How do you document your coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tom Babinszki, Dec 15, 2019.

1. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Odd. My house was broken into last month and my "junk cabinet" was emptied. The most valuable item taken was an 1896 $1 Educational Note. Neither the police nor the insurance company asked for receipts -- I provided photographs of the stolen items and the claim was paid at fair market value. The photographs included EXIF information showing when they were taken and with which camera, but I doubt very much that anyone bothered to check.

UncleScroge likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

For better coins I have images in my computer’s photograph albums, starting with half cents and proceeding to gold double eagles. Following each coin is an image of the purchase receipt. Unfortunately, some receipts can’t be found and others (mostly paid via PayPal) were not documented at the time of purchase — they only keep receipts for three years. All of this is backed up through Apple’s Cloud.

4. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

I use Ucoin.net for all of my World Coins, but it can be used for U.S. coins as well, modern coins, I should say. It is a free web-based program from which I can download a spreadsheet or DB file of my inventory. Very well documented and great pictures also.

Tom Babinszki likes this.
  5. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I use excel.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Tom Babinszki

Tom Babinszki Member

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

7. STU

STU Active Member

Microsoft excel works the best for me I do have them also saved on my passport with pictures of all the ones I think are important plus I put all serial numbers of the certified ones on my external drive pictures do work as every coin like finger prints have there own id marks as I proved when I was robbed got most back now I have marley as my security

8. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

Use Microsoft Works Data Base on computer using Mac Os 9.2 And Microsoft Excel using Mac OS 10.11.6. I scan the coin and also catalog it on Numista and indicate the actual location of the coin reduced_361_km_66_1966_20_cent_pcgs_pr69dcam_pcgs_144120.69_35866361.jpg

9. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I use Libre Office, which is completely free and has pretty much everything that I need from Excel. In other words, it's close enough. You can also save documents in Excel-compatible formats, which is what I do.

10. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Are you referring to photo documenting?

cplradar likes this.
  11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

yes sir

bruthajoe likes this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Not if it is 20K worth of coins stolen in Brooklyn, FWIW. The want reciepts and they investigated if we had sold coins recently. In the end it was reimburded not even 10 cents on the dollar. For many of the coins they offered to day only face value.

13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I may have to look into something like that....right now, I created some Excel Spreadsheets for my Gold, Silver, and Bill inventory.

14. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

You should reply to the comment your referring too. Makes it easier to follow.

Draft saved Draft deleted