How far have coin values fallen?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Mar 17, 2017.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I was able to pick this coin up the other day.
    f5ad16b3eb9d91c226bac19dbe867bcc.jpg

I went and checked the Cert and seen it had sold way back in 2008 for $460! I didn't even pay 50% of that. Low 25K mintage. I'm hoping the toning looks better in hand.

Can these prices keep falling even more? Even the Oregon Trail has fallen quite a bit from where I use to see prices at.

What gives on this once popular series of coins?

Gilbert, longshot and Skyman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

4. Jim Robinson

Jim Robinson Member

I've noticed that condition rarity 1950-1967 high grade proof-SMS cameos are selling about 2/3's pcgs price guide. eBay
    Lincolns, Franklins and Kennedys.

5. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

I don't sell unless my price is met.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Early Commemoratives have been a stale market for a couple years.
    And a stale market often results in falling prices.

EXCEPTION: Prices are high on eBay.
    I suspect dealers trying to at least get their money back.
    Trying to take advantage of the newbies on eBay.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The one exception would be ones with great toning, but I am not even sure those are doing better than a few years ago.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't think it has anything to do with the series. It's the coin market as a whole. As I have posted numerous times over the last few months values in the US coin market as a whole have dropped to where they were in 2004. And yes they are still going down.

Back in '08 when the market fell off the edge of a cliff I predicted that it would drop, at least, to where levels were in 2007. Which was considerably lower than where it was at the peak in '08. Well it blew through that level like it wasn't even there and kept on going.

Where will it stop ? Who knows, but it's quite possible that it could go back to where it was in 2001, when the last bull market started. And maybe even lower.

To be honest with you I think it goes back to what started the bull market to begin with - the stock market bubble popping. People were looking for someplace to put their money back then, and they found it in the coin market. And for 7 years it worked out great. But then 2008 came along and most know the story from there.

The stock market and other investments, they recovered, the coin market didn't. And it's still dropping.

CoinBreaux likes this.
  9. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Looked for comps in inflation-adjusted dollars, 2000-2014, but couldn't find any. Nevertheless, there's a lot of ex-buyers on this chart.

Household* incomes in 2014:

Personal_Household_Income_U.png

*Census definition: Two or more persons related by blood, law, or marriage, occupying a single housing unit.

(law=adoption or guardianship).

10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

And I, for one hope the market does continue to fall. 1993 prices wouldn't bother me at all. 1973 prices would be even better.

TypeCoin971793 and Nathan401 like this.
  11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Jwt708, green18 and Paul M. like this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That would likely be a careful what you wish for scenario though. If prices fell that much you would like see the majority of nicer stuff pulled/held back from the market, maybe even the average stuff as well with that type of hit

Seattlite86 and Paul M. like this.
  13. Paul M.

For a while, sure. After a few years, people will give up holding and start selling anyway, realizing prices are never coming back. Either that or they'll start dying and their whole collections will come back to market.

Blissskr, Gilbert and okbustchaser like this.
  14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

After all "the sky is falling; I've gotta get out of here RIGHT NOW!" investor types dumped their holdings you are right--collectors would hold on to their nicer stuff. Eventually, however, just as PaulM says people would just accept the new market and start selling again if only to be able to take advantage of the lower prices themselves.

Coins have always been a "boom or bust" market. I'm merely pulling for a deep round of bust...

especially on busts.;)

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Not to be morbid or anything, but ya gotta die some day. Your coins will probably come on the market soon afterward, unless there's another collector in your family.

16. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

if one collects coins to make money, news like this is distressing, but if one collects coins as a hobby this is good news, indeed. I invest in mutuals and bonds, not something I especially enjoy doing. I collect coins because I enjoy handling history and admiring beauty. For me trying to make money out of numismatics is like trying to make money out of having kids.

STU, 1776, Maxfli and 7 others like this.
  17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Commens market is flat I know dealers who even if the show isn't that great but they sold a comment or two they are happy to have reduced their inventory .
    It's a buyers market on them for sure....

Paul M. likes this.
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

It's anyone's guess what will happen to the coin market in the next few years. The political turmoil in our country today won't be good if you expect a resurgence in coin values. Since retirees are a big group in numismatics I doubt if they will be spending a lot of money in the coin market given the uncertainty in Social Security and Medicare. In fact, you may see more collections being sold off with a net effect of lower coin values.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Yes there are my son and my daughter. We're not desperate for money so my coins for sale are not distress sales.

20. Onofrio Bacigalupo

I don't believe it especially when my best sales were under the edited

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I dunno. There are still some people holding coins that they bought between '87 and '89. But for the most part, I agree.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted