How? Errors on 1 side??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dreamin_Sqaw, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw New Member

I know some " errors" have names.. Doubled Die ( which i learned the correct way of saying right here on coin talk. Thanks to all for the help!! )
    This Lincoln cent has me wondering about letter errors... Is there a name to identify this ? The reverse which not perfect but is more " normal" than the obverse ..this amazes me for some reason. I guess its time for me to further my coin education to include the making of a coin.
    These are what i see on this coin
    1) " in God we trust" : lower 1/2 missing
    2) "Liberty" : missing the " I"
    3) under liberty there appears to be a font. Possibly an "8" or maybe a letter i just cant make out.
    What can we do with error coins like this? Are there collectors that really want these??

Thanks again to everyone to takes the time to read and reply to help me.

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That one has been hit pretty hard by the coin roller machine. Not an error. Just damage.

jamor1960, Inspector43 and Kentucky like this.
  4. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw New Member

Thanks FurryFrog. So much to learn ...
    Ill get there

Inspector43, furryfrog02 and Kentucky like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

+1 coin roller machine.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw New Member

Ok so any missing letters , totally missing , like the i in liberty on this coin is a machining issue? I guess im trying to figure out how a letter in the middle can get damaged but not the surrounding letters..... The top of the coin i can understand a lil more.... Uggg. Back to the books !!!
    Thanks again

7. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

You can see where the coin roller machine took out the bottom half of the motto right ? There is metal "moved" onto the remaining upper letter halves. Follow the machine marks down to the letter I in liberty and you can see it totally obliterated your missing I. Hope that helped some....martha

Draft saved Draft deleted