974 like this.
  19. A little graffito never hurt anyone. It obviously detracts from the value, but you can still get a decent coin with all of the devices and great relief at a bargain.
    Alexander the Great III Tetradrachm Slab 1 40 percent.png
    I don't think I have to introduce this guy.

Mikey Zee, Bing, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  20. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

What is graffito? Is that engrave on a coin with a knife

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    stevex6 likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Graffito (plural=graffiti) is writing, scribbling on the coin with a sharp point. Sometimes it is a name or something we understand but sometime just scratching.
    Note the Phi on this Sikyon reverse. If you look closely, there is another, faint, phi in the obverse exergue under the E. Perhaps the coin once belonged to someone with that initial? Such marks discount the price of the coin but not as much as damage received in modern times.
    g01395bb3105.jpg

Mikey Zee, Bing, zumbly and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted