How do you present your photos.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Dec 16, 2019.

?

Have you ever bought a coin that was not represented well in a listing?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

11.1%
  3. I sell them

11.1%
  1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Again, I've done a quick search with no hits on this topic. I apologize if this has been discussed. So how do you present your coin photos in the digiworld? I've been concerned with the unrealistic images of proofs in particular. this goes for PCGS real view. I'll talk less and represent my issue with some images. I am just going to put this in your head first, ".gif "
    191216_161135.jpg 191216_161145.jpg

GSDykes likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Most of us aren't professional photographers. It depends on the equipment one is using. Fortunately or unfortunately, photos can easily be manipulated. Buyer/viewer beware.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I only have my cell phone camera. It takes time and practice to get decent pictures. Sometimes no matter what one does you just can't get good photos.

If the coin is not represented for what it is in the listing just return it.

longshot, bruthajoe and Islander80-83 like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I still use my iPhone 6S and I get great results. I just focus as close as I can and crop the remainder. Resolution isn't spectacular, but my purpose is not to produce pictures that you can blow up microscope-style.

I'll definitely angle the light and object itself to get the most desired image. I will sometimes edit, mainly to even out white and dark balance. Sometimes boost contrast if necessary. I try to represent my coins as generally realistic as possible, if a little "nicer" than most angles.

bruthajoe likes this.
  6. bruthajoe

Multiple photos with different angels would be Ideal. I see little of that. A small GIF. file could show luster and cartwheel better. One of the Trusted members had asked me if I could represent CW effect and I found it very difficult if not impossible. I was not given feedback on my attempt.

7. bruthajoe

I think the second image I posted is a more honest angle, as opposed to how most proofs are represented. Again even PCGS does this.

8. bruthajoe

Of course, but it shouldn't be unreasonable to request more photos before you dedicate to the frustration. More angles or better yet a video or .GIF?

9. bruthajoe

I admit I have a bit of a photography bug. I don't expect everyone's photos to look like this...
    But a little more honest maybe?

Attached Files:

RonSanderson likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm sure you will get many different opinions on this subject, so I think you might want to get yourself a book by one of the better numismatic photographers in the business.

Numismatic-Photography.jpg

Chris

jafo50 likes this.
  11. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I think this is a beautiful photo! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

FB_IMG_1575635215031.jpg

dwhiz, serafino, Rassi and 4 others like this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

13. bruthajoe

Thanks. It got second place in a macro challenge at dpreview. It's a stacked macro image. Requires several images at different focal lengths + software to combine them.

Attached Files:

Islander80-83 likes this.
  14. bruthajoe

Well I was replying to somebody that inferred professional photography. You are making my point. Different angles are more important with different light sources.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Absolutely, but being able to evaluate a coin is best with a perpendicular shot.

bruthajoe and cpm9ball like this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I suspect it's what you meant but I'd say it differently. Different angles, and the light at different angles as well as the right kind of light, but with only 1 light source. (Not meaning only 1 light, 2 or 3 lights is ideal, but there should be no other light in the room from any source - except that from the lights you're using to take pics with.)

Now a lot of folks don't understand what I mean, and what you are apparently aware of, when I say different angles make all the difference in the world - even tiny changes in the angles.

I've posted these pics many times before, but seeing as you brought it up I'm gonna post them again.

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv 1.jpg 1911_Proof_half_crown_rev 1.jpg

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv.jpg 1911_Proof_half_crown_rev.jpg

Both sets of pictures are the exact same coin. The only difference, the only change made, was to change the angle of the light about a 1/4 of an inch. But look at what a drastic difference it made in the pictures.

bruthajoe likes this.
  17. bruthajoe

I agree but! It greatly depends on the angle of the light also. Note the black field of the first image, indicating a mirror like finish. This is how most proofs are portrayed. Now look at the second photo. The light source has been lowered to illuminate the field. I think this is a more honest representation.

18. bruthajoe

Yes! Another perfect example. What a difference!

19. bruthajoe

That coin is gorgeous.

20. bruthajoe

Anyway, now that we've cleared up the topic of how a coin could be perceived with different angles of light in still photos, let's get on to the solution. What is the first thing you do when you are examining a coin? You rotate it. This is how you get different angles of light and different perspectives of the coin.
    Maybe it's time to start becoming more .GIF capable. I think a low Res. .GIF could give a more realistic impression than a few high Res JPEGs.

21. bruthajoe

Draft saved Draft deleted