How do people get really old rolls?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by gubni, Dec 26, 2012.

1. gubni

gubni Active Member

I saw on ebay a seller has a roll of coins with 2.5c gold peice on one end and indian head penny on the other end. He says it's from the federal reserve bank. How would someone get this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

You mean this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-2-1-2-...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You don't. It's a "seeded roll". No one in their right mine would roll a $2.50 gold indian with a wheat cent back in the day. It was just something you did not do.

99.9% of "unsearched" rolls on eBay are "hand made" by sellers. It's a very deceptive practice that eBay, despite numerous complains, and sellers with large amounts of negative feedback, have decided to still allow. If I had any kind of power, as in being an eBay employee, I would make the sale of "unsearched" rolls not allowed.

Now, ask yourself, if you ran across a roll of coins your grandfather had, wouldn't you bust the roll open and search through it? Of course you would! Especially because really old rolls may yield some semi-key or key date coins.

The theory is about as stupid as finding a jar of coins from the 1800s behind the wall of your house, and listing them as "unsearched" on eBay, instead of seeing what may be inside.

Unless you lack a brain, of course you would not do such a thing.

NOW, there are some exceptions to the rule. Sometimes people will list original bank rolls of Silver halves, quarters, etc on eBay. People will buy these in order to find higher grade silver coins. People who have no idea on how to grade coins will sell these, and they ARE legitimate.

Sometimes, in a blue moon, you will find original bank rolls of Morgans, although they are really hard to find.

I laugh when I see eBay sellers selling "unsearched rolls" with a penny on one side, and a dime on the other. Back then coins were wrapped by hand, and you didn't wrap different denominations together.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well-said, Detecto.

5. gubni

gubni Active Member

Well I met a guy a few days ago who was telling me about it. He had bought one in the past and it had 36 gold coins in it and was planning to buy that one also. The seller said he had gotten them from the reserve bank. I guess they all sorta come from there. I wonder if they auction off boxes of old coins occasionally?

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There are dealers and even regular collectors who honestly do have unopened rolls back to the 1950s, and others have boxes of them from the 60s or 70s. Generally it will take a buy or 2 to confirm it is someone you want to use regularly, or check the feedback carefully to narrow them down, or ask around. The same is true for "bags" of wheat cents, there are several who have advertised on this site, and has impressive recommendations.

Detecto is correct about the dealer you mention, no-one would roll such. Many of the end coins are defaced on the side you don't see, or are made into "Love Tokens", details shaved off and initials or details engraved, or reproduction fakes.

7. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

He probably sells the rolls himself. These rolls are pretty much a scam as Detecto stated, especially the ones with different denominations together. This scam tactic has also spread to my local craigslist unfortunately. It is very easy to buy old coin wrappers and a crimp tool and make these 'unsearched' rolls. Seed with worthless junk filler then put something special on the ends to play on peoples hope and foolishness. Although this scam should be apparent, obviously the sellers are profiting handsomely from doing it as it continues.

8. BLACKTALON

BLACKTALON Member

Scammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Who can say conclusively? Perhaps gold coins were sandwiched between wheat cents in rolls to hide them because who would bother stealing rolls of pennies if given the option between higher denominations of rolled coins? I read the story of someone on here who knows someone who found a $5 gold coin in a roll of nickels. Strange occurences and findings do happen but I agree most of these auctions showing gold coin enders or key dates are most-likely entirely fake.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

My credit unions call me when they have hoards come in, recently I got $50 in cents from one of my credit unions that had a guy that brought in a 40+ year accumulation that he just had rolled up. Yup, lots of red 60s, even a few red wheaties.

John77 likes this.
  11. b81

b81 New Member

My Freind has some original bank wrapped rolls but I think 1952d wheat penny is the oldest roll of the Lincoln cents and the other obw rolls are 1959d and 1965 about 3 ea. Of those and one obw nickel roll 1956D. That is all that's left that is unopened cuz he opened about 20 other Lincoln rolls dated back to the early 40's. He didn't even know what he was doing cuz coins arnt his thing. I was trying to price the obw rolls he had left but have had trouble on the internet and eBay is filled with illegitimate listings so if somebody could post what a dealer would pay that would be awesome.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

You have to list dates & mint marks to get ANY idea.

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

when I look for old rolls I check the dumpster behind the deli

Golden age, green18 and galapac like this.
  14. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Because the same thing shows up again and again! That's how you say conclusively. These guys make rubes think the whole roll is that way and charge more than the value would be for the two coins only. The rest are just culls and the buyer loses money.

15. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Ark ark

dwhiz likes this.
  16. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

See non-penny in end of a penny roll? RUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hell, all ya get there is twenty day old corn beef........

Santinidollar, eddiespin and dwhiz like this.
  18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

How do people get really old rolls?

Live really long.

:)

Silver Searcher likes this.
  19. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I had and still have alot of these coins left but i had 15 original rolls of 1909 vdb cents red as the day they came from the mint. Also, 3 rolls of original 1913 type 1 p buffalos and 2 original rolls of 1938 d buffalos. I picked cherries for grading and got alot of high grade back. This kind of stuff is around and a good way to get nice stuff if you can find rolls like this.

20. Walkers

Walkers New Member

Late to this party, but...did that $5 gold coin have a 'V' on the reverse?

Golden age likes this.
  21. caheyl87

caheyl87 New Member

Who knows who put whatever in these rolls. I could go home and roll up all my 1909 vdb's and put some 40/50's wheats on the end and sell it for 5 bucks. Or, I could take reverse that and put all 40/50's inside with the vdb's on the ends and sell it for 50 bucks. Someone could put 36 gold coins in one trying to have an entire roll of gold coins.

Who really knows what was going through anyone's mind many years ago when wrapping all these coins up? I'm a goofy guy. I'm going to mess with my grand kids when I leave them my collection. Leave em funny notes in the rolls, wrap pennies on the end and put dimes in the middle, etc. They'll be like "did grandpa wrap these yesterday, because only someone with severe dementia would do this?!"

It's best to use common sense and good judgment when purchasing "unsearched" rolls. That, and the feedback!!! Let other people be the guinea pigs when buying this stuff but definitely read their feedback. And while there may be some people out there who think a roll full of wheat pennies with 1 indian head penny is like striking gold, there are definitely trolls out there who like to write bad reviews for no particular reason.

Anyways, I hope this helps someone... anyone.

-Cory

Draft saved Draft deleted