How do you value MS67+* with huge value difference?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vess1, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

This should be a very interesting thread. A very unique toned mercury dime sold on the bay tonight that was graded MS-67+*(star) with it being the only one possessing that grade by NGC. I've been watching it all week along with 23 other people. Nobody bid on it all week. I think because nobody was sure what to do.

It was a 1945. Entire obverse had a rose gold, champagne color too it with deep luster. Reverse had a ring of the same toning and was blast white in the middle. Can see it here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-10c-N...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1945s are relatively common in MS-67 and price guide lists them at $75. There's only been 10 given a MS-68 and price guide puts them at $1400. (How or why this coin wasn't a MS-68, I do not know.)

How do you value a coin like this? The seller had it listed at 299. At 11 seconds there were no bids so I put in $350 hoping to cover anyone's last second bid. (I didn't NEED it for my registry but it was very attractive and I would've liked to have it.) At 3 seconds somebody outbid me with the second bid. If I hadn't bid they would've gotten it for $300. Maybe it was somebody here? I just wasn't sure how to value it. I thought I was going to steal it but it only takes one other person that has to have it. Maybe it was worth much more.

I guess at some point if you take away NGCs opinion it's just another very nice toned merc that they gave a star too. I've sent a lot of coins their way that I thought deserved stars and they never give one.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That wasn't really the toning I was expecting. That said I think they still got a pretty good deal. If you could get a CAC on that (especially with a crossover) I would put the value closer to 700 800ish as a + with CAC can often come very close to the next grade up if not reach it in price.

That said even without it I bet if someone put a BIN on that of say 600 it would sell at some point or may even be one of those coins that you could immediately send to GC and have it do better. I'm not sure an eBay auction was the best venue to maximize that coins value especially with how many people can't do coins anymore from getting switched to their new payment method

Paul M. likes this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Beautifully toned dime, I'm not surprised that it sold for so much at all! I hope it looks as good in hand! :)

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I looked through every auction result listed on either PCGS or NGC's web site, and none went over $360. I think I'd rather have the one that went for $360 on Heritage than the one you've pointed out, but I don't think $350 was an outrageous price.

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I just looked and it sold for $355.00. Wonder if you would've won it for $375?

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yes, I lost it. I'm thinking somebody put a very high bid in the last 5 seconds because I put in 350 at 11 seconds and they cleared me out. There's so many other things I want that I wasn't going all out on it, knowing other people would likely bid it up on me in the last 10 seconds. I tried to snag it but one of the other 21 people wanted it more and there it went. Oh well. It was interesting. Not something you're going to find on ebay every day.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's definitely a chocolate and vanilla thing, but I like the ebay coin a lot more than the Heritage example !

That said I wouldn't pay $300 for either one of them - even if it was my favorite series ! Of course, that's a chocolate and vanilla thing too.

Paul M. and Vess1 like this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Are the rumors true that there's a new symbol that they're going to add to the + and ☆ ?

It's a.

The criterion for attaining this
    designation is whether the coin, upon the grader seeing it, quickens his/her heart.

?

MIGuy likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I saw this auction earlier in the week but the coin didn't captivate me at the starting bid. It appears to have intense luster and nice (but not high end) color. The final price seems to be fair for the grade and eye appeal. Is there room for a flip? I could see it. Maybe someone will try a few times and even get it into a 68 holder (and make money that way).

Paul M. likes this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Modern coins are not in my wheelhouse, but all of these prices look high.

The Grey Sheet says that a 1945 dime in MS-67 is worth $45. That has to be for the typical "white coin" example. So you must be paying for color.

Frankly the color on the OP coin does not turn me on. I'm not a fan of the coin that Heritage sold for a lot of money either, but CAC liked it, and that makes all the difference to some people. If you look at blow-ups of the Heritage piece, it has some minor marks on the cheek. When you get to the MS-67 grade those things mean something.

If this coin had had split bands, that's another story. The 1945-P dime with split bands is very tough. I would never pay the money for it, but I have known collectors who would.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I think people are throwing down money not for a coin, but for a holder with BOTH a "+" AND a "☆."

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

"I don't "throw down money" for such things. I throw money down when I like the coin, token or medal, it has a good story connected with it and it fits in my collection. "+" and "☆" are not nearly enough.

Paul M. and mlov43 like this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Those are good criteria. I especially like a provenance, if sufficient evidence exists to make it convincing.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. baseball21

16. baseball21

17. baseball21

Ugh never mind, no idea what happened. Posted it three times then my initial post disappearance

18. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

If it didn't have the star I wouldn't have even known it was for sale. The star brings stuff like that to your attention from the rest of the field. The + just means they felt it was the higher end of 67, pushing 68. I have no idea what makes them use a + in that instance over just bumping it to a 68. At that point it's really getting subjective. The star is worth alot more registry points. If I like two coins equally and one got a star and the other didn't I'm using the star. I liked that one but it wasn't a desperate need. I'd go $350 on it. Wasn't willing to go $400. And as we saw, $350 couldn't buy it after it sat with zero bids all week.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. baseball21

That's basically what my debacle glitch post was saying. That in terms of price the * does nothing when it comes to color other than make it easier to search for. For things like one sided PL or one sided Cam/Dcam it can drive price and is helpful, it's just that my big complaint with the star is that it cam mean too many different things and often confuses people what it's saying when it isn't for color

Paul M. likes this.
  20. William lindsay

William lindsay New Member

[​IMG] they said it coulden't be done but if the nickle was cut the same size as a penny it could fit in the coin stamper it will just be thick as a nickle this is it wt.2.6.

21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Start your own separate thread. Your picture does not show. The US Mint will not alter a Nickle planchet to fit into a Cent chamber. Whatever you have is altered post mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted