How fast do you jump on it

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by f35musketddo, Sep 5, 2015.

1. f35musketddo

f35musketddo Member

if this coin was offered to you?. No?. Okay. What about generally speaking here, what would you pay for this coin?. To be specific, what kind of coin do i have here? image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I think it's a counter token. The pic looks like aluminum which wouldn't be right, is it minted in aluminum? What size is it?

4. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

That's either a fake coin or a store card/token.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

A pic of the reverse would be nice.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Well, There is only 1 1849 Double Eagle in existence, which is at the Smithsonian. I can be very sure that what you have is probably a fantasy piece. There is a chance it could be a store card or token though like the others said.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Certainly not in 1849. At that time, aluminum metal had only been produced in small traces.

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

If it was a token to a military installation, on it, no hesitation. Same if it was a merchant token from my hometown. Would not buy if it was described as a U.S. coin. Looks unlike any coin I'm familiar with.

10. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

It looks like a cheap replica of a large cent that was never meant to deceive anyone.

11. Daniel Jones

Correction! A cheap replica of a gold $ never meant to fool anyone.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As has been indicated here, that is not a coin.

If this fooled you and you actually thought it was a coin, please direct yourself to the nearest bookseller and purchase a copy of the Red Book. Study every page of it and learn what real coins look like - and please don't buy anything until you are sure. This may seem harsh, but I just don't want to see people make expensive mistakes that could be avoided with some education.

If this was a joke thread and you are trolling us... well played, I guess?

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

To be pedantic, you don't have a coin. With a picture of the other side, we might be able to tell you specifically what you do have.

Here's what the real one looks like. I took this picture a few years ago at an ANA show where the Smithsonian had it on display.

[[​IMG]

McBlzr and BigTee44 like this.
  14. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Yikes! That poor thing is hairlined to death! I guess that would be a case where it doesn't really matter though, since 1) it's unique and 2) it's in a museum.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a little nasty. If you look at the pictures that the Smithsonian uses and the one on the cover of the Garrett/Guth U.S. Gold Encyclopedia, the picture is taken with very flat, axial lighting to hide these. They can't hide the big whangus by the first star, though.

coindudeonebay and Daniel Jones like this.
  16. Daniel Jones

Yeah, I was going to ask what happened to that coin?! I never saw it looking SOOO terrible! Ha, ha!

17. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

I've seen it in person as well. A few years ago in Fort Worth. It's horrible that someone cleaned it so harshly and handled it so poorly that it's pretty much an impaired proof. Still neat to see.

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

During the late 19th century and early 20th century, the Mint Cabinet was subjected to cleaning several times. Most of the coins which were in the collection have been cleaned. The collection was later transferred to the Smithsonian and renamed the National Numismatic Collection in the 1920s. After this, it was generally treated better.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  19. Daniel Jones

Ohhh, so that is what those careless buggers did to valuables. thanks for informing us! Now, I don't feel so guilty for all the coins I cleaned over the years. Ha, ha, ha!!!

20. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

Cleaning coins was common practice in those days. People would store their coins in cabinets and when showing them off, it was common practice to wipe them to ensure they were shiny when handing them to an honored guest. Crazy to think someone would do that but that's how it was.

21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

It's sort of a shame that we will never be allowed to touch the coins we love.

Draft saved Draft deleted