How Do you open this??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ambrola, Apr 4, 2010.

1. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

I understand dude. Just be glad you didn't ask how to clean a coin. Simple answers are difficult here. Most info is laced with uppity fever. Don't take offense to it though. There is some good info here...you just have to put up with the judgemental royality factor. Don't let it get to you. Just take the two sentences you can find in a post that will occassionally answer your question and roll on. Remember that most offer opinions. but don't always line up with the facts. Just the facts? Impossible. Anyways..
    As to your actual question.
    Wire snippers work best if you're not wanting to keep the enclosure. If you are looking to keep it, maybe a thin razor around the edges, small jeweler's screwdrivers or the like to pry it open.

When you want to know what time it is...just ask here and you'll get the price of tea in China. Good day dude. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Fortunately this forum seems to suffer less from this annoyance and the posters who are like that, than some of the other forums that are out there!

When it does appear, just hold your nose, grin, and bear it. The good info can be separated from the chaff :smile.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - some people get fired up even if you want clean a modern coin worth face value. The same with a slabbed coin. As far as I am concerned - you own them, you get to do want you want. The two I just recently cracked out I used smaller snips to get at a corner, then I slowly worked the slabs a part with a screw driver. Then into my dansco album they went. Of course wear safety glasses - none have ever come apart for me as neatly as the video.

I collect both ways - I have eagle albums for my slabbed collection and dansco albums for Bust halves, half cents and large cents. Personally I like the dansco albums, but the IHC's need to stay in the slabs. All the rest I kept in air tights.

Enjoy!!!

5. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

EDITED - We don't make rude comments to other members.

6. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Yes, yes...Please move on with the rest of the riff raff. How dare you ask such a question. :rolleyes:

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nothing like being uninformed and opinionated, is there Tom?:confused:

8. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

I'll defer to your experience there Bud. :kewl:

9. CheetahCats

This post seems to have digressed, all over a simple question about how to crack open a slab.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

It's not the question that is the problem Tom. It's his response after people took their time to try to help him.

"Originally Posted by Ambrola
    Welll, it seems that nobody knows and i am wasting my time on this board."

That is unwarranted from anyone. There was no attitude til he posted that. I guess we didn't give him the response he wanted and not quick enough either as only 3 people responded before that remark in just under 14 min. So I think it was us that wasted our time on his post IMO.

11. CheetahCats

3 folks responding within 14 minutes is a very good response rate. Good point Duke.

12. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Well correct me if I misread what I thought I read. Nobody tried to answer his question prior to his "attitude" post I don't believe. Rather..."I wouldn't" versus an answer...no? You may deem that as help by offering oyur opinion rather than answering the question, but some would deem that as kinda annoying. I know when I asked my first question here, first thing I got were opinions of what not to do instead of simply answering the question.

If someone asks what's the best way to treat a headache with and the response is "Why?"...well...might contribute to the headache, hence, attitude. Least that's the way I see it.

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

My point is his post looked as he did not know what he had and they were just looking to help him from possibly loosing money.
    But more importantly it was just 14 minutes of waiting for the response that he wanted.

If he was that impatient he could have just looked up youtube or something but to leave a comment in a thread he was asking for help is just rude.

14. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Sure there was response. But even after the guy reinterated he wanted to know anyway, the first of "smart remarks" came along. He was impatient..granted...but not the first to offer attitude. That would be the responders. The man asked a simple question. Instead he got put down. Go figure.

15. CheetahCats

A little humor... maybe someone should post a topic about using Tarn-X to clean a few cents. Post a few photos illustrating the 'dipping' technique, and use a few older wheaties just for good measure :eek:... watch folks have convulsions...:bigeyes:

just kidding of course! :smile

16. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

LOL...yeah that oughta be good for several hundred responses. Oh umm..is there something wrong with Tarn-x? :bigeyes:

17. dukester

dukester Junior Member

slabs and toning

This thread has been a wild ride. Slabs , as I've been told, will help coins from toning. I have also heard that coins eventually tone. I have never seen a toned coined except in pictures. WHY IS THAT? Seriously, how can I drag/march my way through life and never see a toned coin? It should not be possible unless, of course, people who find them, hoard them. But then I should have in my considerable years, have my own hoard because I would really love to have one, which is the big opening for someone to say, "If you want one so badly why don't you buy one", which an excellent idea, I think I will buy one. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
    Gerry

18. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Look at all the OPs posts. He's done nothing but post "what's it worth" "pump up my ego" and "help me". I didn't see a single "thanks".

19. Ambrola

Ambrola Junior Member

I will be the first person on this board to go out of my way to help, thank or anything else I can do for anyone. There are some on this board that knows what I say is true. I didn't intend to get an argument started, but I think sometimes the guys that have been collecting coins for many years forget about the new guy? I have seen it in the Car clubs, Tractor clubs and other antique clubs. Why would you run off a potential new collector who ask dumb questions? I ask because I honestly don't know?
    Anyway, please forgive my bad attitude, some of the post just hit me the wrong way. This all started because I thought the slabs were made to open, and now I know they are not. Simple answer would have stopped all this. Now, I think I will look for another stupid question to ask?
    Just kidding!!!

20. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

Its all good brother. Welcome to CT ( or belated welcome sense you've been around a little while) I here you about slabs though. I buy them when I see a coin I want online, or when i'm at a dealer that seems sketchy. I also like you then brake them open and pull my coins out because I like raw coins. If you search for PCGS in youtube their is a video that shows the whole selection process in detail. (BTW as a software salesmen I think their system sux). I personally get the most enjoyment out of little hack saws. Even though one day i'm going to use a chop saw just for the fun of it :) If it can cut rebar it can cut a slab.

21. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Just don't ask anyone on this thread to break a lock, cut a wire, or trim a piece of tile! (in that order!)

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted