how do you spot fake Trade Dollars, anyway?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Too bad , but it's the reason why they say to buy the book before the coin , or at least learn about the series . Too bad that we're still waiting for a good book on TDs , one is supposed to be out soon. Still there is a wealth of info on Trade dollars in the forums especially here and NGCs . Diehard the reason some Die marriages which are rare cost the same as common ones is that not many collect TDs by Die marriages . I have a feeling this is going to change , hopefully when that new definitive book comes out .

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Mainebill likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

I am not so sure about that, Trade dollars are expensive enough just doing the set with a couple of the top varieties (75 s/cc. & 76cc DDR and maybe a 78s DDR if they are froggy). The random varieties are often too rare and minor and the hub type set is very hard to complete even in lower grade. Some coins just don't come up more than once every couple of years

73cc wide cc 1.2
    76s DDO
    77s 801
    75p type 1/1 BS
    76p type 1.5 BS

I think the same amount of people will collect trades with Joe's book as they do without. Maybe a few of those will try for a complete set.

rzage likes this.
  4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Do you know when his book will be out , I've been waiting and looking forward to it .

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm looking forward to it too. I'm just trying to get the dates and mm first a basic registry set. But with all the collectable proofs and original skin and hopefully attrCtive color. I'll probably try to get all the type 1&2 obverse and reverse marriages for each date too tho I expect it'll take at least 4-5 years with my budget and pickiness just to complete it by date

rzage likes this.
  6. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

I agree that the TDs are quite an interesting numismatic "sidebar." I too look forward to the book you refer to.

7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I am planning to buy my first trade dollar soon. With all the warnings of fakes, rest assured it will be slabbed and graded. But I would love to see the book before venturing forward.

9. Mainebill

10. Santinidollar

Wow. That is a fairly well known dealer on the Gulf Coast

11. ksparrow

If you only look at the devices you can be fooled. It's not a terrible fake, but you need look no further than 2mm in from the outer edge to out it. I imagine it has the correct weight. Hopefully the buyer will send it in for grading or have it (un)authenticated and be able to get their money back.

12. Santinidollar

I haven't studied trade dollars. What am I looking for?

13. ksparrow

Look at the dentils under the 8 of the date; there is a hole with a blob of metal in the center; a classic tell of a cast fake. Look at the dentils, they are weak to non existent in many places on both sides. On the reverse, the dentils are weak in many places and the rim is much too narrow. Look at the notch in the R of TRADE, the heavy reworking under the right "armpit" of the eagle, the raised bump on the O in OF. The seller did not show a photo of the reeded edge but you can bet it's a mess. Quite a few of the letters and numbers have a rounded or puffy look to them, on a real coin they are squared off and flat on top.
    Hope that helps.

Mainebill likes this.
  14. Santinidollar

Many thanks! I spotted the hole but I learned a lot more with your post.

15. Mainebill

Yeah the hole. The dentils are soft and uneven and the overall detail not as crisp as it should be

16. Southernole

Southernole New Member

I highly suspect this is fake I would just like one of you to confirm if you don't mind.

Attached Files:

17. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

My thanks to all who contributed to this page (post). I love T$ as perhaps the most historical of US coins. Think about it, the US was such young country and this coin was accepted any where it showed up.

18. ksparrow

Southernole, that is definitely a fake.

wmichael, I share your sentiments.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@Colonialjohn

I should like to add some ideas/characteristics about fake trade Dollars to your book also.

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Check out the Gobrecht Journal Issue#61 and #63 if I remember. An article is coming out this week in NN and CW

rzage likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Easy:

Look for the P mintmark!

P= Peking

Draft saved Draft deleted