How do you manage records, documentation, notes, etc

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Stork, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

This looks like a great option for me.. I am going to give this a shot. I only have about 30 coins and maybe another 20 LRBs that I have recently cleaned and starting to attribute. I had better get organized at this point. Thank you!

Theodosius and jb_depew like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

4. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

@Curtisimo that thread was in the back of my mind :)

So many good ideas! Never thought to use my email or my Apple Notes (or the google version) in the ways described.

@Severus Alexander I still have Bento loaded from years ago (somehow it made the transition when I got a new laptop a few years ago). It looked like it had potential but as noted, is no longer supported. FileMaker itself has always seemed like overkill (unless they have a 'lite' version). Bento was part of the reason I was hesitant to go with a commercial product.

That said, the ReCollector program looks good too. I'll take that for a test drive along with the Exact Change. Both can export as csv files and are compatible with outside programs. I suppose all that counts is that the data can be salvaged in case a program gets orphaned (like Bento).

And, even Excel itself is looking better too with some good input.

Curtisimo and Severus Alexander like this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That's one of the main advantages of database software. No lags, even with photos.

Curtisimo and Stork like this.
  6. Clavdivs

I spent some time on your site... very informative, very nice coins and well done!
    Thank you!

7. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I have a private personal website that I use to store info about my coins and keep track of them. It has everything, but invoices and price information. I think, for that, I'll use an Excel Spreadsheet.

Stork likes this.
  8. STU

STU Active Member

I use excel I use price I paid if I had to buy them ,certified numbers if they are certified ,condition,date mint marks what material they are made of date I received them,and break them down by denomination

Stork and Theodosius like this.
  9. Clavdivs

I started the cataloging process tonight with Google Keep. It is very easy to use and great that you can add Tags to each - for super easy searches. It really is awesome - it looks great. I mean it - looks awesome!
    Thank you jp_depew!!
    Previously I just made flip labels in MS Word and that was it.. now that I have a lot more room I am adding more details, the seller, etc.
    But I noticed one thing that was unexpected... at the bottom of my details I added the price paid... which I never had on my flip labels... I had to dig to find the info. But the more info the better, right???
    Wrong!! (for me) !! Once I added a dozen or so coins and browsed through my new database I realized I did NOT want to see the price I paid when I am browsing my collection. Not at all!!

Not that I have buyers remorse ..but just that it sort of takes away from the coin.. or what I am trying to do - maybe?.. I really don't know how to express it.... the history means more to me than what I paid for it, more than what it's worth now and more than I can potentially get for it in the future.. which is kind of ironic in that we are talking about a form of currency here..lol

If I was trying to explain this feeling to anyone else they would look at me in a very odd way. But on here perhaps someone will see my point? I will definitely continue with Google Keep.. but maybe keep a small Excel spreadsheet with prices paid - that I won't look at much. I do understand that in 10 or 20 years it will be good to get an idea of the market changes and have a reference.

Anyway - here is a look a Google Keep record (I deleted the seller and the price) but if you need to know it was $12. It looks pretty nice!

Google Coin.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

I'm glad you like it!

11. Archilochus

Archilochus Active Member

Hi all, I just joined CoinTalk today (been meaning to for a while), and stumbled across this thread. I'm actually a web developer - I had no idea this was such a problem for other collectors. I built a little app for my own personal use, to keep track of my small-but-growing collection of Greeks. If I open it up to you guys, would anyone be willing to try it out and tell me what they do & don't like about it?

My main objective has been to make a beautiful interface that does justice to the artistry of my coins - and lets me tinker with them on my phone when I'm supposed to be working . It also does many/most of the organizational tasks people have listed in the thread.

If this rings a bell with anyone, I'll clean it up and let you know when it's ready.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thanks for joining Archie!

Would love to try the app... Would I be able to snap my fingers and all of my collection jump into the app??? :)

Maybe something would be better than my .jpg / email database.
    upload_2018-6-18_16-27-25.png
    Carthage LIBYAN UPRISING Mercenary War 241-238 BCE Heracles Head in Lion's Head L - Lion walking R SNG Cop. 240 f

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Great thread! I'm more than a year behind with my data entering and am always looking for a better way.

Welcome to the board, @Archilochus!

14. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

@Clavdivs if you want to record the price you paid but keep it hidden you can use the old 10 letter codeword trick. Pick any word with 10 letters, no repeats, like PATHFINDER then allow each letter to represent a number 0 through 9. So your $12 coin is “AT” or “PAT” for 12 or 012.

Just keep your codeword a secret. ;)

Clavdivs likes this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Welcome new members!

For my token collection I use Excel. My ancients I made a database in Access. @Archilochus I would like ti try your app and provide feedback.

Archilochus likes this.
  16. Archilochus

I'll try to find a way to migrate your collection in for you!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Severus Alexander, Alegandron and TIF like this.
  17. Archilochus

Thanks! I'll bump this thread again once I get it ready. Will probably take several weeks - it's a side project in addition to the day job!

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  18. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

@Archilochus that does sound interesting--especially the part about being able to use easily on the phone. I have the Mac/iOS ecosystem, not sure if that's what you use though. I'd be very interested in adding it to my (slightly) shorter list :D.

I'm spending far too much time right now wrapping my head around doing a spreadsheet (either Excel or the google version) vs. a database. I have trials of Exact Change, ReCollector, and now Tap Forms to play with this week now that I'm on a work break.

On the surface Exact Change looks excellent for my world (okay and a few US) coins--especially if I ever get around to buying the e-books of the Krause catalogs, as that can be integrated. Need to make sure it'd be workable for medals/ancients in terms of flexibility. And, it's a bit dated looking.

ReCollector looks more interesting for my medals and the budding ancients...and just about any other nice collection.

Tap Forms, sounds workable for any collection (not sure how it will be yet in terms of the final 'look'), has an app, and is pretty flexible for other things like home inventories, to do lists, and just about anything you'd use a filing cabinet for.

Like many things, I am beginning to suffer from 'paralysis by analysis'...but at least I've narrowed it down to these things and if nothing else the brain is getting exercised in areas it's never gone before.

19. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

I would love to try the app and give feedback!

Archilochus likes this.
  20. i would love to try it also

Archilochus likes this.
  21. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I downloaded Apache OpenOffice, which is a free, open source, package that does most of what MS Office does. I created my own database using the OpenOffice version of MS Access. Works fine for me, and I can add fields if I decide I need more information.

akeady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted