how does a coin end up with a dent or bend like this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by robin f, Aug 14, 2020.

1. robin f

robin f Member

i will now be using dimes when i cant find my screwdriver

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robin f

robin f Member

i guess they are more pliable than i thought. thanks for the intel i will use one next time i open a beer.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, I've used a dime as a screwdriver before, when there wasn't the proper tool handy.

As a former detectorist, I can also attest to how many warped, lawnmower-damaged coins are out there in the ground. That apparently happens quite a bit to coins lying on the surface. They get sucked up into the blades and spat back out onto the lawn. Some get just mildly bent and others get nearly shredded.

So either of those scenarios is plausible.

5. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

They also had a belly dancer who flip coins on her belly, just by her belly movement.
    She could also flip a coin on both sides of the one in the middle, or behind it etc..

robin f likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You might try the Mint in Denver, it would be closer and they have tours as well. The problem with the tours is you are viewing from a distance and the details of what is going on tend to be hidden from view by soundproofing and safety equipment.

There are several good videos of the coin making process on youtube. This is an excellent one if a little old. The bagging information is outdated.

Another good one is this one, but it is a "B roll" type film and unnarrated. They also spend way too long on the counting process.

This one is good to see the old more hands on methods (This is an old silent film showing coin making close to a century ago with written slide narration. Unfortunately the people who posted the video added a music soundtrack. I would recommend watching this one with the sound OFF.)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Oldhoopster and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

The coin could of been bent like this??

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted