How do you...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Thelivinglady, Mar 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Thelivinglady

Thelivinglady Member

I am ready to start some roll hunting. Can you give me some hints as to how to approach a bank to ask for them; i.e., rolls of halves.

Thanks. A pretty old, but living lady. :cat:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I find it best to start a relationship with the bank manager...identify a teller or two you can work with, and attempt to meet their schedule (go at off-peak times and when the vault isn't locked down). Arrange in advance and understand what the return policy is. Some won't dump where they pick up, but I honestly never had problems returning to the same bank because I had a relationship established.

I never did halves...and there are plenty of silver searchers that aren't interested in collecting. They'll grab a box and be done in an hour. They may go through thousands a week. Banks know this...and aren't in the business of appeasing them...or collectors. That's why relationships are important. Don't burn them out and wear out your welcome...especially at your own bank.

Welcome to CT!! Others who search halves will be along to offer you more salient advice.

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Welcome to CT

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

TC? I thought TC was for Top Cat!

manny9655 and dwhiz like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Just develop a nude relationship with the tellers. Start off small at first.

Tater, Oldhoopster and spirityoda like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Oh my! Not nude but nice. Small keys large fingers strikes again. My apologies if I offended anyone.

8. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Welcome to CT!!! Good advise from @Kevinmader! I have accounts at two banks and a credit union. One of the banks has a few branches close enough to drive to quickly. I have a great relationship with my main bank so they are willing to order coins for me. I started slow with some idle chat about coin collecting. Then I asked if they would be willing to trade out some rolled coins (cents, nickels, dimes and quarters) for me. Now they tell me they will order 1/2 dollars and small dollars for me anytime I need more! I am one of those people who try not to burden them with a lot of returns. When I take them to the other bank (different branches) or credit union I deposit them. They won't complain about deposits and I can do a withdrawal in a few days. Works out great for me. Boxes of candy at Christmas don't hurt either!! LOL

Kevin Mader likes this.
  9. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Just politely ask the teller if they have any rolls of halves. I get my JFKs that way. Sometimes they have some, and sometimes they don't. With halves, they usually don't have loose ones (but you might get lucky), so they may have to pull your rolls out of the vault and you may have to wait a few minutes. Sometimes they may not have any at all. It can be a crap shoot. It's hard to find silver in rolls of halves any more, but it is possible. Also look for die varieties that many folks don't know about, like the "No FG (designer's initials)" varieties. The FG is under the eagle's left leg (on your right). There are also some doubled die varieties to look for. Good luck, happy hunting, and welcome! We're here to help if you have a question.

Kevin Mader and 1stSgt22 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted