How do you "tactfully" disagree with a dealer

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merlin1066, Mar 30, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

I haven't had to disagree with a grade from a dealer but I'm sure it happens. Being a new collector I have limited experience with grading. I just want to be prepaired for when it does happen.

Thanks again!
    Mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The easiest way is simply not to buy the coin. If he still has it 6 months later, you can try suggesting that the coin is overgraded and maybe he will drop the price.

4. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Discussing a grade with a dealer is easy. Speak your mind.

He will know instantly if you know the series or are of a " redbook collector " mentality.

If you approach a dealer with a tray of buffalo nickels, a tray of mercs, Morgans, Moderns, off brand slabs, by all means, good luck to you.

Stick to the folks who deal in a type or a series.

Learn your series that you are shopping for, then stick to your guns. You will do well.

5. snaz

snaz Registry fever

For online purchases if I like the coin or disagree with the grade or price show them an example of a coin graded "the same" by a tpg, and explain how theirs is different than that one.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you are fairly confident with your grading knowledge, you could offer the pricing appropriate for the correct grade. If you get into a question of grade, you wouldn't get a discount anyway. I just say " I would go $$ if you want to consider that" and if they say no, then thank them and walk away.

Jim

7. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Thanks for the input everyone!

8. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I forgot to add, ignore ANY grade, be it plastic slab, flip or 2x2 or a website page.........those are not YOUR opinions, they are of the seller or the TPG.

It's YOUR money

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

What Jack just said, right there. Learn to grade it, stick to your guns. I love my dealer and he's a great guy, but he don't know the barbers. I do. When I tell him hey thats overgraded or in a couple cases thats undergraded he listens to me. Conversely when I buy morgans I can get to MS but beyond that he is my go to guy and I listen to what he has to say. Become an expert in your "field" and people will pay attention.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

grunting works. Walking out the door also works. Did you ever ttry just smiling and saying, "How did you get to that grade?"

Ruben

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

This doesn't work for me. When I'm seriously buying a coin, I'm hunting for months and there are two factors to making the purchase

A) My budget for the coin. I'm going to get the best coin I can in my budget

B) The condition of the coin, regardless of the grade.

I'm brought a number of coins outside of normal grading departmentalization because I found after looking at 300 hundred examples that full steps cause the price to skyrocket, but a sharp strike with popped out windows and a fully defined hair on the obverse.... does not.

Ruben

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I have no problem talking to my dealer - sometimes I even ask how they came to a conclusion on a grade just to learn. Bottom line if I do not like the price I do not buy. And like Jack says - learn your stuff and form you own opinion on coins. And have fun!

13. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Do you practice in the bathroom? :eek:dd:

Ribbit :D

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

On the subway on the way to work. Makes for more room in the car.

Ruben

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

That is not really an easy question nor are there easy answers. So much depends on the situation. You must remember the many different situations that could be involved with a difference in opinions. Lighting, a coins enclosure such as a slab or a 2x2 and/or in a glass case. In shops glass case with odd ball lighting. Then of course the many differences in people's eyes. By that I mean if you look into the structure of the human eye you would note the differences in the color of the Iris. As light passes through the Cornia, passes the Iris, into the pupil, light is effected by the differences in that Iris's color. This is why so many dissagree on the color of a paint and naturally causes arguments with husbands and wives as to the color of a room. Also, cataracs, near sightedness, contact lenses, glasses, etc also create differences in an objects appearance.
    As to a reaction to or from a dealer when there is such a dissagreement. That too depends on the individuals. If a customer just had a fight with his wife, the comments about a coins grade could be in vulgar terminology. If that customer just got a raise in pay at work, he might try giving you more than the asking price. yeah, right.
    For me I'm old and really don't fight with people much anymore. So if I dissagree with a dealer I just say I don't think so and walk away. Sometimes I just smile and still walk away.

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Easiest thing is to buy what appeals to your eye rather than what is written on a bit of paper, you look at 2 coins one has a high grade but looks off to you and the other has a lower grade but sparkles for you :D Now if you are not buying for investment which do you go with LOL

17. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Why disagree at all?

Why disagree at all? If looking to buy just say "I'll pass" if looking to sell just decline.
    Look, learn to grade yourself the best you can knowing full well you will always have something new to learn and some mistakes to be made.
    Coin grading debates rarely accomplish anything - you'd be better of studying your grading book.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

In my opinion, there is no tactful way to do what you're asking. When presented with a coin, I have found the best course of action to be to just pass or play -- don't comment on the coin itself other than to say "It's not for me."

19. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Simple solution. Never disagree with a grade. Simply decide if your willing to pay the money the dealer is asking, if not make a counteroffer based on what you think the grade is. There are dealers who make it a practice to buy at one grade and sell at another. ie.. I'll give you X amount because I see this coin as a VF35, turn around and price it at XF45 money. Remember, its your money and he wants it more than he wants the coin. If not why would he try and sell the coin????

20. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

That's basically what I was going to suggest, but you beat me to it. All that matters is the price, and the dealer and customer don't even have to exchange opinions about the grade to do business.

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Then learn how to grade.

I'd first set out to learn how to technical or condition grade the particular series of coin you're interested in. Our archives, by this point, should be rich in that information...and, the nuances...just look for the threads. Then, assuming you, for the most part, mastered that, understand, there are also "market factors," such as "toning," all coalescing on "eye appeal," which also may, either positively or negatively, impact on the coin's grade and retail value. That's, IMHO, where the most room for negotiation is. It's on that market side of the grade, not the technical or condition side. Or, I'll say, in most cases, that's what you'll find.

Hey, how can I negotiate on the asking price on a used car when I don't know anything about cars? Same question, and answer, basically. Hope some of this makes a lick of sense. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted