How do you store your slabs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCB1983, Jun 21, 2012.

1. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

So basically I have this box I purchased online, a PCGS submission box, and some loose slabs. I'm contemplating doing some wood work and creating something... Possible I don't know with two or three stories and possibly a drawer of slabs. I'm curious as to what you guys store your slabs in?

IMG_2046.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I just have a nice little stack in my SDB

4. Stacks of Blue boxes in the SDB

5. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I store my slabs in ziploc freezer bags which are then kept in my safe deposit box.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Most of mine are kept wrapped in shrink wrap in SDBs. I replaced the PCGS and NGC boxes & just shrink wrap them nowadays. You can fit much more into a SDB this way.

For viewing the remainder, I use Eagle pages (9 slabs per page) in 2-page 1/2" 3-ring binders. This is my favorite method because it provides convenient viewing of both sides. Also when you open the book, you see 18 coins at a glance.

Some sets go into Lighthouse wooden boxes. These are beautiful but they only hold 8 coins per box & they take the same shelf space as a 1/2" 3-ring binder that would hold 18 coins. The down-side of the Lighthouse wooden box is that you need to remove the slab to view the reverse.

Attached Files:

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Just pcgs blue boxes

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Just FYI-

NGC slabs (my personal favorite) do not fit in PCGS blue boxes. I'm working from memory but I believe the PCGS, ICG and PCI slabs would fit in the NGC boxes OK. I'm not certain but I believe that is correct.

Here is a way to put larger medals and 2x2s in a slab box. You just place whatever you have into a 2.5 x 2.5 flip & it will fit in the box.

Attached Files:

11. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I just (today) replaced all my PCGS boxes with NGC boxes, although the vast majority of my slabs are PCGS. For one, the NGC boxes hold both types, as well as a lot of the ghetto slabs. Not sure about ANACS as I don't have one yet but will soon have five. Secondly, the PCGS boxes allow PCGS slabs to contact each other, in the box! Yes, I'm slab anal and like all my slabs to be perfect. I do not wish for them to contact, look at, or otherwise communicate with each other. The NGC boxes do not allow this (at least the contact part).

So at the risk of hijacking this thread, do ANACS slabs fit in the NGC boxes? Perhaps they might fit in the RED OAK! or even the RED OAK!!! boxes as well?

What the difference between RED OAK! and RED OAK!!! ? Is the latter three times as good?

Why won't PCGS or NGC just they cut through the crap and put my coin in a RED OAK! slab? Or for an additional fee, a RED OAK!!! slab?

That's gotta be better than the 'secure' service...

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I use NGC & PCGS storage boxes and Eagle pages, but because I have so many slabs, I even save the shipping boxes from NGC that have the paperboard dividers. Single-wide boxes can hold 20-25 slabs, and double-wide boxes can hold 40-50 slabs.

Chris

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I would love my ancients to be in something like that, but I would be up to my eyeballs with boxes since they only hold twenty and im over 160+ ancients I think.

I agree the PCGS blue boxes blow for NGC slabs as NGC is my favorite slab holder but I got the boxes dirt cheap and majority of my u.s. coin are in Coinworld Self Slabs and they fit fine.

The slabs that done fit period is the OLD ANACS Soap Size Slabs.

ANACS slabs fit in it, the blue and yellow label slabs anyways.

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I crack them out and put them in my Danscos. Freedom.

15. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The ANACS slabs with the blue insert will fit in the NGC box, so I assume that the ANACS slabs with the gold insert will, too. However, the small white ANACS slabs are too small to fit, but I've found that the foam inserts that Eagle uses for the small ANACS slabs for their plastic pages work perfectly in the NGC box.

Chris

Attached Files:

17. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Ahh air... Why did anyone pay to slab that one anyway?

19. WOAH, crack out the barely worth melt Columbian. I am impressed.

20. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Same here.

Draft saved Draft deleted