How do you trust Silver coins? One suggestion:

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Doc J, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I've found a fake Morgan CC dollar. It's not like I got to make a picture as he hide it (so he knew it was a fake).

I did the magnetic test first. Silver is different from other metals as it never reacts to a magnet. If the magnet sticks, it has some other metals in it.
    [​IMG]

I also bring a large magnifying glass (mine has a bright light).
    [​IMG]

Most dealers are honest guys, but a few are different. Be careful.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

and what do you look for with the magnifying glass?

4. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

You know what to look for as a "Well-Known Member".

You look for sharp edges and no wear. You then look at the dealer and offer him a fair price. The price of gold and silver is below the 200-day moving average and fell below a key price point this week. It may go lower and do so quickly with interest rates going higher.

It's a good time to make a fair offer for a coin. Book value is around $1250/oz on gold with $12.15/oz on silver.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

A magnet is a good first test. The ONLY metals attracted to a magnet are Iron, Nickel and Cobalt. This test would just mean that the coin is not made from them. The sharpness of the strike is meaningless. The "sharp edges" might apply when trying to distinguish between a cast coin and a struck coin.

BTW, if you are selling silver for $12.15/oz, I would like to order some.

6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The bright light is the key. Makes everything all sorts of shinny.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really.. Unnecessary remark o_O

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There is also the tissue test -
    download.jpeg
    Silver will show brighter through 1 layer of tissue

352sdeer and green18 like this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But keep in mind that the tissue test can be fooled by a silver plating.

green18 likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So can XRF

11. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I think nickel is not attracted to a magnet.

And I am not selling at $12.15/oz. :D I meant to state X 12.15 face.

Gold went to below $1250 recently and silver fell well below $16/oz. (X 11.50 face).

I am just a long term buyer for my hobby.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nickel is attracted to a magnet. Try a Canadian dime 1968-2000 made of nickel and see.
    The new ones are nickel plated steel.
    Although some 1968's were 50% silver but I've never gotten one.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Pure nickel is strongly attracted to a magnet. When combined in alloy with other metals, it loses it's magnetic properties once the other metal(s) exceed roughly 11% of the alloy.

Kentucky and Oldhoopster like this.
  14. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

If you are going to counterfit a Carson City worth several hundred dollars or more, why not just make it out of silver? It's only going to cost like $14. Identifying fakes is not about metal content, although that could be an obvious indicator if you are lucky.

serafino likes this.
  15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

People aren't allowed to export silver out of China - it is considered a strategic material necessary for government use.

16. Clawcoins

In 2017 China exported about $1.5 Billion dollars of silver ???
    And Hong Kong was over $3 Billion worth of silver.
    and what about products .. solar panels, batteries, etc ?

I do not know the details of it but back in 2002 China allowed their citizens to finally own PMs. And 2009 the gov't was promoting it as you can pick up PMs from you local bank instead of Yuan from your paycheck.

I also know they considered export bans .. but I was unaware that they did that ?? Didn't they also abolished a ban on silver imports in 2015 ??

I'm just looking for more information on that export ban.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I could swear the last time I checked That Site it had plenty of silver "reproductions". I'll have to check again.

Edit: yep.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  18. TheFinn

They say that they are silver, but I have found they are plated. The Chinese Gov't doesn't want any wealth leaving the country.

19. TheFinn

The Chinese Government exported it. Not Hopsing's private mint. I worked at a private bullion mint here in the U.S., and know first hand that they will not allow anything out in silver or gold unless it is plated. The Government sells stuff, but they set the price and get the profit.

20. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

China is a smart country that does a great job in protecting their assets. Too bad that we in the USA are not as smart as China

21. Clawcoins

Let's not forget they are a Communist state. So one does what the State says.

Silversloth likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted