How do you determine if you have a Sacagawea struck on a Susan B Anthony?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dbeck22, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dbeck22

dbeck22 Member

I have a collector set First year of issue for America's smallest dollars and the Sacagawea and the Presidential dollar are colored funny. They have a little of a silverish tone to them. But the main thing I found interesting is the clad composition.

This is what I found on coinworld.com .....
    "
    The alloy composition for the Sacagawea dollar was unveiled Oct. 6, 1999, in New York City. Although golden in color, it contains no gold. Both the golden Sacagawea dollar and silver-colored Anthony dollars are clad coins, sharing a three-layer composite construction, with a pure copper core sandwiched between and metallurgically bonded to outer layers of alloy material.

"The alloy layers on each side of the pure copper core of the Anthony dollar is copper-nickel, a material composed of 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel, the same alloy that comprises the Jefferson 5-cent coin. With the Sacagawea dollar, the alloy layers on each side of the copper core are manganese bronze, a golden-colored alloy composed of 77 percent copper, 12 percent zinc, 7 percent manganese and 4 percent nickel.

Taking into account the pure copper core, the overall composition of the Sacagawea dollar is 88.5 percent copper, 6 percent zinc, 3.5 percent manganese and 2 percent nickel. The overall composition of the Anthony dollar is 87.5 percent copper and 12.5 percent nickel. The alloy used in the Sacagawea dollar was developed to match the electromagnetic signature of the Anthony dollar and thus did not require any retrofitting to be accepted by existing vending and transit authority machines."

But by looking at the edge of the Susan B. and the side of the Sacagawea, you can see a difference. The Susan B looks like 2 layers of metals while the Sacagawea looks like a copper core sandwiched between 2 gold-colored metals.
    My coin is lighter in color than a regular Sacagawea and the edge of the coin looks more like the Susan B. Anthony than it does the other.

So with this information, how do I determine if I have a Sacagawea struck on a Susan B Anthony?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks 20180613_171645.jpg 20180613_171700.jpg 20180613_171927.jpg 20180613_171932.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They all look normal. Ignore the edge. That's what clad looks like.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Looks absolutely normal to me.

6. dbeck22

dbeck22 Member

its very hard to get a picture of my regular Sacagawea because it's in a protective wrapper, but it has 3 distinct layers

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It should. That's normal.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is a normal Sacagawea.. Not a Mint Error

Draft saved Draft deleted