How do I store my ancient coins..... for a hurricane?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Aug 24, 2017.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

We are preparing for himmicane Harvey on the Gulf Coast. I pray for the folks in the path of the eye (with a small turn it could be us). One of my first priorities was to move some goodies to my safety deposit box in an area a bit higher than the 14' elevation of my home. I took a few pics while packing. Now that all of my coins are miles away, I am in withdrawal.
    The first box was my heaviest one:
    store Aes Rude.JPG
    storing Aes Rude 5.JPG
    Aes Rude box on way to bank.JPG
    The second box was Aes Grave -
    storing Aes Grave 2.JPG
    Small Aes Grave went into a display box -
    storing Aes Grave 6.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, fantastic collection. Now that your coins are safe make sure you take care of yourself as well.:angelic:

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Well, you send them to me as I'm safely out of the path of the storm, and I look after them for you indefinitely. If you miss them, I can always send you one or two coins back, and I'll keep the rest safe and sound. Sounds like a plan, right?

Nice collection of odd Republican Rome bronzes. It must feel great feeling the weight of those hefty chunks of bronze in your hands.

I pray everyone in the path of this storm stays safe. I have survived 3 hurricanes and two tornados in my life, and countless tropical storms (the price of living near the Caribbean). It's always scary when a monster storm is staring down at you. I wish you all the best. Shutter your windows and seek high ground while you still can. Believe me, ridding a hurricane is not fun. Don't chance it.

dadams and Roman Collector like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

My goodness you have some serious poundage there! Very very impressive when viewed all together.

I hope the hurricane isn't too disruptive. Its path reminds me of one in the late 1980s. I was living in San Antonio at the time. Coastal residents evacuates inland... to San Antonio. Fortunately the hurricane wasn't as powerful as predicted when it made landfall. Unfortunately, it spawned tornados in San Antonio, including one which touched down on my apartment building :(.

dadams and Alegandron like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Put them in some of those Gallon Baggies (Zip Lock). They'll be grand and with no worries.........:)

7. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I wish I knew more about ancients. I have only just started looking into them to collect.

dadams and Roman Collector like this.
  8. Sallent

Well, you came to the right place to learn. When it comes to ancients, we are like Pavlov's dogs, we can't stop drooling and lusting after them.

Drooling_Dog.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  9. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Same boat as you pal ;).

And good luck be safe.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    RAGNAROK likes this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I hope everything goes good for you folks down there, fingers crossed.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

We are saying prayers for you folks in Texas and elsewhere

RAGNAROK likes this.
  12. Sallent

It's only a Cat 3. In places like New York and New Jersey a Cat 1 hurricane is hyped up and called by the media "The Storm of the Century." Here in Florida we are more used to these storms so we have a more laid back approach.

In Florida here is how we treat these storms

Tropical Storm: Go to work, business as usual.
    Category 1 Hurricane: A relaxing day off of work.
    Category 2 Hurricane: Time to bring in the patio furniture and throw a Hurricane Party.
    Category 3 Hurricane: Mildly comcerned, might be time to put up those shutters and get some supplies.
    Category 4 Hurricane: Ok, things are getting real now, maybe it's time to go to a shelter.
    Category 5 Hurricane: Time for that long overdue road trip or that long overdue flight somewhere else.

RAGNAROK, green18 and Brian Bucklan like this.
  13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

And us California folk, it’s just earthquakes. Been through many in my life and still would rather have them then tornadoes or hurricanes.

My step grandmother lives in Texas and has lost her home and everything twice, yet she moved to Texas cause she hated earthquakes.

Now I await house 3 maybe to go.:rolleyes:

14. Sallent

Well, Hurricane Wilma did a number on South Florida before destroying Louisiana a few days later. My parent's home had extensive roof damage due to a tornado spun by the hurricane, I had a tree knocked out and lost the screen enclosure around the pool area, and we were all without power and water for 3 days. But at least the earth didn't shake. The idea of an earthquake terrifies me. At least a hurricane gives you some warning and time to decide how to prepare.

Also went through hurricane Katrina. That one was a boring cat 1. I slept through most of it like it was nothing. Hurricane Frances was another story. I caught that one when I was visiting some friends in Ft. Pierce. It was terrifying and I seriously regretted wanting to go experience it and purposefully putting myself in its path. A Cat 4, it destroyed a lot of that area and the building where I was sheltering from the storm, a solid brick structure, had a large hole punched on the side by flying debris. I thought I was a goner, but hey, I'm sure my friends appreciated me coming to be with them during that time (at least when they were not busy screaming and praying for their lives)

You know how people say hurricanes sound like freight trains? Maybe a Cat 2 or 3 might sound like that, but a Cat 4 like Frances definitely didn't sound like an oncoming train. I'd describe the sound more like the sound of the world being ripped into pieces, mixed in with the sounds of explosions every time an object hit the wall of the building at 140 miles an hour.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    TIF likes this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Maybe cause we live in those situations, it doesn’t bother us, but never been in it, it’s scary.

All of it sucks really.

Theodosius and Sallent like this.
  16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

We get a little bit of everything in Flagstaff lol.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm not sure where I'd rank earthquakes in these three, but I definitely prefer the long advanced warning of hurricanes to the moment's notice (or less) for tornados!

Tornados also have the classic freight train sound, something I'd forgotten when I awoke that Saturday morning in San Antonio. My parents, who were visiting that weekend and staying in the third (top) floor of a guest apartment in my complex, did not forget. They're from Waco and have been through a few. The heard the "freight train" and hunkered down in the bathtub. Good thing-- when it was over there was no roof above them.

I was looking out the window, early in the morning and not fully awake, just before it touched down. The sky was a weird green-gray. Suddenly the air was very still and my ears felt like they were going to pop, and then cars started blowing by. I dove down and into a corner and the windows imploded into shards which stuck like daggers into the opposite walls. The building shook and the sound was like a train or a jet. Surreal. Half of the buildings in that complex were condemned due to damage, including mine. Amazingly, no one was injured! The complex was mostly students and we'd finished a week of tests the day before. Many people were out of town, fortunately.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    green18 likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@rrdenarius
    Gene: I just read this newsflash in my email today. I hope you and your Loved Ones are safe and well. Best, Brian

CNN Breaking News
    Flooding from Tropical Storm Harvey is overburdening resources as authorities in and around Houston scramble to save those trapped by the high waters.

The National Weather Service calls the flooding "unprecedented" and warns things may become more dire if a record-breaking rain total of 50 inches falls on parts of Texas.

"The breadth and intensity of this rainfall are beyond anything experienced before," the service said. "Catastrophic flooding is now underway and expected to continue for days."

Several states and the US military are sending emergency workers and equipment to Texas.

In Harris County, though, authorities are having trouble getting supplies and equipment.

"We've requested boats, all the things that would normally happen in a well-planned response to an event like this, but they can't get here," Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said.

Houston’s mayor warned the rain could exacerbate flooding for "four to five days," and Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Brock Long said he expects his agency "is going to be there for years."

Latest updates:

• President Donald Trump plans to travel to Texas on Tuesday, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.
    • The Houston Independent School District has canceled school for the week.
    • Houston's William P. Hobby Airport is closed until Wednesday because of flooding, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
    • Ben Taub Hospital is being evacuated after flooding in the basement "disrupted the power source," Emmett said.
    • Some 316,000 customers have lost electricity, Gov. Greg Abbott said.
    • The storm forced key oil and gas facilities on the US Gulf Coast to close.

19. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I hope Gene is doing well too. I'm in Houston and have tried to hook up to meet him on a couple of occasions, but it just hasn't panned out yet.

Actually, I'm in Kingwood:
    upload_2017-8-27_20-43-24.png
    So far, we have been fine as most of the water is flowing downstream via the San Jacinto River, but there has been widespread reports of flooding in my area along the I-69 corridor. Most of the extreme flooding seems to be inside loop 610 on the map above. One of my colleagues lives in Meyerland (Bellaire area above) and has over a foot of water in his house.

MFish, Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  20. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Send them north I'm in Tulsa and do coin guard duty, :D
    Best of luck to you that are dealing with it now.
    We usually get the much weaker remnants that make it this far.
    I moved from Calif not because the quakes but to get away the same. Moved to Tulsa we now have earth quakes and tornados and some violent wind storms. I think you'll find something wrong with werever you live.
    Hope and prayers for you all. Gets to bad come on up to Tulsa, I'll take care of your collection.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    RAGNAROK likes this.
  21. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Thoughts are with you, Gene.

What's with the .54 caliber thingies in there? Muzzleloader?

Nicholas Molinari and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted