how do you spot fake Trade Dollars, anyway?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Aug 1, 2009.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

The price was worth the gamble. It's a hole I've wanted to fill without breaking the bank. These are rather pricy especially when bought at dealer prices. That's not a knock on dealers, just a reality of market prices. When the right opportunity presents itself i'll pick up a better example. The next coin on the list of holes is the silver 3 cent piece. They often fall into the same category as the TD. Most often they are cleaned and can get expensive for higher grade coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Or smells like ginseng.

4. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

thank you for sharing such a depth of information...and thank you for spending so much time in preparation and posting...

Insider likes this.
  5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

When I started collecting I bought several bright shiny trade dollars. If I were looking for a common date coin for type, I would wait for one with unmolested surfaces in XF at least, 77-s or 78-s. To each his own. As far as making statements about authenticity, I like to think in terms of probability . Unless I have the coin in front of me I can't be 100% sure, ever. With the current coin I think 95% chance of being genuine, which is why I proclaimed "real!" There are a number of fake trades in top tier holders, some are that good.

Mainebill likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

X2

7. Mainebill

If the money was right you can always upgrade at a later date. Now silver trimes I wouldn't consider expensive. I see them in circulated original condition in the $20 range

8. USS656

Looking more in the AU condition unmolested and those seem to be in the $150 to $350 range on the bay. May be going to a larger local show (PAN) so I will scout them out and see what dealer prices run.

ksparrow - I am luck if I make it to one show a year so I do not get to see too many coins in hand. Every time I have seen what looks close enough to a unmolested trade dollar the price has been in the hundreds. Again, I will get the rare opportunity this weekend to see what local dealers have.

9. Mainebill

I'd try ha or stacks. I see them in au between $100-150 sometimes for a real nice one. Missed a great toned au-58 at $145 last winter just forgot to watch it and got outbid at the last Second. I could keep my eye out at the coin shows if you want too

10. USS656

By all means if you see a nice one please let me know. I will see how it goes this weekend at PAN. I am really interested to see the TD's offered at this show and how many are raw ~ condition and price of those. Should be fun!

11. Mainebill

It can be. I saw a nice original xf 77 trade raw a couple months ago one of the wholesale dealers I do a lot of business with had for $175. He got my money on a real nice 1803 bust half that's a strong 45 could go au 50 tho. That's at pcgs now. I been too busy the last 2 months to go to any shows but I might hit Westford on Sunday and I'm doing Manchester nh in 3 weeks

12. USS656

I won this one at $130 so an XF @ $175 in original condition would have had me interested. GL at the shows

Mainebill likes this.
  13. ksparrow

Happy hunting you guys!

14. Garry Martin

Garry Martin New Member

Hello CT world. This is my first post. I have been following the forum for about 6 months and have really appreciated the awesome insights of everyone on here. This forum has brought me back to coins. I have been collecting for the better part of 4 decades and when this thread came across it really started to make me wonder about a purchase over 15 years ago. I purchased this T$ knowing it had been cleaned. My question to the group is, real or fake? Secondly, if real, what type of grade would this net?

. slice 100.JPG slice 101.JPG

thank you,

15. Mainebill

Absolutely real. Just harshly cleaned. An au 50 details. And a nailed strike on it. Something you'll never see on a fake

16. Mainebill

All diagnostics on your trade are genuine. No casting marks cause it's struck. A type 2 obverse and reverse. Genuine wear and bag marks. All details very crisp and not mushy. Totally flat clean fields And perfectly formed regular denticles. And pics good enough that I can actually see the details to guarantee this one is right.

17. Garry Martin

Garry Martin New Member

Thank you Mainbill, i appreciate your opinion. And thanks for the awesome post.

Mainebill likes this.
  18. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

19. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

I wouldn't write off a trade dollar if it's way below weight, as it could be hollowed out - the opium dollar (often really a locket with a picture inside). If all looks well but the weight, look for scratch marks or discoloration where the coin would be opened.

20. ksparrow

The 1877 S is genuine, but cleaned or polished. Looks nearly uncirculated details wise.

rzage likes this.
  21. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree the "77-S looks genuine just polished .

Draft saved Draft deleted