How do you dry a coin you have dipped?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Insider, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Brings to mind an old Saran Wrap commercial you might be too young to remember :) where they wrap an onion in Saran Wrap and in a "regular" plastic wrap and then try and smell it. The original Saran Wrap was much less permeable than the modern Saran.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@Dynoking One of the hard and fast rules of coin collecting is not to clean any coin for any reason. The part of your post in blue is NOT in the usual rule. Also usually understood is "unless you know what you are doing and are experienced."

Unfortunately, unless you are taught the correct way to clean coins, what works, and when to attempt it; the only way to gain experience is to ruin quite a few! :(

Therefore, it's best not to clean coins.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

You guys are too funny!.. Loving it...

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Dynoking

You hit it on the head! "unless you know what your doing" That's me. And that's why I love CT. I read all the threads for my coin education. What I've learned here in the past two months is more than I've learned in my past 54 years.
    That said do you have any tips on safely cleaning my common date wheaties, Buffalos, war Jeffs', Merc's, Bennies, Franks', and Kennies', all found in pocket change and CRH?

6. Dynoking

That much I know. I have and continue to cull the ringers from my CRH finds. I'm relying on the vast knowledge here on CT to learn the right way to care fro my collection.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Are there options?

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Lots, washing soda, dilute sodium hydroxide (Draino or lye), but the bicarb is the one I would choose.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am getting the feeling that everyone seems to think these acid dips should be used at full strength. Well you can, but until you get experienced , dilute it. I dilute 5 or 10 water: 1 EZest ( Jeweluster) and start there. It takes longer, but you can rinse the coin with just water and carefully turn over and decide if you want to do it longer in the dip, repeat the dip until you are happy, and then rinse well with water ( no need for a base buffer since the acid is water based and washes off easily) , rinse in acetone to remove residual water( or not as you decide) and hold by the edge until it air drys. If you lay it flat, water spots may occur.
    Using it full strength is like using acetylene torch to cook your hamburgers on the grill. Overkill.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

The coin was placed in the "Air-Tite" at one atmosphere pressure and ambient humidity! I believe you'll find the vacuum bag sealer will have minimal effect on the capsule interior environment.

JMHO

11. Insider

...and lest anyone forget...I've reported that about 60% of the conservation process (after you determine to dip a coin) involves preparing its surface before dipping. I guess that stuff is like a trade secret. :( Perhaps, it is as simple as removing any glue or contamination on the coin before it is dipped. Those who know :muted: won't tell! :bigtears:

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Glad you posted. You know this stuff.
    The proper ratio is important and you learn that over time.
    You don't use the same ratio for every coin.

Are you saying that water alone will neutralize a dip and leave the surface stable?
    I'm asking this because I have been using baking soda for this step for the past 30 something years. Is it not needed?

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I know you could teach the topic if you wished but don't blame you for not going there.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No, I am not saying that. If the dipped coin was put into a bowl of still water , then the acid would still be in the solution. But if rinsed with flowing water, the acid should be removed along with any thiourea or what ever the dip used to carry the silver compound(s) producing the corroded( toned or damaged) areas on the coin away also, and no buffering is needed IMO.

As far as baking soda, if it is not completely removed before (physically) drying with a cloth or whatever, it can be abrasive if the person doesn't know solubility. Harbor Freight and such sell air abrasive set ups for paint removal,, and they use sodium bicarbonate ( not mixed with water though).

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah I remember the commercial. In fact as a kid I tried it out to see if it was true. And when ZipLocks came out I tried them in various experiments, and not just regarding smell, but being watertight too. They aren't by the way.

But the experiment with Oreos, try that with a ZipLock, that's one I discovered in the 1960's - and it's still true today. I have some Oreos in a Ziplock sitting on top the fridge right this minute ;)

Kentucky likes this.
  16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Doug, you know that I love you, but I guess you've never seen a Food Saver.

It's a bag that you seal with a Food Saver machine, a compressor driven unit that literally sucks all of the air out of the bag and then seals it leaving a vacuum sealed environment that lasts for years.

They're really quite amazing, and if you buy food in bulk, they will save you hundreds of dollars in waste.

I tell you what, Doug. I'm going to seal a full package of Oreos which I will open just to be fair, into a FoodSaver bag. PM me your address and I'm going to send you the sealed Oreos via UPS Ground ( the slow way) and you can tell me for yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gronnh20 likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

Yeah I have seen one Mike, my sister's, can't say it was the specific one posted here though. But with hers, you could definitely smell the food inside.

But you try yours with the Oreos, if you tell me you can't smell them after they've been in there overnight, that's good enough for me.

mikenoodle likes this.
  18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

LOL I'd rather this... I send you the package and if you can't smell the Oreos, you give me a like. :D

Insider likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

Mike, you've known me for what, 16 years now ? Do you really think that would happen ? :)

mikenoodle likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

What is the world. We can't even bribe you with Oreos?

21. Insider

DON'T eat the cookies Doug! Get a friend to tast them and wait a few hours to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted