How do you ship a roll of coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by xlrcable, Dec 14, 2014.

1. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I may be needing to ship a roll of uncirculated (but not especially nice) Ike dollars, and I have no idea how people actually go about shipping rolls. I guess "roll" might just be a shorthand way of designating 50 cents or 40 nickels, etc, which could be placed in individual 2x2s and boxed up. But assuming it's sometimes acceptable to ship a roll literally as a roll, what is preferred? Paper tubes? Plastic? The Ikes in question are in a square plastic tube with plenty of room to rattle around in transit, which seems potentially destructive. Would it help to put a packing peanut on top of the stack and then mash the lid down? Something else?

Silly question I know, it just never came up before.

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've shipped and received actual rolls before. Just make sure they secure and if you're going to use tape and it's a bank wrapped roll, please put some paper on the ends before taping them. I've had someone tape the ends and the luster came right off the end coins when I removed it. Packing peanuts or crumpled up newspaper, either will do just fine. I'd avoid tubes because they rattle. 2x2s work just fine, but that's a bit of work and if your staples aren't flattened, they could scratch the coins. Bottom line, send the roll as a roll and make sure it's secured properly. If you're not sending UNC coins, it won't be an issue.

tommyc03 and swamp yankee like this.
  4. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

1/2 a packing peanut on each end of the tube, or mabe cotton balls. Bubble wrap the tube into a small USPS Priority box, seal the box edges with quality shipping tape.

5. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will help you or not.

The most I've shipped is two rolls of nickels.

I've shipped them in a padded envelop. Flat rate shipping can be expensive, that is of course if what you have is more weight prohibitive, then flat rate shipping may be better. I've made sure the rolls are secured at both ends and then bubble wrapped the roll itself and then placed it in the padded shipping envelope.

This link has a few directions and a link to the Secret PayPal Shipping Labels & Stamps off-eBay Mailing. Its the same dialogue you would use if you printed your shipping labels off of ebay so you get the shipping discounts I believe. This is what I use if I sell outside of ebay. You have to have a papal id to log in with to use it.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Secret-PayP...ps-off-eBay-Mailing-/10000000007215096/g.html

Here is a pic of the padded envelopes I use. Its pretty sturdy, thick and has a bubble wrap lined inside.

[​IMG]

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But what if I'm Protestant? ;)

Seriously, that is my favorite way to ship now, but for some reason I've had trouble turning it into a bookmark that works. I'll have to take another swing at it.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I have shipped many rolls of Eisenhower Dollars. Each Roll weighs a full pound. As such, priority mail is my primary method although other methods could be used.

I always ship the coins in a square tube with a packing peanut stuffed into the end with the tube being fully taped shut.

The tube then gets wrapped in bubble wrap with packing peanuts to take of the slack. Sometimes, I've even taped the roll directly to the box.

With such a heavy item, paper rolls easily break open and spill the coins out. Even wrapped in bubble wrap, its possible to break the paper roll.

My method of shipping Flat Rate Priority mail has never failed and I always let the buyers know that these coins can be expensive to mail.

I HAVE received busted open paper rolls. I HAVE received busted open clear plastic tubes. I've received "empty" cardboard Priority Mail envelopes from dumb sellers. I have received full 1000 coin bags in busted up Large Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes.

The point being, these are large, heavy coins and packages need to be completely taped up with strong reinforced packing tape. As such, shipping them in square tubes is the only option I ever consider.

tommyc03 and swamp yankee like this.
  8. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I used that link twice yesterday (and many times prior) and yesterday I didn't get any discount (at least it didn't show one). I could have sworn that I used to see a discount. Wondering if something changed recently?

9. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Interesting @Rassi...yea last time I used it i got the little message that I saved 25 cents or something like that...i wonder if its changed since PayPal and Ebay are splitting?

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Also too, because items such as these are heavy, be sure to check the box emblem on the bottom of the box and make sure the container is rated at or exceeds the weight you're shipping. In other words, don't put fifty pounds of cargo into a container that's only rated to carry twenty five pounds........

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

But...but....Priority Mail is anything that fits in the box UPTO 70 lbs?

Reinforced Packing Tape. That's the trick! Cover the ENTIRE Box with Packing Tape.

12. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Thanks everybody!

Draft saved Draft deleted