How frequent do you find foreign coins roll hunting

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by heuvy31, Dec 12, 2012.

1. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I've been curious as to how frequent people find foreign coins when going through coin rolls or boxes and if there is a certain denomination of coin that seems to yield the most foreign coin finds.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sjlund

sjlund Member

I live close to the border, so I find a lot of Canadian coinage in bags and boxes. I also find the odd world coin, I have a jar that I keep them in.

4. c10ck3r

c10ck3r Member

I live in Kansas, but still find a fair deal of foreign coins. Per $25- box of pennies, I average 4.2 CDN, 16.7 wheats. I'll often find Jamaican nickels as well for some reason (in nickels). I work at a bank, and can tell you, though, that only the older canadian pennies get past the coin counter, as they are not magnetic. The last coin counter bag with ~$25 worth of pennies had 7 wheats and 2 CDN (1959 and 1962).

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I can throw rocks at the canadians myself so yes lots of canadian coins in local rolls.
    Bank rolls seem to reflect this as well since i got about 12 canadians in my last box of string and son rolls (from local bank)

6. indyronnie

indyronnie New Member

I live in indiana, and just yesterday I found a 2001 canadian dime from just grabing a random dime roll.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The most I find of course are Canadians, George V - QEII, but I also find British 20p in nickel rolls, Swiss 20 rappen in nickels and 1/2 francs in dimes. Panamanian coins are the same composition as ours and I have found centesimo - through quarter balboas in rolls. One of the oddest, and well disturbing finds for me was a few weeks ago finding a 1942 5rpf from Nazi Germany in a cent roll.

8. papermoney54

papermoney54 Coin Collector

ive found tons of bermuda coinage and canadian coinage

9. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

thanks for the input and awesome finds everyone. c10ck3 thanks for the info on what you average per box and it must be pretty cool to find Jamaican coins in Kansas. Scottishmoney, would you be able to post a pic of the Nazi coin you found. I agree with you that finding a coin like that would be very interesting and very disturbing at the same time.

10. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

I have found that the number of foriegns decreases as the denomination increases.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I took a picture of it, then deleted it. Surprisingly I still have the coin though. I nearly pitched it into the rubbish pile of coin wrappers that I light up into the burn barrel.

My neatest finds are the couple of YH QEII Canadian dimes in 80% silver. Now foreign silver in a dime roll is always always mahvelous.

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You have done the right thing by not destroying the coin, a coin that may have been used by victims of the holocaust. It sounds like my post from last month may have had an impact on your decision to keep it: http://www.cointalk.com/t10176-1580/#post1569713 If you don't want the coin perhaps you can give it to your local coin store or put it in the donation bin of your local coin club. It would make for a good research piece in educating the youth about WWII and The Third Reich. Learning about the past is how humanity can learn to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

13. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

I actually just found a Switzerland 1985 Confoederatio Helvetica 20 in a nickel box roll. Anyone had any experience with Swiss coins? I am sure there is no silver in this, but do any of the older Swiss coins have silver?

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The half franc coins dated before 1968-9 do. The 10 and 20 rappen coins were struck in cupro-nickel until about 1980 and now have some other alloy.

My oldest foreign find in a box search of nickels is a 1913 Italian 20 centesimi, aka the Flying Nude coin that I found this summer.

15. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

thanks scottishmoney, and very cool find on the flying nude coin

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Not quite influenced since the fate of the coin has been binned for the moment because I just cast it off into the box of foreigns that I find. I still might throw it in the trash.

17. silversearcher8

silversearcher8 New Member

These are some examples of what I have found.
    1947, 1978, 1986, 1999 Canadian nickels
    1993 Guatemala 10 centavos
    2004 Bermuda nickel
    1984 South Korean 50 won
    2006 Mexican peso
    1966 South African penny
    2000 Canadian dime
    2 1969 and one 1985 Canadian quarter
    and 27 Canadian pennies

18. DarrinB

DarrinB Member

All the time. Everytime I go thru a box box of pennies I find Canadian pennies, Sometime about 10 or more oer box. Today I found a few Canadian, 1 Panama penny. I always find tons of copper pennies(pre 1982) per box. I would say that I find a several hundred per box.

19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Mostly Canadians for me, mostly pennies. I find very few in my nickel rolls though I did find a 5 cent Bermuda coin last week. Yesterday I found my first foreign in quarter rolls; a $10 Jamaican. Too bad it's only worth about 10 cents US :) Still cool though.

20. -Mikey-

-Mikey- Amazing

For me it depends what denomination, Quarters i can go through 2k worth before finding one. Dimes i usually find 2 or so per 500.00 worth and nickels several per box. I have been really lucky with nickels.

21. JakeSol007

JakeSol007 Active Member

Exact same situation for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted