How does one dispose of acetone?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is true, many nail polish removers have additives, but they sell 100% acetone nail polish remover and the only additive is the denatonium benzoate. It is safe to use on coins, and it is perfectly safe to use 100% acetone as nail polish remover.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

give it to Walter White, He'll know what to do with it.

if you have a smal amount soak it up in cotton balls, like nail polish remover and put it in a plastic bag and throw it away.

If its a bigger amount, there is NOTHING wrong with leaving it in a well ventilated area to open air and let it evaporate off.

If it's an industrial scale amount, then you'd use a hazardous waste facility.

Acetone quickly evaporates to a gas if it is released as a liquid. It degrades in sunlight to other chemicals, with the half life for this being approximately 22 days for UV degrdation in the atmosphere. It does not bind to the soil or bioaccumulate in animals. Microorganisms in the soil and water are capable of degrading acetone to other chemicals. Acetone is a manufactured chemical, but it is also naturally occurring, the environment knows and has mechanisms to deal with it.

Acetone however is really bad for plastic piping and plastic in general. Don't dump it down drains. you also wouldn't want animals or people drinking from it while it's a liquid.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Noah Worke and cplradar like this.
  4. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Never pour acetone down the drain. Never use acetone in your kitchen or bathroom because if you spill it it will damage any thing that is plastic, synthetic or that's painted. Never leave it unattended if children are around. Getting this chemical in the eye will damage the eyes and possibly cause blindness. I prefer to work with it in my basement or garage a way from everyone. Ware safety glasses!!!

If you are dealing with small amounts it will evaporate fairly fast. Put it in a metal or glass bowl or pail and put it somewhere outside that no kid is going to get to it. Generally we are talking about very small amounts such as a half pint or less. So if you don't want to take any chances that some child could get into it what I have done it taken an old piece of wood out in my yard and pour it on the piece of wood. some will soak in but the more air it's exposed to the faster it evaporates.

cplradar and John Burgess like this.
  5. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Please explain how adding denatonium benzoate prevents people and animals from trying to drink nail polish remover?

6. Lehigh96

It is known as Bitrex because it is the most bitter compound known. Adding even a tiny amount makes the taste unbearable for anyone who would try to drink it.

Scuba4fun777 likes this.
  7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Most of us using Acetone are only using small amounts. I use about a baby food jar full and when I'm done on the cement it goes and like magic it's gone in 20 seconds.

8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

there is nothing funny about this topic. reasonable environmental and legal considerations are needed, and this is not a matter to make jokes of. And you certainly wouldn't want someone to accidentally to drink this because you thought you were smart and funny.

Jeffjay and 1865King like this.
  9. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Minor warning. Acetone may eat through some types of plastic gloves. Some have PVC in them as well as other materials that acetone will dissolve. If you wear any gloves make sure acetone won't attach them. By using the wrong type of gloves you could adding something to the acetone you aren't aware of. And that could end up on the coin and cause more trouble.

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Good POINT. I didn't even think about that. It would argue for the use of cotton gloves when handling coins.

11. Lehigh96

You should never wear gloves when handling coins. The decrease in dexterity increases the likelihood that you will drop the coin and impart damage either to the rim or surfaces. And the increased risk of dropping the coin with a gloved hand is much higher than leaving a fingerprint on a coin with a bare hand.

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I had acetone in a glass (an old style whisky glass) and I couldn't always prevent them from dropping hard into the glass, much as I tried. It bothered me a great deal. I need a better solution, like a basket to dip, of some kind.

13. Lehigh96

Its just nail polish remover, just stick your fingers in the acetone and then wash them with soap and water after. Or you could use a spoon.

masterswimmer likes this.
  14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I use small wood tongs to place the coin into the Acetone

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I can think of something worse than acetone fumes.. Cigarette fumes! :yack:
    And us non smokers are exposed to it all day long! :confused:

16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Clothespins work and the stuff evaporates easily. It's a good degreaser as well

serafino likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It only takes one ounce of acetone for each bath you give a coin. I use a shot glass for this. Take the used acetone outside and pour it on a rag. It will dry in just a few minutes.

19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

One little Krakatoa, Mount Vesuvius, or St. Helens every couple hundred years makes human contributions seem paltry.

Z

serafino likes this.
  20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

most likely sent to china, then they dump it in the sea, lol that is what happens to trillions of pound of "recycled" plastic waste from usa, mountains of the stuff, sometimes they light it on fire, oft times just let it blow into the sea, true story..facts...

21. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

NOTE: Old thread alert

This is NOT TRUE for hazardous chemicals. They are sent to specialized companies that either destroy/incinerate them, recycle them, neutralize them, or landfill them at special sites in appropriate containers. They are legally responsible for following all EPA rules.

Plastic is not a regulated hazardous waste. Comparing the two is pointless and nothing more than misinformation.

BTW: nothing wrong with reviving older threads, but I would suggest adding a note to your post indicating it's old. That's a courtesy to other members who might otherwise respond to posts from members who are no longer around

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted