How Do you open this??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ambrola, Apr 4, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

You bet! :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

Get a set of morgan dies from china, Put it in the microwave, melt the coin and pour it out of the slab and into the die, voila! A new Morgan!

4. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Member

The few times I have removed a coin from a slab I have used metal snips, like for cutting ductwork and thin galvanized steel sheet stock. I just cut all the way around the edge of the slab inside the seal. Do it over a soft towel to protect the coin should it fall.

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

lmao

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, you'd be way better off buying an album with pages that hold slabs. Unless you're using an Intercept Shield album, your album will not keep them from toning.

There are millions of counterfeit Morgans out there now. China is producing more every day. Many people don't even feel comfortable purchasing a loose Morgan anymore. So I can't say cracking a Morgan out of an OGH is a wise move for future value. I've cracked stuff out before but it all depends on what it is. I'd never crack a Morgan out.

7. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'm with the others and don't remeove it. It could be harmed being put in your book but it's your coin.

As for your attitude :p

I see you have been given a few links. It's not hard and a simple search would do here or on youtube.
    Good luck and let us know how it went.

8. Ambrola

Ambrola Junior Member

Get a set of morgan dies from china, Put it in the microwave, melt the coin and pour it out of the slab and into the die, voila! A new Morgan!

This kind of thing may seem funny to you guys that have been collecting a long time, but to me, it is no answer to my question, only a smart a__ remark! I ask because I don't know. I always keep my mouth shout when I have nothing good to say and I wish others were that way. But in this world of electronics, people will and do alot of things they would not do to my face! I buy raw coins and slabbed coins. If I were to purchase an expencive coin, it would be verified. But I most likely would want to remove it from the slab. I now understand that they are not intended to be removed once they are in the slab. I just thought there was a simple way to open them. Thats all I wanted to know? I like to hold the coin in my hand, look at it without looking through plastic. If I have the books, I put them in. Simple, but some people just can't help it!!

9. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Part of the hobby is to preserve numismatic items for our great-great-great-great-grandkids, and their great-great-great-great-grandkids.

Any holder or album (not folder) can help keep grubby little fingers off the coins, but a slab can't be easily opened and protects the coin very well.

10. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Not long ago, I asked here why someone would crack them open in the first place. The majority of the responses in my thread was defending the reason people crack them open.

The way PCGS has been fooling around, I'm tempted to crack open all my slabs, just so they won't get tarnished :) by their recent reputation.

I've sold slabbed coins to dealers before. They look at it, then say something like "I don't care if the slab says it's a MS-63, it's only an AU." Then they offer you a price that you know it's not worth.
    The slab is good for protection, but the condition the slab says the coin is in will not guarantee you that you will get what it's worth when you try to sell it.

11. se-collectibles

Any dealer that does that doesn't get my business if I agree with the grade of a PCGS/NGC/ANACS/ICG slab. Just because they call themselves a coin dealer doesn't mean they know how to grade, and many don't.

12. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

The simple fact that most slabbed coins survived unharmed for 100-200 years before slabs were ever thought of says that the perceived thought that they are the standard in protection is boloney.
    Guy~

13. crack it with a bolt cutter in the middle of the edge of the slab if you scratch the coin that's your problem for cracking it out

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Just because many "survived" doesn't mean that there is no need for better protection.
    Think of what we would have still here if 100 years ago we had TPG'ing plactic to protect them.

15. se-collectibles

I don't recall anybody saying they are "the standard".

The fact is, they provide better protection than any other holder I can think of. Of course, I don't know everything.

But I do know a lot.

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'm not arguing that they aren't decent protection. I myself have never cracked one out. What I'm saying is that people tend to use the excuse that the slab is provided for protection above all else. Proper preservation beats anything a slab could accomplish.
    Guy~

17. se-collectibles

Yup. And a slab helps keep it that way!

18. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean completely. I love holding raw coins too, free from their cumbersome slabs. Two or three years ago I didn't even own any slabbed coins. So I know exactly where you're coming from. Folks around here like to kid around sometimes though, and they usually don't mean any harm by it.

19. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Ambrola,

I am in total agreement with the other folks - I don't recommend you cutting these out of the slabs.

Someone else forked out the bucks for them to be slabbed, and IMO the PCGS grades do give them a "commodity" status.

In the past, when I have taken coins out of [non-PCGS] slabs, I used a $5.99 hacksaw from the hardware store... I carefully cut around the perimeter of the slab plastic.

Good luck to ya.

20. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I totally concur. I've met quite a few dealers that have no clue about how to grade.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Hi Ambrola. Just sent you a PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted