How do you tell 2000-P Sacagawea Dollar Goodacre ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by redcent230, May 15, 2017.

1. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

How do you tell if it is a 2000-P Sacagawea Dollar Goodacre Dollar ?? Is it the design like the cheerios or something else ? Or anything like the 2000 millennium coinage currency set ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

the cheerios 1 has more defined tail feather in the middle on the end

4. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Quote from my favorite website i use,

"One of the special issues of the series is known as the 2000 “Goodacre Presentation” Sacagawea Dollar. The designer of the coin Glenna Goodacre had requested that the US Mint pay her the $5,000 design fee entirely in new Sacagawea Dollars. The Mint complied with her request and unexpectedly provided coins featuring a special finish.

All of the coins provided to Goodacre as payment had been specially burnished and treated with an antioxidant. The coins were clearly different in appearance than untreated coins issued for general circulation. The surfaces of the coin were highly reflective and proof like in appearance.

The designer had all 5,000 of the coins encapsulated by Independent Coin Grading (ICG) to preserve their provenance. The coins were numbered andcarried the designation “Goodacre Presentation”. The grading company did not assign a numerical grade to the pieces. At the ANA 2000 World’s Fair of Money held in Philadelphia, a total of 3,000 of the coins were sold to collectors for $200 each."

http://sacagaweadollarguide.com/2000-goodacre-presentation-sacagawea-dollar/

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

she made a small fortune from doing this.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There's a little more to the story, both ICG coins cracked and the remainder were sold and repackaged in PCGS slabs. Still remains my best (unintentional) cherrypick. Bought for $10 from a dealers junk bin (he bought it as part of a 'collection' for basically nothing), sold for $310 and my friend the 2nd dealer sold it onward via eBay for $465.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The answer to your question has been provided. But reality is that the average collector, and even many advanced collectors, cannot tell if a coin is a Goodacre coin or not. Assuming of course that the coin is not in a slab.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  9. redcent230

I have read them articles and link and that is why I am asking the group. I have seen PL on 2000 Sac on 2000 millennium have that kind of surface . So how can anyone tells the different from that ??

10. GDJMSP

Well that's pretty much the point, you can't.

Ya see there's more to this than what has been said. All of the Goodacre coins were slabbed by ICG. And those that were crossed to NGC or PCGS slabs had to be sent to them in the original ICG slab or they would not be crossed at all.

Also, the only difference between the Goodacre coins and the regular coins is that the planchets of the Goodacre coins were polished before striking. So if a regular coin just happened to be an early strike on a nice planchet, and come from a nice set of dies - nobody could tell the difference.

And no the so called "special coating" doesn't make any difference either. All of the coins were coated, not just the Goodacre coins.

11. redcent230

12. Dan Armando

Dan Armando New Member

So the answer is there really insn't a Goodacre coin...as you cannot distinguish the difference or in fact if you have one. So there..no such thing as a Goodacre.

13. GDJMSP

Yes there is. The lady was paid with 5,000 of the coins, and she had ICG slab all 5,000 of them. That's what makes them Goodacre coins. To be a Goodacre coin it has to be 1 of the 5,000 she was given.

Granted, if you remove the coin from its slab you can't tell if it is or it isn't one of them. But that doesn't mean there aren't any or that there isn't any such thing.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The answer is that the only way you can tell a Goodacre coin is if it is in a slab already labeled Goodacre Presentation. I strong suspect that if you cracked one out an sent it in raw it would come back as Details.

15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I believe the ones that were reholdered by PCGS would also be identified as Goodacre even though no longer ICG

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

17. millerlife24

millerlife24 New Member

I’m pretty certain I have one.. and there is most definitely a difference in there ones

Draft saved Draft deleted