HOW DO I DO THIS?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by SmokinJoe, Apr 23, 2018.

1. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

Question guys, where or who ( you know someone who is good and affordable? )
    should I go to, to have a few coins value estimated and quality? rating? This is a
    first for me so not sure how to approach this.....I thank you all ahead of time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt to post them here first and get some opinions on whether it's worth your time/money to go further.

SmokinJoe likes this.
  4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

What he said

5. CoinBlazer

Or you can find a local coin dealer NOT a pawn shop

SmokinJoe likes this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps, but it must be remembered that "dealer" is in no way synonymous with "expert", especially when it comes to more niche of esoteric material. The point is that much can depend on the type of coins he's asking about

SmokinJoe, Oldhoopster and dwhiz like this.
  7. CoinBlazer

True

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

+1

SmokinJoe likes this.
  9. Jebocement

Jebocement Member

I went to my local antique/coin dealer and he helped me :

1. Weigh each coin - which helped us discuss what a specific coin "should weigh", the percentages of error for each coin's weight, and how much circulation matters to the weight of each coin, etc . . .
    2. Put it on two machines (I don't know the names of the machines) which indicated the exact metal content of each coin
    3. Tell me if my coins were real or counterfeit (to the best of his eyes)
    4. Help me sort through which coins he thought I should send in for grading, and which ones I should think about selling (so that I could replace them for graded ones.)
    4. Point out scratches, cleaning, previously jewelry coins, etc.

Of 23 of my ungraded pre-1933 gold coins, only 5 were suggested to be sent in for grading. The shop said I could allow THEM to send the coins to PCGS/NGC/etc. for grading in order to speed up the time it would take to return the coin grading evaluation and save on expense. . . or, I could do it myself.

The good part is that I found a dealer who is honest with me. The bad part is that he will only give me slightly above melt-down value for each of my non-graded coins. He suggests I sell my ungraded coins within my local coin clubs, on-line auctions, or through social media. (???) He also has my phone # on file and calls when someone is interested in one of my coins.

I suggest you find a local coin dealer you can begin a relationship with. My dealer is such a great guy! The very first thing he does when I walk in is ask if I would like a bottle of water, coffee, or soda. Ha. His staff is also very interested in assisting me with meeting my ultimate goal of replacing ungraded coins with graded only coins. Additionally, for a very small hourly fee, he will go with me to the bank and help sort through 3 safety deposit boxes I have of coins and advise me which ones to keep, have graded, or sell. FIND A DEALER YOU TRUST and who has a good reputation. Your local coin club can help you locate an honest dealer. :)

Kirkuleez and SmokinJoe like this.
  10. SmokinJoe

Very good idea, I will post them here....( why didn't I think of that?...Duhhh) :banghead: Let me go find them....

furryfrog02 likes this.
  11. SmokinJoe

12. SmokinJoe

I have 3 1939 Nickels, here's the second one 1939 with 1940 reverse.jpg 1939 with 1940 reverse1.jpg 1939 with 1940 reverse2.jpg 1939 with 1940 reverse3.jpg 1939 with 1940 reverse4.jpg

calishield likes this.
  13. SmokinJoe

Ummm....Well, I thought I had 3 of them ( I KNOW I HAVE THREE 1939!!!:rage:)
    I'll have to look around and find it...

14. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You can also learn to do a ballpark yourself, this is HIGHLY recommended.

/1/ Use a RedBook or online resource like Numista to determine the correct diameter and weight.

- if the weight is drastically off, or the diameter is wrong, it's a fake. (a scale reading to +/- 0.01 or +/- 0.02 g is best as the tolerances are small, e.g. 0.13g for a cent)

/2/ Go to PCGS Online Photograde to review hires photos of the coin in the various grades (https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/)

/3/ Use the various price guides (PCGS has one as does NGC for their plastic, CoinPrices.com has a consumer [retail] guide. Also eBay SOLD (not just completed) prices and auctions

- what you are looking for is whether it's worth certifying & grading. Is the price raw + the cost >= certified prices.

- Note that for gold, with the high number of counterfeits is almost critical

- The machine the coin dealer has that @Jebocement
    was referring to are likely an XRF (X-ray) which checks the composition at the surface and a few atoms deep) and a Sigma Metalytics (which uses induction to measure the resistance - http://www.sigmametalytics.com/).

SmokinJoe likes this.
  15. SmokinJoe

Thanks so much Burton Strauss III, that was very helpful!

16. SmokinJoe

Thanks Jebocement, I appreciate your help!

17. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

wow, i never seen a doubled die 1939 monticello. Nice! as for the 1940 and other 1939 nickels, i dont see anything. They arent worth much as far as i know, so no need to weigh them or do detective work. Just get a red book and get familiar with it. The ana photo grade book is great as well.

SmokinJoe and calishield like this.
  18. SmokinJoe

Thanks joecoincollect, I appreciate your advice...On the 1940 nickel, That is actually the reverse of the 1939 and what I ment was the " S " has the shape of the "S" on the 1940 nickel...From what I have been told.
    Guessing that would / should increase the coin's value, no?

joecoincollect likes this.
  19. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

hmm, i would assume so. I'm not familiar with that variety. Might be worh grading if it retails high. Cool find

SmokinJoe likes this.
  20. SmokinJoe

Thanks!

joecoincollect likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted