How Do You Think NGC or PCGS Would Grade A Coin With Finning?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by keemao, Sep 5, 2015.

1. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Just curious, since I have several of the new Ironworkers C&C sets with finning on the coin, has anyone had any experience sending in a coin with finning to be graded? If this is a common problem with these coins then would they ever get a 70 with finning?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Sure! so long as the surface areas look flawless. So far as I know, finning does not affect grade unless it is minimal.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If it is significant, you could get it certified as a Mint Error (there may be an additional charge for this).

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

$60 at PCGS!
    Tier Price + $15 at NGC. ($15 + $15)

I seriously doubt that the additional grading fee's would cover any premium in these coins since it simply is not "significant" finning.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't know that they don't for certain, but I've never heard of a coin being attributed as an error because of finning. Finning is just too common and not really an error anyway.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm sending 2 to ANACS on that special they have going and I noted"Finning" on the paperwork.
    We'll see what happens ...noting ventured nothing gained

8. physics-fan3.14

Yes, finning is definitely an error. Here is a description of how it happens, for those unfamiliar: http://www.error-ref.com/finning/

And yes, the services definitely attribute it.

Here is a PCGS example: http://www.apmex.com/product/82214/2013-1-2-oz-gold-eagle-finned-rim-mint-error-ms-69-pcgs

Here is ANACS: http://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/2008...-11604.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Depending on the severity of the finning and the rarity of the type, it may be worth a decent premium. Modern dollars seem to be fairly common with finning, from a quick web search.

9. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I think I'll call NGC Tuesday and get their input as to whether they would grade it as an error or not. At least the more substantial one.

10. GDJMSP

Fair enough.

11. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

So I was requested to send pictures to NGC of the "finning" and they said it doesn't qualify for finning and sent this response. I am attaching some of the pictures I sent with the email. If it's not finning that qualifies to be listed on a label, then what the heck would you call it? Now my decision is do I send them all back and ask for replacements, which will take time since they are on backorder, sell them on ebay with pics of "finning"? Sheesh. And yes, I could easily cut my finger on some of these coins with this flaw on them like NGC suggests. A002 - 20150908_111119 copy.jpg A003 - 20150908_111232 copy.jpg A005 - 20150908_111411 copy.jpg

12. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Forgot to add NGC's response to my email.

"Though the advantages of using close collars over open collars were many, including uniformity of diameter and raised rims that protected a coin from wear, they did present a new set of problems for the mints to overcome. These collars had to be aligned properly with the obverse and reverse dies to avoid what U.S. Mint personnel called "finning." This phenomenon is better known to the coin hobby as a "wire rim," and it resulted from metal being forced through a gap between the perimeter of the die and the inside diameter of the collar. If all these pieces fit together perfectly, a complete seal was achieved, and no wire rim would be seen—at least not on coins struck for circulation. With proof pieces, however, the multiple strikes required to bring out the coin's design fully often produced a fine wire rim on one or both sides of the coin. On the proofs struck since 1968, especially those reeded-edge pieces made from the very hard copper-nickel-clad composition, these wire rims are sometimes sharp enough to cut a person's skin if the coin is not handled carefully."

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

I can only assume that the decision for qualification depends on the matter of degree of the finning. For example, this is what the coin linked to by physics-fan that qualified for finning designation looks like -

[​IMG]

Now compare that to your coin.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I would qualify that level of finning as an error. However, the commonly seen finning is just too minor (and boring) for me to consider it an "error". Just like machine doubling, it's just part of the process and it happens regularly.

15. GDJMSP

Which is what I said in post #5. And apparently, the TPGs agree also.

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This one is part of my collection
    E3145.62-12894300.jpg

17. physics-fan3.14

Hmm... yes, now that I see the pictures, I agree that this is not significant enough to be designated as an error. This is a very small imperfection, and appears to be within mint tolerances.

To be fair, in my original post I did say that it had to be significant...

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted