How doable is a complete set of imperial silver denarii?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Volante, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I've been thinking it would be a fun challenge to complete an entire set of imperial denarii by emperor. Anybody completed that set before and/or can speak to the difficulty/expense of it? I would limit myself to senior emperors only, so no Aelius for instance. I would target at least VF condition throughout (XF for the common emperors). And I wouldn't include any of the post-Gordian bronze denarii, but would limit myself to the standard silver issues.

Going from memory, this is the list I have - any I'm missing? I'm thinking maybe <$10k for all (assuming I start from scratch), with Gordian I/II and Caligula accounting for 2/3rd of that - do you think that's a reasonable budget?

Augustus
    Tiberius
    Caligula
    Claudius
    Nero
    Galba
    Otho
    Vitellius
    Vespasian
    Titus
    Domitian
    Nerva
    Trajan
    Hadrian
    Antoninus Pius
    Marcus Aurelius
    Lucius Verus
    Commodus
    Pertinax
    Didius Julianus
    Septimius Severus
    Caracalla
    Geta
    Macrinus
    Elagabalus
    Severus Alexander
    Maximinus Thrax
    Gordian I
    Gordian II
    Pupienus
    Balbinus
    Gordian III

Gallienus and Phoenix21 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Quite the list. I know Pupienus and Balbinus will be a challenge. Keep us up-to-date.

philologus_1 and Volante like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

From that list, it can be done. Hopefully, price isn't going to be an issue, because a few are heavy wallet hitters, compared to snores like Gordian III.

Noah Worke and philologus_1 like this.
  5. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Claudius will be pretty expensive too.

philologus_1 likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Gordian I, Gordian II, Pupienus, Balbinus... Toughies, all!

7. Volante

Yeah, have been checking through coinarchives and realizing some of these would be a bit more expensive than I thought (in VF). I think they can be divided into roughly 4 groups, based on price range:

Group 1 (<$100): Vespasian, Domitian, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, Lucius Verus, Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta, Macrinus (might be tough), Elagabalus, Severus Alexander, Maximinus Thrax, Gordian III
    Group 2 ($100-500): Augustus, Tiberius, Nero, Galba, Vitellius (might be tough), Titus, Nerva, Pupienus, Balbinus
    Group 3 ($500-1000): Otho, Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger
    Group 4 ($1000-5000): Caligula, Claudius, Gordian I (seems to be rarely for sale), Gordian II

<$10k might be unrealistic, maybe more like $15-20k...

Gallienus, Finn235, Eduard and 2 others like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd slide Pupienus and Balbinus into Group 3. I think you'd be lucky to achieve those in the Group 2 price tier.

DonnaML and tibor like this.
  9. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

The only way to know what the potential cost is would be to know your minimum standards. I know you said VF but there is still a great deal of variability in “VF.” Centered coins with good portraits, no issues and all of the legends visible would be significantly more than 10 grand. I’m doing a set that includes 160 different people. I don’t have a Caligula or either of the Gordians. One, Caligula coins aren’t always that great and the decent ones are super expensive. Gordian I and II actually come decent almost always but command a significant premium that seems to go up at each auction. Gordian I and II and Caligula will be 10 grand for anything that is decent. But, you can take solace in the fact that you are only doing denarii. If you get to the last few emperors, you’ll pay several hundred dollars for a small bronze, with a visible monogram being the only reason for purchase. LOL.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    philologus_1 and Volante like this.
  10. Volante

That's fair - I saw a couple recent auction results <$500, but most above it.

All very true! I'll be looking for VF coins with at least decent eye appeal, not harshly cleaned, no grafitto, and reasonably well-centered. So even $15k may be a pipe dream.

And yeah, a big part of the reason I'm sticking to denarii is because the coins actually look pretty nice for the most part. If I ever finish this, maybe I'll do an add-on of the silver/billon antoninianus, the argenteus and the siliqua.

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The Caligula denarius is a bear. I have seen five or six of them at the shows since I have been looking. I have a fairly low grade AS in that spot. The cheapest one was something like $3,200. I remember one that was marked $5,000 which had been cleaned in a way that I didn't like for an ancient coin. Another was $6,000, and it didn't do anything for me for the money.

Gordian I and II can cost you even more. They were only a office for about two weeks. Their coins were issued for longer than that, but they are still very tough.

Here is a nice Gordian I who has hair.

Gordian I Africa DE All.jpg

Here is a super nice Gordian II who is bald.

Gordian II Africanus All.jpg

I have heard from the dealers that all of the 12 caesars are selling very well now. They can't keep them in stock.

Attached Files:

Alegandron, Bing and Volante like this.
  12. johnmilton

I filled the Claudius spot with these two. This Cistophoric Tetradrahm featured Claudius and his lovely wife, Agripina who murdered him to get her son, Nero, on the throne.

Claudius & Agr All.jpg

And I found this nice Claudius AS later. It's hard to sell ancient copper coins to me because I don't like green copper. I know that opinion does not reflect good taste, but if you have collected U.S. coins for years, avoiding green copper is a hard habit to break.

Claudius AS All.jpg

longshot and Bing like this.
  13. LukeGob

LukeGob Well-Known Member

Doable, sure. Greek silver could bring the cost down a bit on some, if that's an acceptable substitute for a Denarius. But, yeah, I think very doable (& fun!). Little patience & vigilance. I think you'll be able to find Claudius cheaper than that. Good luck!

Alegandron and Volante like this.
  14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

If you manage to acquire the mentioned emperors in silver, in minimum VF quality, and without exceeding your budget, you'd set a record. Especially in the current market!

Volante and mrbreeze like this.
  15. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

I've picked up 32 such denarii (your first 27 (through Maximinus Thrax) plus Julius Caesar, Diadumenian, Pescennius Niger, Clodius Albinus, and Aelius) over the past 5 years or so. Not all VF, but I am happy with them. You can see the lot here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/12-and-20-caesars.358314/

Also picked up a Vindex last year. Agree with folks here ... the Gordian I and II's are non trivial. Good luck with your journey.

Volante likes this.
  16. Volante

Yeah, may be quite the challenge - but I don't mind taking some time to complete it! I'll have to broaden my numisbids searching beyond the auction houses I usually focus on.

Very nice! Got some nice sharp portraits on that Caligula. Any idea how much you may have spent in total on your set?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Yes, there are deals out there if you search long enough. Below two of the 'rare' 12 caesars in silver. Not in VF condition, but together less then 900 EUR. It's the question how much you want to pay for better quality.

6.2.png

7.5.png

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^Wow, that was a good deal.

The Meat man likes this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

You have gotten many good replies. Every one of those emperors is quite available, if you are willing to pay the price which can be high. I recommend you pay attention to the many auction consolidators:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/dealers.html
    and use their search engines.
    If you start with the easier, less expensive, ones and find coins in conditions that please you, you may find that you are confronted with the problem every collector runs up against, either
    buying the rarer ones in pleasing condition for more than you wanted to pay, or
    buying the rarer ones for the price you wanted to pay and not liking the condition as much.
    For that goal I think you are likely to go over 10k, but you don't need to decide that now. Buy coins you like in conditions you like and by the time you have only ten left on your want list you may have decided you'd rather buy something else from a different wantlist. That's fine. I'd wager most of us have several wantlists going at once, and many of us have decided the prices of the expensive ones are not worth completing that list because so many other interesting ancient coins can be acquired instead.

Cucumbor, Curtis, Volante and 3 others like this.
  20. johnmilton

I found that some of emperors who are supposed to be “easy” are not that way if you are looking for coins with all or most of the lettering visible. Vitellius was one. His long name often seemed to run off the coin. I had a chance to buy one that a wonderful portrait with good color and surfaces, but hardly a letter in sight. I passed with urging of the dealer who could have sold it to me told me I could do better. I did but getting one with every letter visible, but it was not cheap.

Volante and philologus_1 like this.
  21. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Your are missing Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus from your list.
    Anyway, even in VF, I think you are more likely to look at 20K+ for this project.

Volante and El Cazador like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted