How do you store your slabs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCB1983, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I guess that's kinda one of the points of this topic. If you buy slabs that aren't scratched, and then store/handle them correctly, then scratching shouldn't be an issue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Three Intercept Shield boxes of 20.
    Current count, 48....my whole collection....:eek:

. 006.jpg

4. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

It's not the quantity that counts; it's the quality. :)

5. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I don't mean to reject your wisdom, but where on earth did you hear that?

The only time wood gives off gas, is when heated.

I've stored coins in wood for years, and they look just as good as the day I put them in there.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Really ? I find that strange. When you open a cedar chest, or a cedar lined closet, do you not smell the cedar ? What do you suppose that smell is ? It is the gasses being put off by the wood. And no, the wood is not being heated.

Or go the lumber yard, pick up any piece of wood, of any kind, you want. Smell it. What you smell are the gasses being put off by the wood. And no, it is not being heated.

And some people will tell you that they have scrubbed coins for years with tooth brushes, steel wool, and every other thing you can think of - and the coins look great !

Detecto, they used wood coin cabinets for centuries, worldwide, for the storage of coins. But very few people use them anymore. And the few people who still like to use wood coin cabinets, and the people who build those coins cabinets, will all tell you the same thing. Use no wood for a coin cabinet other than mahogany. Do you know why ? Because mahogany puts off fewer harmful gasses than any other wood. But even mahogany still puts off harmful gasses. Just less of them.

These are facts, not opinions.

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Not true. Any wood finished with polyurethane gives off gasses all the time, as it reacts with the air. Now, you are a chemist?

8. Cherd

I just gave off some gas, it's freakin horrible! I hope my coins are OK. :eek:

9. Detecto92

Just because something smells does not mean it puts off gas.

Cinnamon smells the same for many years. You mean to tell me that there is such a thing as "cinnamon gas"?

Even if it wood does put off gas, where is any evidence that it affects coins?

There are all kinds of gases in the air. Nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, neon, methane, helium, to name a few.

I found a penny from 1998 that has been in a bottom of a dresser drawer since 1999, it looks just like any regular penny. It was even laying on wood.

I'm not saying your wrong Doug, but I will confute your claim til I see any evidence of wood affecting coins.

10. Cherd

If you can smell something, then your nose is detecting the presence of molecules or microparticles of the substance in the air. In the case of molecules, this would be a "gas" emitted from the substance. Even dried wood retains organic liquids (like sap, oils, etc.). Oils tend to have low vapor pressures, and therefore evaporate over long periods of time. Evaporation is conversion of liquid to gas, the molecules of which are detected by your nose.

11. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Might want to check those Fruit of the Looms for spots or serious toning...:D

12. Cherd

LOL. If my undies are toned, will you guys give me a hard time for cleaning them? And I mean HARSHLY!!! :eek:

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I'm not sure if I like where this thread is going. It is fun, though.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Plenty of evidence out there, all you have to do is look it up. Be my guest.

15. Detecto92

16. froggycoins

froggycoins Member

Anyway, since it is impossible to maintain absolute emptyness around the coin, it will finish with some toning sooner or later due to the interface between the metal and the environment.
    Later could be 10, 100 or 1000+ years... Just have a look to the ancient coins when "raw" :)

It is just matter or time

17. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

ive been constructing a tardis if anyone is interested.. i need some coral

18. camlov2

camlov2 Member

19. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

my bad breath..lol..

20. marid3

marid3 Member

Good advice - thanks. I currently store my slabs in the 'archival safe' cardboard boxes, but flirted with the idea of some kind of display case for a few slabs, but when I get around to thinking about that more (not today), I now have one more thing to consider than I did before. Thanks.

21. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

I have been storing slabs in wood cases for 10+ years. I seal the wood with urethane and use felt lining. no harm to the coins and you can make a classy display. I build my own for different looks/uses. some to lay flat and some to hold upright from 15 to 80 slabs. works for me. and i've sold a few here and there.

Draft saved Draft deleted