How do you store your coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cfrenchfci, Nov 29, 2015.

1. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

I'm just getting started. I have probably somewhere around 100 Morgan/peace dollars that my grand parents/parents collected over the years. They're all common dates and circulated, so I don't have anything super valuable. I'm curious how you guys keep your collection safe? I have a safe deposit box, but what's the fun of collecting something if I can't look at it when I want?

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I would say in AirTite Exact Fit, then get a nice AirTite book to put them in. Or just in archival flips.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Thanks for the info. Do you typically think it's safe to keep a collection in your house?

5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I wouldn't keep it in the kitchen or laundry room or basement... moisture and drastic changes in heat are the enemy. Consider investing in some desiccant packages to keep near the coins.

6. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Awesome. Thank you!

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You can send them to me, I'll keep them safe for you.:cool::cool::cool:

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Whether or not you keep your coins at your residence probably depends a lot on your security and how safe you consider your area. It's a risk that needs to be evaluated.

swamp yankee, dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can keep it in your house, but it isn't too smart to talk about your collection to anyone, even your closest friends. I'm not suggesting that your best friends are untrustworthy, but you can't control who they may tell. You know......one person tells two, two tell four, etc., etc., etc. Sooner or later the info may fall into the hands of the wrong person.

Chris

10. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Try going to the coin shop and buying some silver dollar tubes. They hold 20 coins each and are perfectly safe. They should be square and milky.

dwhiz and cfrenchfci like this.
  11. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

I keep my coins in air tites and in my gun safe.

dwhiz likes this.
  12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

If you plan on keeping your coins in the house, hide them very well. Theft by a burglar or even a "friend" or relative is the biggest danger. Do not put your coins in a bedroom closet or drawer, those are the first places thieves look.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm a big fan of keeping the cool stuff in the bank box and just a few things in the house. I'm a security nut at the house but if it fails, I can't loose much.

14. FOX85

FOX85 Member

The stuff I want to look at I use airtight. Other extra silver dollars I put in some old Canadian maple leaf tubes since they use the same airtight size they fit well in the tubes. I also have coinsafe and koin tubes but theres nothing like a silver eagle or maple leaf tube.

Another thing if you keep them at your house spread them out, don't put everything in one place, that way if something unfortunate happens you may not lose your entire collection just a piece of it.

serafino likes this.
  15. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Two LARGE safe deposit boxes.

16. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

17. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I put my raw silver in acrylic 2 by 2 flaps and store them in the refrigerator ..

I also have 3 pistols too ......
    One in the family room, another is in the bedroom, and the last one is in the bathroom .....

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You must take some wicked BM's!!!

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

In my safe. And I'm well armed

coinzip likes this.
  21. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital