How do you store your slabs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCB1983, Jun 21, 2012.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My mistake! I meant to say "thread count" rather than post count. What I mean is, since you have only started 8 threads in 26 months, I'll probably be dead before I have the opportunity to post something worthless on one of your threads.

By the way, my post count is misleading since about one-third of that count can be attributed to greeting newcomers. Gee, I noticed that we joined at the same time. I guess you don't like to be bothered with the newcomers.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

While I agree with your sentiment about quality over quantity with respect to posts, I am not sure that using percentage of likes to total posts is a good indicator. The "like" feature is fairly new and many of the older members have thousands of posts that pre-date the feature. Having said that, I really like the "like" feature. It allows you the option of giving a "+1" without artificially inflating your post count, lol.

4. Lehigh96

I think practice makes perfect. Since the large majority of my collection is slabbed, I have much more experience photographing slabbed coins. As a result, I have perfected the technique and actually find it easier to photograph a slabbed coin as opposed to a raw coin. Strange, I know!

5. cpm9ball

Even though I do have some of the Eagle slab pages, I'm not a proponent of them. I used to have a lot more than I do now, and I ended up throwing some of them away. I found that they tend to crack at the binder holes and on the plastic strip that keeps the slab in the compartment. They are too expensive to have to waste them like that. Besides, they take up much more space than the slab boxes and/or shipping boxes.

Chris

6. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Good info, thank you for posting. I will read into them some more, but I was afraid there would be some fatal-flaw like that. Also, theres a small coin show in Maine this weekend, so I will check out how dealers display their slabs, might take some ideas from them. It will only be my second coin show, ever...

8. cpm9ball

Most dealers use the somewhat large display cases made of metal with a hinged, glass lid. These are definitely overkill and a waste of money just for the average collector to store or display their coins.

Chris

9. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Heh, I'm really not concerned about how many "likes" that I or anyone else has. I was just trying to get Chris's goat a little. I felt that I was unreasonably singled out and admonished for no good reason. Man's gotta defend himself here at Coin Talk, it's a cold hard world in here. :eek:

That's not true. I bet Lehigh respects me!......Maybe?.......even just a little? :(

That's just it, I wasn't ranting about anything. I put up a post with one picture and a statement that I thought would be humorous. If you attempt to belittle someone for that then you are attempting to prop yourself up at the expense of another. Did I really do something so wrong by wasting one post worth of space on something that wasn't exactly on topic? These forums are for socializing, information exchange, and ENTERTAINMENT! I think that you guys are taking things a bit too seriously, maybe you can go pick on someone else.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That box is an absolutely terrible idea ! I can think of very few options that could come anywhere near being as bad for storing your slabbed coins as that wood box is.

Wood puts off gases that are harmful to coins. Oak is one of the worst woods there is for this. About the only one that could be worse is cedar.

I strongly urge you, and anybody else, to get rid of wood storage boxes.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The coins that are not wildly valuable are stacked vertically in rows in shoeboxes--I am not fancy. The ones that I'd rather not have in the house are in a safe deposit box in a PCGS slab box.

12. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

in a demensional vortex fold of space and time

13. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

So what would you suggest Doug?

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Within the dimensional length of a PCGS box I found that I could shrink wrap something like 25-26 slabs. That equated to about 30% more coins fitting into the SDB.

The shrink-wrapped stacks stick to other shrink-wrapped stacks. You can't handle them & slide them into the SDBs like you would the boxes.

15. cpm9ball

It's true that a couple of others mentioned that they crack the coins out of slabs, but the only reason you were singled out is because you were the only one who made the comment........."Down with slabs!"

Am I mad at you? No! Do I dislike you? No!

With that said, let's just get on with life and try to help Detecto learn the difference between a problem coin and a problem-free coin.

Chris

16. Cherd

Sounds like a plan friend, no hard feelings. But, I will still be expecting a hugely inappropriate posting next time I start a thread!! :D

If I kept coins in slabs, didn't want to display them, and if they valuable enough to warrent the trouble, then I would most likely just store them stacked in a fire proof safe. Then they would be protected, and I wouldn't have to drive down to the bank to look at them.

17. Lehigh96

I respect you and your opinion. I don't agree with your opinion but if you don't like slabs, that is your prerogative. The fact is that you are not engaging in an ongoing campaign against slab coins and TPGs. If you were, my opposing view would be much more vocal. I took your "down with slabs" comment to be a funny given the context of the previous posts. Heck, even I joined in the fun. Chris just didn't see the humor, no biggie IMO.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

These - http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-pcgsngc-track-box.html

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-anacs-track-box.html

I used these boxes for many years, they are the best thing for slab storage I have ever seen. In years past you couldn't even get them on the open market because ICG had a exclusive deal with Intercept Shield and so only ICG slab boxes came with the IS lining. I found out about them from a dealer friend and used to order them direct from ICG. But now, you can buy them in the stores.

19. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I find it highly revolting and downright rude that you try to slander me with ridiculous and utterly false statements.

"where he could've buffed it out"

The scratch was fingernail deep. You cannot buff that out.

" he cracked it and sold it as problem free."

Where does it say on my listing that the coin is problem free? I do not list anything about a coin, the grade,

Cocky boom, try again.

I do not list a grade, if it's cleaned or problem free, etc. I take clear, high resolution photos of my coins and allow buyers to decide on things for themselves.

20. Cherd

Thanks Man!! :D

I do have a bit of an issue. It's not with slabs themselves, but with the fact that TPGs have a bit of a financial stranglehold on what is supposed to be a Hobby. But I will save that for another thread.

I'd be a bit remiss to insinuate that I am against slabs all together. I'm working on an NGC graded Mexican coin type set, and I do leave those in the slabs.

21. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

The biggest beef I have with slabs, is how easily they scratch.

I had eyeglasses made of a a scratch resistant plastic for the lens. I dropped them several times, carried them in my pocket, and they never scratched.

My cell phone's camera lens is made out of the same stuff. No scratches there.

NGC came out with a "scratch resistant slab" even it holds up poorly.

I gave NGC the idea of using gorilla glass, a very hard to scratch glass, for use on slabbing expensive ($1,000+) coins. They would not even give it a thought.

I also hate that once a coin is slabbed, it jumps the price up quite a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted