How do you manage records, documentation, notes, etc

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Stork, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Please add me to the list of beta testers. :)

Archilochus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I too would love to try it out! I'm a front end dev and UX designer, so would be willing to help out on it as well!

Deacon Ray and Archilochus like this.
  4. MacStexas

MacStexas New Member

Some good ideas here. You guys are really organized.

5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Welcome to the forum, @Archilochus ! I'd like to see your website when it's ready!

Archilochus likes this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I admire your efforts, @Stork ! I'm not very organized, I'm afraid.

busybox.jpg

Theodosius, dlhill132, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  7. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Ha! That's kind of what I have -- a few boxes with assorted flips. BUT, my receipts are scattered and I do have a couple in slabs (I know, I know, they should be liberated...but I won't do that until I'm organized).

I suppose an update is due. I gave myself a week (I'm off work) to figure it out, and so I have. I think.

I REALLY appreciate all the comments (and pms/emails) that gave me an idea of how I want to be able to track and sort information, and what information to include. The spreadsheet examples were super helpful too.

But I've taken about 90 tangents and scrolled through tons of threads either related or semi-related (or just popped up on my random search results).

OH, and the software and documenting. Well, I have a MacBook so I limited myself to the programs that are Mac friendly. Debated between a basic spreadsheet vs. a database type program. Looked at Numbers, Open Office, Google Sheet and of course Excel. I figured the learning curve was a bit much for what I wanted and it would get pretty unwieldy in a hurry with so many fields it would be an awful lot of scrolling and just not be visually pleasing. I also want to include my photos and documents and figured this could bog everything down.

So I went with looking at some gentler and kinder database programs (not you Filemaker or Access...I'm no fancy programmer and I'm not running a big business).

The Exact Change program looked really nice for generating reports, labels, and perfect for the US, world, and bullion collector. Mac or PC. Can't remember if it has an app, but I don't think so. Can easily make a check list of 'want' coins from a saved collection. They have pictures if you don't. Links to Krause, and can add KM#s, diameters, weights, asw/agw and calculate the totals. Price guides. Good support. Pretty nice and I thought about it hard. BUT--not so good for my medals or (hopefully) ancients. Kind of dated looking too. But very nice. ~$80 IIRC.

Also a contender is ReCollector. A program developed by a map collector, but perfectly geared towards collectors of any sort. Could probably do an inventory too. Can build in/name whatever fields you want. Can generate reports but no help if you want to make labels, and I was a little vague on how to make a spreadsheet like printout for a file/heirs. I'm sure that's in there, but by then I was putting my efforts into something else. Both Mac and PC. Has an APP. IIRC the app is view only. Costs ~$50. Excellent developer support and I was super tempted by this one too.

My final pick though is Tap Forms. Mac only, and has an app that can be used for data entry. It is very flexible in the building of a database and I came up with something for all my desired fields very quickly. Can look at each coin as a page view for all the details. I can make a spreadsheet view. I can make special views that include only some types of data--and print that out which is perfect for an insurance or 'heirs' inventory. It can do labels (and barcodes). AND, it lends itself well to any other type of personal or very small business needs. I'm thinking perhaps that home inventory will get done finally. It is also ~$50, is very flexible, has super support.

As for everything else, well, the rabbit holes run deep on the internet. New photo skills learned, books bought, the ANA Ancients class signed up for (work changed and I can get to Philadelphia for the course), website planning, might even stop using my paint/preview/picmonkey photo software mishmash and break down and get photoshop. Plus I'm buying the pieces to cobble together a platform for tilt/lean/z-axis movements, and want to do some photostacking...). New lights and modifications have been made for better photos too.

I also started looking at physical (not just data) storage options. Might give the Lighthouse Quickslabs a try. They can handle the thickness issues for some (maybe) and can be easily opened and will store in boxes I already own. The Quadram/Intercept 2x2s were tempting but there is no simple way to attach tags (like a flip) or labels (like the fake slabs), and likely are not able to hold the thicker coins. I also like the idea of generating a personal catalog number so I can have an easily located envelope with the actual paper documents too.

It's been a busy week!

8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Well, I made an updated thread to show my final results (until I change my mind about something). Some a repeat of that last post, but more pictures :D

Took a ton of input from various messages, posts etc. Thanks for all the helpful input!!

I must admit the using the wall for keeping track--and painting over sold items--was truly appealing. Except for painting. That is man-work in my house so I don't indulge. I'll take care of the taxes, but I won't paint.

Draft saved Draft deleted