How do you store your coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cfrenchfci, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's a good idea to take detailed pictures of your coins that you keep in the bank box. You can use these for reference and just about anything else you would be doing with the actual coins. I've been doing this for quite some time and rarely find that I actually need to go have the coin in hand for my purposes.

cfrenchfci likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

Nobody could ever steal MY coins! lol! :cool:

4. Vreneli

Vreneli New Member

If you are doing photos for your insurance, it is a good idea to lay an identity card or passport next to your coins, so in the event of loss or theft you can assure that those coins have been in your possession.

5. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Lots of great responses. I hadn't even thought about taking pics. My wife is a photographer so I'm sure she has a lens that would be great for up close detail pics of coins. I'll just have to get her to teach me how to take good ones. Haha.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. TexasGrebe

TexasGrebe New Member

I keep a Gloch in a bed holster, my tactical in the front room grandfather Clock cabinet, and a 357 on top of the fridg. I also have permit to carry and a safe in front seat of car with a 38 in it . I keep coin in my gun safe anchored to floor in the safe room . But no one know of this but my wife and my gun collecting Son who lives in home behind me and has also build a safe room against tornados.
    God I love Texas !

Mainebill, TX15FX4 and Vreneli like this.
  7. Vreneli

Vreneli New Member

I know people here that do the same, with the difference that they fully rely on one weapon. The assault rifle the military gave them after serving as conscripts. (SIG550 or Stgw90) You see Texas and Switzerland have a lot in common, maybe there arent so many armed thugs out there in my country, but you never know. Always stay prepared! ;-)

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

There is no one proper way to store coins. High end material needs to be handled fundamentally differently from lower end pieces. Copper needs a different treatment from silver or gold. Slabs are a good start but not sufficient by themselves. Coins change inside slabs more than many people realize.

Question: Does the rule "buy the coin, not the holder" really apply to 1940's-1950's double mint set coins? If so, why does a fully slabbed (NGC) 1956 double mint set sell for 1/4 the price of the same coins in the original paper? [Based on results of the Stacks Bowers Baltimore Whitman sale.]

I bought the whole set, with the Highland Collection provenance, for $122, including all fees and shipping, all the coins with classic double mint set toning.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Bet you got a BIG gun for those Moose? LOL.

Mainebill likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

To be honest, I don't even trust bank safe deposit boxes. Granted, the likelihood of your bank being broken into is slim, but no bank guarantees any replacement of anything lost from them. And forbid it happens, if there were a major crisis involving a National bank closer, you would not have access to your possessions, not to mention the Federal Government could legally confiscate any gold or silver if they decided to do so. If you use a safe deposit box it would be wise to have your collection appraised independently and get a rider on your home owners insurance policy to cover them. There are also private insurance companies that will do this, but once again the coins need to be appraised. I'm not trying to concoct a disaster scenario here, but anything is possible and you need to cover all angles to be sure.

11. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

NEVER tell anyone as a couple beers make tongues wag and result in a B&E infection. Lock them in a well hidden strongbox bolted to the floor to keep the hit-run boys out long enough for you to follow Joe Biden's advice about a double barrel shottygun....

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You can also use a flat bed scanner to get high resolution
    photos. After that, transfer them to a CD, even a couple of them, keep one at home and the other in another safe place to refer back to just in case. Just make sure the scanner bed is free of any dirt, dust, etc., so it does not transfer to the finished image. No camera lessons that way.:D:D:D

13. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

You can also get air tight coin tubes that will keep your coins from turning. Silver coins that are not kept in an airtight container will eventually turn grey or even black. I've seen Cents turn green and Steel Cents rust from the dampness. I would suggest you keep your coins in a cool dry place. Safe deposit boxes at banks are nice.
    Some people do keep their collections at home but don't tell anyone. Loose lips can sink ships.

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

The safest safe is one that can not be seen ....

Mainebill likes this.
  15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Agree on the safe. I have one so far will probably add a much larger built in one soon. And likely a really hidden one. I also have antique furniture that has hidden compartments that can be handy to hide coins keys money etc too. And I have the skills to add the same in places in my house I also have multiple rifles both semi auto bolt action. Lever action etc. several shotguns. And multiple handguns. My preferred carry is my p 228 sig sauer

16. Vreneli

Vreneli New Member

In the event of moisture in your deposit box, just throw some salt bags in it. Those you get when you buy shoes, if you ask nicely the shoe store will give you two handful of those for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted