How do you price holed coins?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mr. Numismatist, May 24, 2023.

1. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I'm thinking it depends how large the hole is and where it's located. How much is this 20 cent piece worth?
    IMG_3178.JPG IMG_3179.JPG

MIGuy and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's an altered coin. Takes away from the true value :yack:

No Hole - $352.00 but with the hole I would say less than $30.00
    IMHO

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Cheech9712 and eddiespin like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't think there's any hole price guide, so how would we know? It's VG Details, that we can tell you. I like the roundness of it. Some holes I've seen are irregular. I'd personally pay less if it took out the portrait's head or was like as big as a dime or something like that.

Cheech9712, MIGuy and PlanoSteve like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Price coins with holes? Sorry but I don’t buy them as I have no interest in them.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is no price guide for coins such as this. Some folks collect them. Wild guess $25 if you can find a buyer.
    This guy can probably help. @lordmarcovan

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

For someone who REALLY wants a 20 center, you could possibly get $50

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

My guess is $55-60 to the right buyer.

Popular types sell even with problems (at a properly discounted price). This is a popular type.

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Ebay is probably your best bet.Look through the sold listings for the same exact coin type but with a hole or (holes) and you should be able to get a price estimate.

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  10. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

depends on the coin honestly... yours being a 20 cent piece and damn hard to come by in any grade, you might realize 1/4 to 1/2 list price vs an undamaged coin anything more common 10-20% list is about the best you can hope for with a hole... (the exception to this is gold and silver never sell for much under melt value holes or no holes)

Cheech9712, -jeffB and Omegaraptor like this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Steven Musil has ads in Numismatic News all the time. You should see the prices he gets for damaged coins like this. And more of his stock is damaged than not but he's still going strong after decades. So there is a market for them.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

These days with coin collectors being so programmed turn away from anything deemed a "problem", even a desired coin like a twenty cent piece will not hold much value at all holed.... Now I have built a fine collection of desirable coins deemed problematic on a very humble working mans budget. I have no problem appreciating a problem coin.... However, in today's world, that piece would be lucky to fetch $30.00 to $50.00. But someone out there will appreciate the opportunity to own a twenty cent coin on a budget.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll take all the holed seated and bust dollars you have at 2X melt :)

Jeffjay, MIGuy, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Many years ago I bought an 1806 half dollar with a hole for $6.50. The sharpness grade was EF with original surfaces and good color. About 6 years later, I sold for $25. That was a good return on investment.

Every old genuine coin has a value. The trouble is you have to buy it cheap, and many times that’s hard if the coin is scarce but damaged.

15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice Coin! @Mr. Numismatist
    I'd buy it for a 20 spot. ;)
    Love holed coins! Welcome to the "holey" club.
    holedcoins.jpg

Jeffjay, tommyc03, Heavymetal and 5 others like this.
  16. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Given what's going on eBay I'd estimate $70-120, just depending on your luck with the auction. The 1875 S is the most common of the 20 Cent pieces, but still uncommon and rare enough to attract decent interest in that condition.

-jeffB likes this.
  17. johnmilton

Prices certainly changed since I was a young collector who was considering something like this. You could have had it for about $5 or less back then if the dealer had put it in his inventory at all. Usually it would have been a junk box item.

There might be other issues. It’s been cleaned above the eagle’s head, and hole goes into the date. Right now it’s not worth enough to repair, but if that day ever comes, the repair guys usually don’t want to restore places around the date area.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Personally, i don't. Some people like holed coins, and if that floats their boat then more power to them. Not me, I won't own one. It's some kind of psychological thing i guess.

19. johnmilton

Some years ago, a group of collectors I was with were talking about the worst thing that could be wrong with a genuine coin. The consensus was holed.

I bought my first Twenty Cent Piece in 1963. It would grade VF-30 today and had no problems. The full retail price from Gimbels coin department in New York City was $20. The most expensive coin I bought that day was a 1908-S Indian Cent in what they called "VG to Fine." Sadly it would grade VF today. The price was $35.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I understand but I’m just not into coins with holes.

21. johnmilton

I understand that. I don’t want them either, but when I bought that holed 1806 half dollar, it was what I could afford when I was in high school.

I remember one of the coin magazines had a picture of a 1797 Bust Dollar with a nasty uneven hole in it. The article claimed that it would only sell for $15. :jawdrop: Back then I would have paid that. I was always drawn to the early U.S. coins.

The point of the article was that the coin was worth a few hundred after it is was well repaired.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted