How do I pop a coin into PCGS holder?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Endeavor, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

*duplicate post*

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

I still haven't gotten home but should be there soon. I will report the results. Thank you all for the comments and advice.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

If you find a system that works, this could be a very useful and excellent thread!

Endeavor likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This will be challenging since the coin isn't large. First thing I'd try is grab the slab at the bottom and flick the top back edge onto a hard surface almost hard enough to chip the slab. I might also try dropping the slab from a couple feet up to land flat on a table top, but that can be tricky.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

If it were me and the coin had any value i would send it back to PCGS. It's not worth possibly hurting the coin. Maybe PCGS will even do it for free because it's obviously not in there properly. This comes from a guy who normally makes things worse when I get frustrated and start trying to go for the "quick fix"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmc60 and Endeavor like this.
  7. Endeavor

It's not a coin of high enough value to be worthy of paying a reholder fee and worthy of trying to fix myself (in my opinion). I will contact PCGS to see if they would be willing to reholder for free, especially since it's a Secure label (gold shield).

Update... coin is in freezer now.

8. Endeavor

I left it in the freezer for 1 hour. I can now say nothing worked. Coin seems hellbent on staying crooked forever. Oh well, at least I tried.

9. Endeavor

Oh and I ended up cracking the case now. Didn't have anything to do with the coldness. I tried tapping with a hammer after all the slamming. In fact it wasn't even cold anymore by the time I took a hammer to it.

I just wrote PCGS an email asking if I can send it in. Like I said before, it's not really worth the cost to reholder but I just can't stand to see it that way. Looks like it will be in my collection forever or eventually sold at a loss. Anyway, that's my story.

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Look I'm just an old Marine. Why don't you just buy you a holder take the coin out and put it in the new holder. Problem solved. I'm sure some members out there will give you a link to who sells these type of holders. But I'm just a dumb old Marine. And since you let your frustration out on that poor plastic, it's a lot cheaper to buy the capsule yourself than to send it in. I don't think they cover hammer crack cases. And I know they charge a pretty penny for re-holdering.:jawdrop::blackalien:

Insider and Endeavor like this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

In the future, will slabs that don't show signs of "slammer stress" command a premium like the OGH slabs? CWASCFTB: coin was actually seated correctly from the beginning slab++:)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Endeavor likes this.
  12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Just a follow-up for you can purchase a PCGS Slab holder for a $1.75 sent from https://www.air-tites.com. And yes they do take PayPal.:blackalien: 2up.jpg

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They don't sell PCGS slab shells, they sell Coin World shells.

14. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I have a similar coin cocked in a PCGS holder. PCGS sent me a special return form and requested I include the original order form. They said they would reholder at no cost and my account would be credited for my shipping and insurance costs. I'll keep you posted.

15. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Tapping meant they didn't ever walk too good again - Slamming meant they "NEVER" walked again!! Oh, the good old days before old age set in!! LOL!

16. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

If someone figures this out, please post. I have a MS63 flying eagle cent that has this problem. I suspect it left PCGS this way. I am not the original slobber, so I don't know if PCGS will honor some sort of workmanship guaranty and make it right for me?

Endeavor likes this.
  17. Endeavor

This seems to be a more common issue than it should be eh. I for one have seen it several times with coins I have purchased. What the hell is going on in the slabbing department over there?? :D Meanwhile I didn't receive a reply to my email. Perhaps they take a couple days to reply. If not I will try calling.

By the way, not being negative towards PCGS. Overall they do good work.

Draft saved Draft deleted