HOW DO I KNOW IF MY 1990 NO S PENNY IS REAL???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hungryahmad, Nov 12, 2014.

1. hungryahmad

hungryahmad New Member

My sister and I have 8 1990 no pennies, we don't know how to tell if they're real. Help please. I posted the six I personally have. IMG_6885.JPG IMG_6887.JPG IMG_6888.JPG IMG_6889.JPG IMG_6885.JPG IMG_6885.JPG IMG_6887.JPG IMG_6888.JPG IMG_6889.JPG

712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Do you really think you could surf through a little pocket change and find 8 $4000 coins without any training or prior knowledge?

hungryahmad likes this.
  4. hungryahmad

hungryahmad New Member

are they real, how can i tell? if not real what are they?

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Oh they are definitely real but the problem is that they are coins struck for normal business.

The money coin is the 1990 No S PROOF coin.

The Philadelphia Mint has NEVER put a mint mark on Lincolns Cents they produce. These are what you have. Worth about a cent a piece.

In 1990, the US Mint produced some proof sets where the Lincoln Cent did not have the "S" which appears on all Proof coins since 1968.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    Del Ihle and medoraman like this.
  6. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

This is a picture of a $4000 1990 no s 1c. If you want to sell your pennies for $4000 they need to look like this one.

image.jpg

NOS likes this.
  7. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

You shouldn't be allowed to have money.

ijconnor likes this.
  8. 19Lyds

Was that comment really necessary or are you attempting to say something else?

Inspector43, hungryahmad and JPeace$ like this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They are not the proof no S coins

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Couldnt he polish them and turn them into proofs?

11. 19Lyds

Only in a non-collectors eyes.

12. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Guys you really need to lay off the new people. At one point you did not know squat either and if some old fart just gave you a hard time you might not have become a collector. This board does this WAY too much.....you need to encourage new collectors, not be an arse to them.

To the original poster....I am afraid not and the reasons have already been posted. Coin collecting requires study and knowledge and to find something like a no S penny or dime, it requires lots of LUCK.

13. Gregg. K

Gregg. K Junior Member

As a long time Numismatist I find the Post both Entertaining and stupid at the same time. The truth is everyone myself included had to start out naïve and eventually gain knowledge of the hobby as time goes on.

roman99, MontCollector and Jwt708 like this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The problem is that most people don't bother to use the "quote" function, so you have no idea which comment they are quoting.

Chris

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Serious?

16. cpm9ball

I resent being called an old fart even though it's true!

Chris

micbraun and Savy like this.
  17. cpm9ball

Don't be so presumptuous! When I first started, there weren't any internet chat rooms, so you had no way of knowing how stupid and naïve I could have been.

Chris

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Lol, it is an advantage for us older generation, right? We have no written documentation of how stupid we were starting out. :)

To the OP, its a common mistake. The only "No S" cent worth anything are the proof versions like 19Lyds pointed out. We get this question a lot, for the 1990 cent, the 1968 nickel, etc. Don't feel bad, lots of people make the same mistake. If you like coins, stick around and read some nice, informative threads here. Feel free to ask questions.

hungryahmad likes this.
  19. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

All I've got for the whole string, excluding the novice collector, is "LOL"

20. Del Ihle

Del Ihle Member

@bdunnse - You really know how to encourage a new collector to enjoy coin collecting. The original poster was just asking for help - not criticism. He had a valid question and thankfully has had it answered by a few helpful responses.

For everyone, please help and assist new collectors get started if you can. In that manner our hobby will continue to grow, and not go the way of many philatelists.

Just my opinion . . . . .

Del

21. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Well...I actually believe there IS such a thing as a stupid question. Anyway, sorry to offend - it was inappropriate.

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted