How do I get started metal detecting?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to talk about this here? If I'm not let me know and I'll take it down. Anyway on to the main topic. I think questions are usless without context so here's some. In the summer I will be moving to Simsbury, CT (any of you guys live around there?). I was doing some town research and found out some of the first "American" coins were made there. Now I'm not excepting to find any as one in G-4 could go for $35,000 but, I do want to try it because I probbaly could find some old coins and Revolutionary War relics. So, how do I get started metal detecting? I'm looking for the equipment and tips and tricks.

Than you for your time and help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here is a great website to go check out. http://www.treasurenet.com/ I am currently a member over there. It has tons of great information. I would recommend getting a Garret Ace 350 to get you started. It is probably the best "bang for the buck" in entry level metal detectors. I'm not sure what your budget is, but they start at just under $300.00. A great place to pick one up would be here. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/products/all-purpose/na14-1140260/ace-350?q=na14-1140260.

Also look to see if there are any clubs in the area that you will be moving to. More than likely they will have monthly meetings as well as monthly outings. I belong to a club in my neck of the woods and it is a great place for beginners to get started. They can teach you the correct methods of detecting, filling your holes, research... etc... Good luck to you, you will be addicted the minute you pull your first silver coin out of the ground..

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I bought my first (White's) metal detector in July, 1970, and had to drive 200 miles to the dealer's. Never found that much, but enjoyed getting outdoors. I also had an attorney draw up a search agreement, and will send you a copy for a SASE. For a while, I actually ran an ad to
    search for (known) lost objects in someone's yard. I charged an hourly fee if I didn't find the item, but charged more if I did. That way they knew I wasn't loafing.

If I was doing it now, I'd tell a small suburban police department that I would search for crime-scene evidence upon request, no charge. It's smart to have the cops on your side, and useful as a reference.

5. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

I started with the Ace250 and found enough clad and jewelry to pay it off and pay for an upgrade to the ATPro. Now I'm hunting relics and old coins with the CTX3030. I'd start slow with a starter machine to see if this hobby is for you. Re-sell on these detectors are reasonable. Find a club in your area. There's always members with extra machines to try out. Most club members are GREAT guys/gals!

6. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Umm...what they said!!! :hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted